Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves - which one's are the best for me? Help please!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I really suffer from the cold and need some good gloves to battle through my upcoming holiday in March to Les Contamines.

I've looked at Hestra Heli 3, they look good but the reviews are anything but consistent about how warm they are/how well they hold up. It's very confusing! I'm pretty set on some mittens, I especially like the crab claw-like ones!

Any recommendations? I already know about liners - I'd like to get a solid pair of solid mitts so no "Just get some liners" comments please Very Happy

Kind regards,
Dan
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I normally would use liners with any gloves but found that my hestras where warm enough without liners.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi and welcome to snowHead

You already seem to have the basic information sorted! Make sure they are a good fit and not too tight - you will get cold fingers if they are squashed against the end of the mitt. I have Level mitts which are very warm (too warm for my holiday last March - I also have a cheap pair of gloves for such times). Level give all their ski gloves a rating from 1-10 to show how warm they are, so you can compare. Unfortunately, only a few models are stocked in the UK but you would likely find a better range in resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Scarlet!

Great advice, thanks very much for replying! I didn't think about the fingers thing! Any other advice?

I'll check out Level now, not heard them mentioned before!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yeah Graeme - they do seem like a good set but for £100 Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DanielMurray, it's only money
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you truly suffer from cold hands, then heated gloves/mittens are the way to go. I spent hundreds over the years on 'the best' gloves, before I realised it was me and not the gloves.

I have used Snowlife, Hestra, Black Diamond heated gloves, but the latest Lucent ones from Outdoor Research seem to be the best by far. The downside is £200-£250.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DanielMurray, You can't put a price on warm hands!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mrs graz really suffers too. This season she bought down-filled mitts by Lhotse called 8516m (?). Together with liners she said she's finally found the solution! She bought some mitts last winter but they had separate fingers inside which didn't work for her, so watch that.

They are mahoosive but she's happy and that's the first time in 12 winter seasons I've known her to be completely warm (and she has electric boot heaters too! )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
...the latest Lucent ones from Outdoor Research seem to be the best by far. The downside is £200-£250.

Bought some heated gloves earlier this year, spent some time looking (online) at numerous options.

Ended up with the Blazeware X1 Heated Glove Liners. As far as I can see these are very similar (same?) technology as the Lucent gloves. Somewhat less expensive at £99 and can be worn under your choice of glove or mitt. Wife uses them with thin gloves for walking the dog in UK and big mitts when skiing.

So far worked very well. High heat lasts plenty long enough for decent dog walk, and low heat fine with mitts for a (short'ish) skiing day. Although probably going to get spare set of batteries for next year.

Don't be tempted by any of the cheaper Blazewear gloves you may find on ebay (or wherever) with only an on/off switch - they are nothing like the X1's.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you have mitts without separate fingers (which always seem to defeat the purpose) the tea bag style warmers are cheap and effective if you don't have a major problem such as Reynauds.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy