Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm very worried about my boots...

Poster: A snowHead
We just returned from a week in Verbier where I was skiing in my new boots which were bought (and fitted) from a nice man in Bicester.

1. Day 2.
Lift line...my wife asked me "So how are the new boots today?"
"A bit better, I don't have to let the clips off on every lift, still flippin' tight though"
An immaculately dressed leady turns around and let's me know exactly what kind of a sucker I am!
"I am so tired of telling other British skiers how they have got the wrong boots! Your boots should never be uncomfortable or tight. Why should ski boots be different to ordinary shoes? You don't buy ordinary shoes that are so tight you have to take them off! My new boots were perfectly comfortable from the day I bought them."
She continued
"I've had this conversation with the owner of Boit A'Skis ( a rental shop in Verbier) who told me he has at least three people a week, all British, who come to him because their new boots are too tight.
So where did you get yours?" she asked me

"Bicester" I replied

"Well, humph! Bicester! That says it all!" (look of disgust/pity) "I got mine in Westfield, he took two hours and I tried on a dozen pairs until he found me the ones that were perfectly comfortable....Bicester! Really!?"

Lift arrived...we parted company

2. Day 6
I am riding a cabin with a lady and her two young daughters, about 9 and 6 years old.
"Mummy, how is Granny? Will she be alright?"
"Granny will need a wheelchair at Geneva Airport, but she will get better"

"Oh dear" I said "What happened?"

"She was skiing and fell over when her boot came off, she fell and cracked a bone in her heel when her foot hit the snow"

"Wow, never heard of that happening in a ski boot"

"No, her boot came off her foot, not off the ski. Her foot came out of her boot"

I looked down at all our boots, trying to visualize how that could happen.

"Were they rentals?" I asked

"Yes"

"I think you need to go to a different rental shop next time. I've just noticed that your daughter is in size 26.5 with a 307mm sole. My boots (I'm a full grown man) are 25.5 and 297mm. I'm quite sure that in ordinary shoes my size is a lot bigger than your daughter's!"

"But, they are very comfortable, aren't they darling?"

All this while she was tightening up the buckles on the daughter's boots to the absolute tightest point they could go!

Sorry for the long post, but I am worried about my boots:
By the end of the week my boots were tight to get on, but very close fitting, yet comfortable, and no need to loosen up during the day.
But did I make a mistake? Should I go to Westfield next time, or rent from Boit A'Skis or somewhere else?

Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rungsp, Laughing Laughing I do hope the nice man in Bicester sees this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rungsp, Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rungsp, I'd been thinking of going to see the nice man in Bicester as I felt that my boot liners seemed to be getting a bit packed down and less snug. Actually though, I must be mistaken as I definitely can't remove my feet from the boots without undoing the clips. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:
We just returned from a week in Verbier where I was skiing in my new boots which were bought (and fitted) from a nice man in Bicester.

1. Day 2.
"A bit better, I don't have to let the clips off on every lift, still flippin' tight though"
An immaculately dressed leady turns around and let's me know exactly what kind of a sucker I am!
"I am so tired of telling other British skiers how they have got the wrong boots! Your boots should never be uncomfortable or tight. Why should ski boots be different to ordinary shoes?

Err, well you could have replied "because ski boots (unlike ordinary shoes) have to precisely transmit forces imposed by the skier and receive feedback from a long plank rigidly fixed to the boot!" wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't you just hope woman1 is also Granny2

I always struggle to work out whether it was fatigue or inibriation was why I couldn't get my boots off... Seems they're just too tight.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
everyone is different, i was astonished when my boots were fitted and are a 7.5 when i am a size 9 normally. Two years of agony and then got them fixed by grinding out a small piece behind the tongue and they are pretty comfy now. A foot coming out a ski boot is ridiculous and they must have been massive for that to happen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I cursed the man from Bicester the first four days I had my new boots. Three years on (50 days on snow), and a bit of work on the shell and I still unclip the boots on the first day of the season (and still curse), but by day 2 of each season, they are magnificent - comfortable and brilliantly controllable. Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
when i was learning we had to do a morning skiing with all the clips undone. it was very educational.

i'd certainly never put up with tightly fitting ski boots again. they must be miles too big if your foot pulls out though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rungsp, I wouldnt worry - you have said yourself that by the end of the week they were Ok.. - another week and they will be snug..........!

Nice man in Bicester would 'adjust' them if necessary....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You still need to 'break in your boots' ... like any pair of shoes - I tell ya, when I switch from Ski Boots to Hiking boots my hiking boots literally kill my feet, even though I know they're perfectly fine ( I've walking well over 2000kms in them !! I've just gotta let my feet adapt from ski boots to hiking boots.

Same applies visa versa, Switching from hiking boots to Ski boots is a total killer for the first week, even though I have moulded boots they still kill my feet... I've just got to get re-used to them is all. I know there's nothing wrong with my boots.

I find it better to wear my ski boots for a few days pre season to kinda semi break them in - otherwise I get cramping arches. ouchy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@rungsp, I got my boots from the same place (I presume). My boots are a very snug fit and I also did question whether they were too small. The first ski holiday I was in a lot of bother over my ski boots so I went back twice and had more internal boot shaved out. Last year on my ski holiday they were magnificent and I was very happy. I tend to go to Hemel for a quick ski before I go off on holiday (went there yesterday) and still struggled yesterday on that first session of the season, however I have every faith that they will be as good as last year on the slopes. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Verbier cable cars always deliver absolute gold.

Early 2010, Horizon, Swirly and I are in the lift up from Ruinettes (I think, memory somewhat fuzzy) with two English gentlemen talking about the previous evening. Two things emerged from their conversation. First, gentleman #1 had pushed an empty beer bottle into his bottom the previous evening in company and was now somewhat embarrassed about that. Drink may have been taken. His friend was not massively sympathetic to his PR problem or any other form of discomfort he was suffering. Second, they assumed we were German, for some reason and were therefore unconcerned about the nature of their conversation being overheard.

I'm not sure what it is about the place that ensures the calibre of moron remains as reliably high as it is. Boot lady is in fantastic company.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gorilla wrote:
First, gentleman #1 had pushed an empty beer bottle into his bottom the previous evening in company and was now somewhat embarrassed about that

Truly one of the most amusing things I've read on here, thank you!! Did he say which way round? LOL

I now feel better about my drunken dancing on Saturday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Was that Assahi lager?
latest report
People are often mistaking Pils for suppositories Laughing
latest report
I always give the rim a wipe before I drink out of a bottle.
snow report
You can buy boots at Westfield? Brilliant, can go for late night shopping, dinner and get some boots at the same time! This sounds chuffing brilliant.
snow conditions
@Filthyphil30k, Nah, it was an anu-Sol - ...the worst bit was he lost his wedge of lime...
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:

Truly one of the most amusing things I've read on here, thank you!! Did he say which way round? LOL

I now feel better about my drunken dancing on Saturday.

+ 1 Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@gorilla, a friend of mine was on the London Underground and there were three Thai girls chatting about the other passengers.
They discussed each man saying whether they fancied him and "would they?" or not.
He was brought up in Bangkok where his father was Swiss Ambassador and speaks perfect Thai (though is European).
As he got up he thanked them for the positive feedback that he had got and wished them a nice day....he said their reaction and the look on their faces was something to see!
latest report
@rungsp, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
rungsp wrote:

1. Day 2.
"I am so tired of telling other British skiers how they have got the wrong boots! Your boots should never be uncomfortable or tight. Why should ski boots be different to ordinary shoes? You don't buy ordinary shoes that are so tight you have to take them off! My new boots were perfectly comfortable from the day I bought them."
She continued
"I've had this conversation with the owner of Boit A'Skis ( a rental shop in Verbier) who told me he has at least three people a week, all British, who come to him because their new boots are too tight.
So where did you get yours?" she asked me

"Bicester" I replied

"Well, humph! Bicester! That says it all!" (look of disgust/pity) "I got mine in Westfield, he took two hours and I tried on a dozen pairs until he found me the ones that were perfectly comfortable....Bicester! Really!?"

Lift arrived...we parted company

"Yes"

"I think you need to go to a different rental shop next time. I've just noticed that your daughter is in size 26.5 with a 307mm sole. My boots (I'm a full grown man) are 25.5 and 297mm. I'm quite sure that in ordinary shoes my size is a lot bigger than your daughter's!"

"But, they are very comfortable, aren't they darling?"

All this while she was tightening up the buckles on the daughter's boots to the absolute tightest point they could go!

Sorry for the long post, but I am worried about my boots:
By the end of the week my boots were tight to get on, but very close fitting, yet comfortable, and no need to loosen up during the day.
But did I make a mistake? Should I go to Westfield next time, or rent from Boit A'Skis or somewhere else?

Very Happy

A short version of my woes.

I can sympathise with you. I bought mine 3 years ago from a highly regarded boot fitter and after 8 weeks skiing and 2 further visits to the bootfitter (who did try hard to sort my problems) I still had toes touching the end of the boot, ankles rubbing the sides, boot tight on the top of my foot, very cold toes and calf muscle ache. So I decided to visit a bootfitter where I was skiing last week who was smug in telling me they were too small. I thanked him for his feedback and went to another shop to be told the same and the same in a third shop.
I took the plunge and bought a new pair of boots in a 28.0 instead of the 27.5 I was currently wearing and my toes do not touch the end, have warm toes, ankles do not rub, foot does not touch the top of the boot and my calf muscles do not ache.
I like a snug boot but 8 weeks of pain (2 weeks of such pain that it spoilt the holiday) whilst trying to break them in and at many stages I did wonder if the fitter had got it wrong.

As much as I want to support the UK Snowsport industry there is something to be said for buying hardware in resort and just popping back for a tweak and then trying them again and doing the same again if needs be instead of the visit to the bootfitter in the UK once you get back and going skiing for the week and hoping they are right again to find they are not and having to wait to get back to the UK again for a tweak and trying again.

So I have no dread or fear the new boots will be killing me on my next trip. All sorted albeit an expensive problem solved.
snow report
@Jerby, no sympathy needed!

To be clear I am 100% happy with my boots and the service I got in Bicester.
I fully expected new boots to be very snug indeed...they were, but after a few days they are tip-top.

If the tone of my post wasn't clear I apologise!
ski holidays
Jerby wrote:

I like a snug boot but 8 weeks of pain (2 weeks of such pain that it spoilt the holiday) whilst trying to break them in and at many stages I did wonder if the fitter had got it wrong.

Snap for MrHL...but after 2 weeks of pain (and having had adjustments) and having to take the boots of at the end of every run, he binned them. I was pleased as I don't like to see a grown man cry
ski holidays
adithorp wrote:
Don't you just hope woman1 is also Granny2

I always struggle to work out whether it was fatigue or inibriation was why I couldn't get my boots off... Seems they're just too tight.

Yeah I was reading down and praying that it was the same woman. Laughing

I do like Boit a Skis though. I don't hire but the group I ski with often use them and they are a very hospitable and friendly bunch. They usually chuck in free locker rental for me too.
latest report
I'm on day one with a nice new snug pair this weekend. Wish me luck Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy