Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Loooooong flight delay - apart from that Finland was fab!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We had a really good time in Rukka, Finland last week and I can highly recommend it. That was lots of really nice quality, powdery snow and the pistes were very well groomed. There are chairlifts which was a huge bonus for me as I really hate the drag lifts. We were lucky with the weather as the coldest it reached was -12 on the day we arrived and the rest of the week it got as warm as 2 degrees. Lovely views and some cracking wide, blue runs which were perfect for me. The people were very nice and the accommodation clean and comfortable. It all went to rat's poo-poo for us though when we hit this massive delay. We had to vacate our rooms yesterday at 10am for our 12.30pm flight. We were told that there was to be a delay. We then spent 9.5 hours killing time in a Subway restaurant! Now us and the kids like Subway as much as the next person, but it will be quite a long time before we visit one. I can recommend their food and the coffee was very nice too!!! We finally took off at 22.50 last night, arrived back at Gatwick at 00.50 and got home at 4.50am. Apparently it was because Gatwick was shut the day before (Saturday) for 2 hours due to unexpected snow. Also Chambrey Airport was shut and skiiers there taken to Turin and our plane was consequently diverted - what a flipping nightmare. I think that the tens of millions spent on weather forecasting should be diverted to finding cures for horrible diseases, and forecasters return to ancient methods like cows lying down etc!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bambionskiis, sorry about the delay but it was a lot shorter than that suffered by some of the skiers returning home from the alps given the (mostly accurately forecast) snow which seems to have been widespread. Some of them who spent that long stuck in their cars on closed motorways would probably have been happy for a few hours in a Subway restaurant.

Why, by the way, did you spend 9.5 hours there? Nowhere else to go?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@bambionskiis, what hotel did you stay in ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Finland is on our 'to do' list bambionskiis. Fancying a DIY package and trying out a couple of resorts. Was yours a package hol for a week?

How were food and drink prices? And did you see any sign of the Northern Lights?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, we are going to Yllas in four weeks, if you have any specific questions, or want any information that I might be able to get for you while i'm there, pm me a list of questions and I will do my best to help.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Pam - sounds like a nightmare all around. Stuck in a stationary car with our 2 kids for hours sounds like hell, so we did get away lightly in retrospect! The hotel needed our rooms so we had to leave and it is such a tiny village, that there was nowhere else to go. There are some restaurants, but quite rightly, they would have expected us to leave after our meal and there aren't any leisure-type amenities in the village, ie, swimming pool. We had to "stay local" because no-one could commit as to when the plane would be arriving, so we all just hung around waiting for the call. When the time came to leave for the coaches it turned into a massive dash. The reps said we had 10 minutes and that we had to run.... they were even carrying some of our luggage!! Not sure why as we were in the airport then for quite a while, but hey ho. We went with Crystal so a one week package tour. We spoke to someone else who said they had looked into DIY, but she said it was "too hard" as flights are infrequent apparently. I didn't look into it so can't comment. Tour operators stop going there at the end of half term as the resorts "just fill up with Fins" and hotel prices rise accordingly. We stayed in the Rukka Village apartments which were very nice - no complaints. As to expense, that's a difficult one. We went half board as we had heard that food was expensive and just had a coffee and a couple of cakes at lunchtime (we filled up well at breakfast!) which was fine. There were a couple of karaoke bars and a few "normal" bars but as we aren't interested in après ski anyway, we just took a box of wine with us and had tap water with our meals, so not sure on prices. Ref Northern Lights, it was more a case of the sky going really weird colours (mainly pinks and greens) in places, almost like coloured clouds against a night sky if that makes sense. We can therefore say we saw them, but certainly not the beautiful dancing lights you see on TV. We were satisfied though that we "saw something" though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy