Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

buy skis here or abroad?

Poster: A snowHead
im going to chamonix/argentiere in febuary for 3 weeks and am going to be buying a pair of skis.
i was wondering if people reckon it would be cheaper to buy skis here and take them over or wait till i get there and shop around?
if anyone knows any good websites i can check some skis out on let me know
cheers
Neil
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to Wengen and will buy skis there, the major advantage being you can try out things when in the resort, while at home.... well the highest mountain within 100km from here is a roadbridge Wink
It may be more expensive, but better a good buy for more money, then a bad buy for less.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
theliveroom, - Neil, welcom to snowHeads snowHead

Try this shop in Chamonix, which is the only one I know of Chamsport, they sell as well or 'Ask Jeeves' / Google for ski sales in Chamonix for a broader list.

Other snowHeads might be able to actually recommend stores in Chamonix.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
theliveroom, there's a guy on here called "smallzookeeper" who has a shop in cham. He might be worth visiting. Just take his advice about fatter skis with a major pinch of salt, as he seems totally against anything under 80mm wide.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theliveroom, Welcome to snowHead Neill. I like the choice in Sanglard Sports, and the service in Coquoz Sports. Both are in the centre of Chamonix.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
theliveroom, if you know what skis you definitely want, then it;s worth pricing up before you go. Otherwise, go and try a few pairs out before you buy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
By febuary, i should be able to offer you a great deal on skis and bindings. Pop by the zoo, we'll give you a free boot M.O.T. and sort you out with some WTFH standard submarines. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, How do you 'try a few pairs out'? I went with the intention of doing so in Megeve recently, but they didn't have any of the ones I wanted to try.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
erica2004, How many shops did you visit? It's also possible that with the rocks around lately shops have been reluctant to let people try before they buy in case they ruin a good pair of skis, which can then never be sold! theliveroom, I suggest you go to see SMALLZOOKEEPER, and take his advice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, when I bought my skis, I went into the ski shop and said that I was looking to buy, and could I rent a different pair of skis each day....then at the end of the week, buy the ones I liked most. They were happy with that, and knocked the rental price of the price of the skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I thought that I would only be able to try the skis that were available for rent. Is it ok to ask to try out skis on the retail rack - the shiny, new ones?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski, Which skis would you suggest that I try? I'm 58kg 5'6" and have done 10 weeks skiing over the past 3 seasons. I have ladies Atomic C9 skis at the moment. I'm curious to know what other skis will be like. Mostly, I have skied on piste, but always like to have a go in the soft snow. I'm capable of skiing chopped up snow conditions, the odd mogul etc. I'm just starting to ski backwards and generally feel more confident 'playing'.
p.s.I don't want to have to work too hard Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
erica2004, You're about the same height and weight as me, and it sounds now as if you're ready to try something with a bit more performance in it. I really liked the Blizzard SLX when I tried them at the Mondial. they're a de-tuned slalom ski, I found they held well enough on ice, and were extremely agile, while being comfortable on a longer turn. I tried them in 165, but you might prefer 160 or thereabouts (I think I put more pressure on a ski than I think I do, if you see what I mean).

Also, you might like the Zag Le Rouge (I've just ordered a pair). They're a really nice all round ski. For Zags, they've got a huge sidecut, but are very fat fore and aft so should be pretty happy off piste. I found they turned and carved almost as well as a full-on race ski, held extremely well on ice, but were supple and manageable. Ise hated them BTW!! I also tried these in 163, which is the size I've ordered.

Only ideas, but I know from your posts that you are very keen to improve so you should be looking at a ski that will give you some feedback. I ski on the Fischer WC SCs in 155 which I love to death (even go off piste quite happily on them), but they are very heavy, and with your experience may be a bit too much at the moment!!

All of these skis turn easily, but might give you a little "reminder" if you really get it wrong!

Re: trying out new skis, most shops will let you try before you buy, but this may not have been the case until this weekend with all the rocks etc. They would, normally, also have test skis available for trial (IMEx). You may, however, have the problem that I often have in that all the test skis tend to be for men and a bit too long for me! GGRRR Twisted Evil
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Thanks for the advice snowHead My current skis are 150cm - should I stick with this length?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, I should think you could go to 155 and still take a performing ski. Probably go to 160 in a soft ski. After all - you've got 10 weeks under your belt now!! Very Happy

I ski from 155 (full on slalom ski) to 170 (off piste Monster), but prefer 155 stiff to 165 soft. Find the 170 a bit long unless I'm going fast-ish. Shock You're an inch taller than me, so I should think 150 in a soft ski would be a bit unstable now.
latest report
easiski, Thanks - best advice I've had. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy