Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MCL Grade 1

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
During a nasty fall today, I twisted my knee and heard a click. I continued skiing for a while but with quite a bit of pain, esp most of runs back to the village were moguled. I was taken to the village trauma center, x- rays, examination and was diagnosed with MCL most likely grade 1. I was told to wear a knee brace, no weight bearing for a while, was recommended crutches and to come back in 2 weeks. I can walk but cannot really bend my knee. We still have about 20 days of skiing this season, next trip planned in 2 weeks. Has ony of you had any similar experience, any suggestions what might help a speedier recovery? Many thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gde, only experience is of a stretched MCL as a side effect of a more serious injury..but it was unstable for a good while... No idea what grade. Are you talking sprain or tear?

I would suggest early physio advice
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had a mcl diagnosis, which later had a tibia plateau fracture thrown in. Ligaments take longer than fractures to heal. I recommend physio straight away, lots of ice, elevation, and rest. My accident was done in November and I have had one non ski skiing holiday, but will hopefully ski next time end of March. Mine was diagnosed as a sprain but was more of an issue than the fracture. Feeling good now, but I have a lot of muscle wastage. Good luck!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds like a carbon copy. Did mine on day 3 of the trip (10 days ago) - avoided trauma centre as I still had hope of skiing again (fat chance) - couldn't walk the day after. Had electro and ultrasound therapy at the physio yesterday - fingers crossed as I'm away for a weekend at the end of March. Physio said three weeks for it to feel more normal and hopeful of being OK to ski with brace in 5-6 weeks (I'm kind of relieved it only looks like about a 30-40% tear but any unintentional twist at the moment makes me a bit more dubious about whether I'll make the slopes this year).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gde wrote:
During a nasty fall today, I twisted my knee and heard a click. I continued skiing for a while but with quite a bit of pain, esp most of runs back to the village were moguled. I was taken to the village trauma center, x- rays, examination and was diagnosed with MCL most likely grade 1. I was told to wear a knee brace, no weight bearing for a while, was recommended crutches and to come back in 2 weeks. I can walk but cannot really bend my knee. We still have about 20 days of skiing this season, next trip planned in 2 weeks. Has ony of you had any similar experience, any suggestions what might help a speedier recovery? Many thanks!

The priority is a clear diagnosis. This comes up on snowHeads often enough that I've expanded on it here http://www.wimbledonclinics.co.uk/blog/how-to-get-a-diagnosis-january/

If you do have a grade 1 MCL then with physio ( immediately) you could be reasonably well recovered in about 4 to 8 weeks, depending in what you want to do on the knee. Again if a genuine grade 1 then brace is for comfort alone.

Try to find a recommendation for a good physio in your area.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy