Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First Helmet

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a beginner snowboarder (and am also now learning to ski), I can get down a blue 'properly' (by which I mean linking turns) on a snowboard, whereas ski wise I've just started parallel turns, hopefully I can make some progress and do my first blue when we go in March!

Anyway the point of all that was to give you a rough idea of my ability as to date I've always hired helmets, but I saw Blacks are having a sale and the Salamon Ranger Helmet looks to be a decent price:

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/020219-salomon-ranger-helmet.html

Given that I'm still learning, should I buy a helmet now or wait (i.e. Keep hiring until I know more about what I want to do in the future)?

I am not anticipating going off piste for the foreseeable future, but when a bit more experienced I would like to give the park a go and also helpfully improve my en-piste skiing/snowboarding and move onto reds and blacks in time.

With that in mind, would this helmet make sense, as it looks quite cheap at the mo, hence a bit of a bargain, or should I just wait for now and get something in the off season or even next season (or beyond)?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A helmet is only any good if it fits you. So try a few on to find a decent fit and try with your goggles too. If you're going to stick with skiing/boarding it's definitely worth buying your own rather than renting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Always good to wear a helmet IMO, having your own is more hygienic, and gives you the benefit of a consistent good fit (They only work properly if they fit correctly).
so as Queen bodecia says, try a few, unless you are some kind of Mekon headed beast most should fit, find the most comfortable, stable helmet.

And remember to try the fit with a pair of goggles attached...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a Salomon Ranger and am very happy with it. Fits nicely, keeps head and ears warm. The adjustable vent on the top is very useful for dumping excess heat. A good helmet in my opinion.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I must have a mekon head, cos I find some helmets are more comfy / better fit than others. I have a skycap 2 I bought in the sales years ago, it fits me really well and my googles fit it too, but its cheap looking so whenever I'm away skiing I'm always looking for a nicer looking helmet, but I've never replaced it yet.... so for all you Mekon's out there - the Skycap us the way to go! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some good advice on this thread....

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2655521&highlight=#2655521

Nick
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have never fit any helmet other than a Smith Variant Brim which I sold a few years ago after my season.

This year I picked up a Holt AD for £52 and it fits like a glove...or helmet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The best helmet is one that fits you properly, is comfortable and you know hasn't been in a significant impact. I'm afraid a hired helmet will inevitably fail at least one of those criteria.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a Ruroc, people take the wee wee but I cant hear them and it fits me so well Happy - Like with ski boots, try then buy and only buy if it fits simples
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PaulC1984 wrote:
I have a Ruroc,

Luke..... I am your father!!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@GlasgowCyclops, I seem to remember a certain dodgy eyed scot wanting one 5 minutes after seeing it..... or perhaps you were just saying that the make me feel better Happy

I actually got a lot less abuse on the S11BB than I thought id get, or perhaps I was that far in front I couldnt hear Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ps are you going to the S12BB?! You had better be, we need a rematch on that damn pool table Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@vjmehra, That helmet looks fine, but it's not especially cheap. Yes, buy a helmet now. Nothing to lose. Buy this one ig you particularly want this one, but there are thousands out the for the same price or significantly less. Amazon have 500 helmets under the £50 mark, and all should do as good a job as the Salomon one. Helmets do need to fit well, but unless you are a Mekon then it should be easy enough to find a decent helmet. If it doesn't fit, send it back.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have to agree with others. Try one on.

I needed one with an adjuster so that I could tighten the sides to my head (alien shaped head). I also wear a thin hat under mine as I am folically challenged. Will your goggles fit?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you've got a decathlon near you then have a look in store as they always have loads left in http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-843522-ski-helmets/T-147373_147370D
snow conditions
PaulC1984 wrote:
ps are you going to the S12BB?! You had better be, we need a rematch on that damn pool table Happy

yep i'll be there
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy