Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Whistler and Banff - Christmas 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,

I am currently in the process of booking my holiday where I am going to be luckily enough to spend 2 weeks skiing Whistler and Banff with a short Vancouver stay in between (to help rest my weary legs).

I am aware that the snow is very different in each place, dry vs wet but what I was wondering was, is there a specific order you think would be best to do ski these?

Should it be,
Whistler then Banff
or
Banff then Whistler.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you been to either before?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No haven't visited either yet. This is our first time skiing anywhere other than Europe!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First of all I'd just say what a great trip. Both beautiful resorts in stunning scenery and Vancouver is a great city to visit - I'm very jealous

We've been to both and yes, the big difference is likely to be in the snow condition, with Whistler likely to be heavier, especially lower down, although maybe not such an issue at Christmas when it should be pretty cold, I'd imagine. We stayed in Lake Louise and ski-ed there and at Sunshine Village (about a 40 minute drive away, maybe half an hour or less from Banff - 16km acc to the Telegraph review). Lake Louise was very cold so the snow stayed hard/icy in parts all day. Sunshine was in good nick and most enjoyable open terrain for the most part. You can also get to Kicking Horse in about an hour from Lake Louise, so maybe 1hr45 from Banff - well worth a day trip to try another resort. We never got to Norquay, the mountain nearest to Banff, as the amount of terrain didn't seem worth the trip from L. Louise

As for which way round to ski, well there's probably slightly more ski terrain at Whistler/Blackcomb, so maybe you should go there second when your ski legs will be at their best, but either way round I'm sure you'll have a cracking trip.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've only done Banff and it has been seriously cold a few times (-34 at Lake Louise) so definitley take some thermals! Sunshine is probably my favourite but I have to say that Norquay isn't massive but it is just so empty that it can be a really lovely days skiing. My kids absolutely loved Norquay. Lake Louise is the furthest to trek from Banff and Norquay the nearest. We also went to Kicking Horse for a day which is a bit of a trek but they'd had a massive snowfall overnight so it was pretty magical.

After a half term skiing in france, we're looking at banff for next Easter. Sorry, hasn't answered your question but you'll have fun
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You're right about Lake Louise, Bagginsmum, it was mighty cold when we visited a few years ago (in February). It averaged around -10C during the day and -15C to -20C at night. You certainly didn't want to walk around for long without full skiwear on. Probably the most scenic place I've ever been to though.

Even at Calgary airport it was -12C (outside, of course Little Angel )

Philip67: after skiing in Europe, the great thing was that there were almost no queues for the lifts and the lifties were incredibly friendly. We were warned that one day was a big Alberta bank holiday and that it might get busy, but they told us that if we were used to European resorts we might not notice - that was the day when we went to Kicking Horse and although there was a queue at the resort level main lift, it never took more than 5 minutes to get in. Different world Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@philip67,

How are you going to get between them? Assume fly as you are heading to Vancouver in between. If so my preference would be to fly in to Calgary and out of Vancouver, simply because the longer overnight flight on the way back is quite good for sleeping. If you were going to drive then I'd recommend a stop in Kicking Horse and/or Revelstoke on the way.

I'd spend a little more of your time in Whistler than Banff. Scenery is better in Banff but the ski area is bigger at Whistler (and better IMO although I haven't spent all that much time in Banff). On the snow, Whistler snow WILL tend to be heavier but there will also tend to be MORE of it. Banff is relatively dry in comparison. If you get a powder day in Banff it will likely be lovely and light and fluffy but you are less likely to get one. I'd recommend a day heli-skiing with Whistler Heli if you haven't done it. You don't need to be very good (they have some blue run type terrain available) and it is not the full heli-lodge experience but it is still quite an experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
^ +1 to above the flight is the main thing I would bother about.

Whistler will be flipping expensive at Christmas - everywhere has a low, mid & High season price then they also have a "Christmas-NY 2 week lets get everything we can" price. Everything food, ski hire and lift passes. Criminal - never do it again. Also not the best time to go to Whistler as there is much less open either for not enough snow or Avalanche risk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the responses and advice, all taken aboard! We have decided to do 7 nights in Banff (to allow for the Christmas day ski) with 1 day doing something that isn't skiing. Then 2 days around Vancouver then finishing up in Whistler.

The main things were that Whistler had ski in/ski out so it will be a lot easier to get out onto the slopes and we only have 4 days there so really want to make the most of the time! I hadn't considered the flight but that is a really good point, will enjoy a good nap on that flight back!

We have got a flight booked from Calgary to Vancouver, seemed the easiest option and allows us to maximise time in each place!

I have already clocked that Whistler do rack their prices up between Christmas and New Year! How dare they!! I think we would look to go back to Whistler for another holiday probably at Easter time to really explore the mountains and have another holiday! (Just another excuse to book a further Canada holiday!)

Thermals are already packed Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've booked to head out to Banff for Xmas, arriving 16th Dec for 2 weeks. Last time we were there was 2009 when we spend time in Banff followed by a few nights at the Fairmont Lake Louise for our friends Wedding. Having done Europe each year since we decided it was time to return and when you consider it has cost us not much more than we would pay for a half term week S/C in La Tania with Crysteal we are already counting the days!!.

We looked at Whistler but having heard that rain at resort level is pretty common and the price hike for Christmas we decided to head back to Banff knowing how great it is. Money no object........We'd be doing what you're planning and trying both, enjoy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Save the best snow conditions (Banff) to the second week Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy