Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report Châtel 13th-22nd Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Out Picked up kids from school and dashed to Eurotunnel. Got on crossing 30 mins early - no problems. Dinner was sandwiches in tunnel. Drove (shared) to the first Aire (Aire du Bois Defendu) on the A39 SE of Dijon arriving at about 02:00. Was quiet and, importantly, dark so we got about 3 1/2 hours sleep before getting on the move again at ~ 05:30.

Route was over the Jura via Poligny to crossing into Switzerland at Valorbe. The Jura had clearly had a monumental dump of snow, but the roads were clear except one or 2 places where a roof-full had slipped into the street (in one case on top of their car!).

Crossing at Valorbe was unmanned. Didn't stop, but bought Vignette at first large service station (after 20 miles or so).

Arrival Arrived at Lings at ~09:30. Picked up skis from Skiset Evolution. Friendly service, and we changed in-between the racks of boots at the back. On Linga lift by 10:10. Lunch first day was the self-service part of Chez Crepy in Plan Dranse. It was either the food, or just that I was starving/tired, but it was marvellous! Interestingly, later in the week we ate on their restaurant terrace (with waiters and so on) and the experience was not as good!

General Observations We hired privately a 2 bedroom (~68m2) apartment. In theory for up to 8, but for just 4 of us. Good location, except was 2nd floor with no lift. Can supply details if required, and would recommend. Most days we drove to Pre la Joux arriving at 08:30. By travelling in a black XC90 we were entirely inconspicuous amongst the multitude of other black, UK plated, XC90s wink

The first lift was 08:30 but the Rochassons doesn't open until 09:00, so typically we did a quick blast up and down Chaux des Roses to both kill time, and get the legs going. It not easy getting my kids to be at the lift at 08:30, and this is probably earlier than we've ever skiied, but well worth it. The first hour or so was quite quiet, and generally the best few runs of the day.

Probably our favourite area to ski was the wide open area above Avoriaz (Using the "La Fornet" lift). Our least favourite was the day (Tuesday) that we tried Torgon/Morgins. Its drag-lift central, and the snow was brown.

We are a family of pescatarians (fish eating veggies) and so food can sometimes be a problem. We ate well in Chez Crepy (inside, but not so much out), La Abricotine (at Les Brochaux above Lindaret), Chaudron (in the Lindaret goat village), Le Grizzly on the Route du Vonne in town and the pizza place 2 doors up did good pizzas, but the service was only so-so. We also had good food (for burger and chips) in the Swiss place (Cookie?) at the top of Mossettes, but it was quite pricey (£74 for 4 inc 2 large beers)

Departure Checked out and drove to Linga, skiied until ~15:00 dropped off rental kit and left the area at about 15:30. The drive up to Vonne was fine (winter tyres for the first time) but on the way down the other side there were lots of drivers (going up and down) who clearly should have put chains on. The rest of the drive was unremarkable, other than to note that the queue into Switzerland at Valorbe (i.e the opposite way to us) was ~4 miles!

We made it to our hotel (La Vallee Heureuse) in Poligny about 30 minutes later than intended. We were met by the host who took our bags straight to our room. After a quick swim and a spell in the hot-tub we headed for dinner. Being a small hotel with a limited menu we weren't sure how things would pan out, but managed to find some nice salads to start, and the main course of smoked trout was excellent.

I fancied the Creme Brulee with Macon, but the kids were exhausted. Breakfast was bread, croissant, fruit, cereals, coffee, and some kind of freshly cooked almondy little cake things. Really good.

Its a rather quirky, slightly chaotic place, but friendly and I'd definitely go back.

The drive the next day was fine until the Tunnel which was typically heaving, though I thought the overflow car-park arrangement was a vastly better idea than previous scrums.

All in all it was a great holiday, though in truth I'm not sure my legs have got 8 days of skiing in them any more. Despite being half-term we had some great skiing and it was nowhere near as bad as it had been hyped up to be.

Hope this helps someone in future. Any questions ask now, whilst I can still remember the details wink

LR
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy