Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmaggedon France 21 Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Looking a bit grim - use this for news, questions, status updates etc.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh come on, it's fine. If we start yelling SNOWMAGGEDON!!!! every time we see a snowflake, it's going to lose what little meaning it had in the first place.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just cruised into the Tarentaise from Chambery, no worries.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have a look at the 'A40 from Geneva very slow today' thread....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Car left Les Carroz 10.00am, done 50 miles and been at a standstill for 5+ hours.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like most of the snow has passed through Lyon Chambery and Grenoble - but with the may diversions and closures I suspect it will be near anarchy in the terminals Sad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some hours ago we heard that having left resort at 7 am my niece and family had done 70 miles in 7 hours. Probably now stuck with lots of others on the A40, some where or other on the "Autoroute des Titans". Ironically they had planned on leaving late tonight, but after a broken collar bone yesterday put paid to their last day of skiing, decided to get out earlier. Mistake!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How are things looking driving up into the resorts?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Lizzard, looks just fine then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Main road through Tignes is wet (but maybe not for long) and remarkably quiet.......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@martinm, we are not about to see thousands of travellers stranded in their cars or at airports, or dossing in school sports halls for two days. Some people are going to be late into resort, and some others will have to hang about at airports. This is irritating, but not tragic.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hopefully not, but it doesn't look good out there. I'm travelling tomorrow so would like to know what is in store for me. And who knows, it may even help those who were moaning last time - anyway, I started this thread as a response to a comment from someone who is out there. But if you're happy in front of your telly that's fine by me snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
7hours to cover 100km on A40 is painful and worth letting others know to avoid. Moving now at 30kph near Jct 9. Anyone further ahead?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lizzard, Check some of the other comments on the A40 thread - people have been stuck in jams for upwards of 4 hours, Chambery is on pre alert for emergency accommodation, there are aircraft all over France and northern Italy. I chose snowmaggeddon because folks got used to that thread title and it helped a lot of folk 2 months ago - if you don't want to help your fellow SH - back off and let others do it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lots of cancellations at Geneva so I hear. We had a bucket of snow even down at Seytroux level. Husband managed two rotations to the airport ok.
snow report
Left courchevel 1850 @ 07:45, arrived chambery @ 09:20, no queue at check in. Straight through security. Flight departed 30 minutes late @ 10.25 (late arrival of in coming flight) arrived at BHX 15 minutes late. Back home in 1hr 30 including baggage reclaim. 2nd load of washing on, dogs picked up from dog sitter, Shopping done. Dinner almost ready. Wine open.

What's the problem. Very Happy
latest report
We left Chamrousse at 3pm after skiing until it got too foggy to see. We had a hotel booked in Lyon, and expected to be there in a couple of hours...until we got onto the autoroute. The A48 was closed, and traffic was at a standstill on the diversionary routes. After about half an hour of being stationary, we pulled off onto a tiny farm road that was visible on Google maps -- it was covered in deep snow but the wintracs were fine with it -- and took small roads all the way to Lyon, diverting whenever Google showed heavy traffic. Took us a total of three and a half hours so not too bad, but I feel sorry for those stuck on the autoroutes! When we went past one motorway we saw what seemed to be Police distributing care packages to those stuck in the cars...

The hotel here, the Crowne Plaza, is lovely Happy. Now off for a meal at Cite 33, then time for a good sleep before tomorrow's journey home. I hope things have died down speedier then!
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:

You missed some great new snow Laughing
ski holidays
martinm wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

You missed some great new snow Laughing

Well apart from that bit.... Sad
ski holidays
"Special Equipment" recommended for Méribel, but not mandatory yet
snow conditions
Sainte Foy has 2-3cm of snow on the road in resort, similar on the road up, should be OK with winter tyres. Summer tyres likely to be a non-starter. Main road to Val / Tignes is wet/slushy as far as La Thuile @ 1200m, lots of people starting to put chains on around there. Probably 5cm+ on the road in resort in Tignes.
ski holidays
Tignes les brevieres circa 5 cm on the ground. Still coming down gently and lightly. Various of our group out doing battle with chains. I'll do it in morning.....
latest report
I just heard that the last of our party got home at 1247 today - after leaving La Toussuire at 9 am yesterday - they spent several hours stuck on a closed A43 just west of Chambery.

No snow falling in the hills before Chambery - too much falling on the motorway after it.

We left an hour before them and sailed straight through - albiet very slowly on the A43. Tunnel was lovely and quiet and straight on to a train (guess most passengers stuck in the snow).We even managed to get an earlier crossing.
snow conditions
@snowlamb, snowHead well done. Horrible to end a holiday with a nasty journey. My sister's grandson has said that with his dad high on his opiate painkillers and giggling at times and his mother - a reluctant sole driver - high on caffeine, it was a peculiar journey yesterday, taking something like 11 hours to reach Dijon. He'd have been OK with his electronics, trying to ignore them both....
snow conditions
@pam w, I can identify with the surreal elements you mention there! Laughing I think things would have been very different in my car if I didn't have adequate chargers for ipads etc..... Mad
snow report
pam w wrote:
@snowlamb, snowHead well done. Horrible to end a holiday with a nasty journey. My sister's grandson has said that with his dad high on his opiate painkillers and giggling at times and his mother - a reluctant sole driver - high on caffeine, it was a peculiar journey yesterday, taking something like 11 hours to reach Dijon. He'd have been OK with his electronics, trying to ignore them both....

Thanks, our journey wasn't entirely painless - food posioning and vomiting all the way home was less than ideal and meant the other half had to do all the drive - luckily kids were plugged in and don't think they even noticed Smile
ski holidays
O yuk @snowlamb. What set that off? I had a bout earlier this week but was in my own home with my own bathroom. Almost painless in comparison. wink
snow report
pam w wrote:
O yuk @snowlamb. What set that off? I had a bout earlier this week but was in my own home with my own bathroom. Almost painless in comparison. wink

Not sure -possibly a cold tartiflette from a self service restaurant on Friday - those of us who'd had it have all been sick. We'd only gone there because one of the kids broke his arm on day 2 and it was the only place at the top with a pedestrian lift.

Certainly the thought of it is making my tummy turn Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a pretty painless journey, left Les Allues at 7.15 arrived 16.45 at Tunnel. Some heavy snow after Chambery and chatted with a lady in a Service area about being lucky getting out of Les Contamnies. Worse bit of the journey was taking over an hour to travel 50 metres at UK passport control!
ski holidays
I heard about a flight yesterday that had to circle for a while due to the snow/technical problems in Geneva.

After a period of time the flight had to be diverted as it only had so much fuel on board;

back to the UK rolling eyes
snow conditions
Oh dear. Still waiting to hear from friends who had take their son and 2 kids back to Geneva for a flight at mid-day yesterday. They planned to leave resort at 0630 to be ahead of the traffic, but......
ski holidays
We left Lyon at 10am, had a very pleasant and problem free drive to the tunnel, got here at 4pm and into the flexi plus line skipping the queues to the check-in...but have now been queuing for 40 minutes and are only half-way towards the UK border! No idea what is going on, it's like the staff are on a go-slow protest...
ski holidays
@Szymon, on another thread where someone had had a big wait at Flexiplus it was pointed out that you can check in through any lane, and others might be quicker.
latest report
@pam w, the checkin was fine, it was the queue to the border that was slow -- but they were all slow. We have equal opportunity delays on the UK border Happy. Total wait was 70 minutes, crossed the border at 17:10 -- and we're now on the train somewhere under the English Channel (or possibly La Manche depending on how native you've gone living over there wink). Sandwiches and coffee and sweets loaded up at the "flexiplus lounge" (a static caravan at the side of the road, but with food and toilets) and didnt even have to go past the terminal -- I honestly don't understand why people save £50 and buy normal timed tickets.
snow report
@Szymon, I was just about to write here that when we came back to the UK early in February we went through border control before the check in - and on that day we queued 15 or 20 minutes which seemed a lot to me - but then realised that we were travelling P&O and not the tunnel.
We tend to travel out via the tunnel, particularly in the winter, but go back on a ferry.
snow report
@Szymon, I think very slow check in is the norm for Eurotunnel now, following their twitter feed it is delays every day. They also seem to have given up providing advice and just say email customer support
snow conditions
Quote:

I honestly don't understand why people save £50 and buy normal timed tickets.

I have always bought normal timed tickets, often got a different train, very rarely have to pay any difference and have only ever once encountered any delay, the day after the London bombing.

And all my travel is free with tesco clubcard points but even if I paid real money my return ticket is usually about £160 at most. A return Flexiplus is £480. Shocked I can buy my own chocolates.

But then I don't travel at half term Twisted Evil
snow report
@pam w, NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Neither will I from now on - that was my last one! Cool Cool Cool
snow conditions
I have never seen the point of Flexiplus at anything other than the most busy times. Even if you had to wait a few hours, if you are saving over £300 it's not a bad trade off.
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Oh come on, it's fine. If we start yelling SNOWMAGGEDON!!!! every time we see a snowflake, it's going to lose what little meaning it had in the first place.

Exactly,
Me and the other 74 Haute Savoie plated cars where getting around fine yesterday,

However for the tourists it was truly Snowmaggedon. I should start up a night time snow chain fitting service, the number of people who seem to struggle when it's too late still baffles. Coming to the alps? Check the forecast and plan around that. If needs be practise how to use chains and preferably fit winter tyres.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy