Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A40 from Geneva very slow today

Poster: A snowHead
Hi on A40 South of Geneva just after A41 jnt. Barely moved in last hour. French not up to traffic reports but sounds bad. Anyone any idea of what's going on and suggestions of alternate route?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow was forecast, I'll see if I can find anything. May just be heavy traffic.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like it's slow/stopped Geneva all the way to Bourg en Bresse....

GVA airport is reporting snow, so that could be the problem, although it looks like the traffic 'may' be OK going BeB to GVA.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Geneva, Switzerland
Saturday 12:00 PM
Heavy snow storm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh-oh. Still 100k short of B-en-B!
It is snowing but not heavily here and not really settling.
So advice to others is avoid A40.
Thanks martinm
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A40 to Geneva is blocked by snow at the col de Ceigne according to davidof on Twitter about an hour ago.

107.7 has English reports hourly usually.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Claude B. I've got traffic news on and 107.7 comes on but only French so far.
How far past Geneva is the Col de ceign by the way?
Sounds like in for the long Haul!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
google maps is now showing mostly clear, about 15Km slow about midway
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
From a purely selfish view, this is looking positive for my trip out to Val tomorrow..... As long as it stops snowing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
here's a pic from the col from an hour ago

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A43 live

http://trafic.autoroutes-trafic.fr/webcamApp/webcam.aspx?id=Area_A43_A48&x=142.25&y=190.5
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Delighted for you! Actually Courmayeur had about a foot of fresh powder this morning at the bottom so who knows how much at the top by now! Enjoy your trip.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Major technical problems at Geneva airport today means many flights are being diverted. No idea if this is related to the snow, but the web app seems to suggest its a technical infrastructure issue, whatever that means.

It's been snowing where I am 30 km or so away, but it's not that heavy although it is settling.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My niece, the lone driver with hubby with badly broken collar bone, reported snow and very slow traffic on the motorway between Geneva and the Col de Ceigne but that was hours ago - they left resort early, and I suspect they are ahead of the worst.

If the A40 really gets fouled up it might even be worth heading over the Jura via Poligny - but only if you have snow tyres and are ready to put chains on too, if necessary. I wouldn't attempt that road in the snow with summer tyres.

Good luck out there, guys.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitters, luggage belts have been out of order all morning, not a great day for them to break down
latest report
A 40 at St Julian en Genevois ir stopped
http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/trafic/vue/7538-france-rhone-alpes-saint-julien-en-genevois-a40-st-julien-en-genevois

A43/A48 split at Serezin de la Tour is snowing and stopped
http://www.viewsurf.com/univers/trafic/vue/7470-france-rhone-alpes-serezin-de-la-tour-bif-a43a48-pres-de-bourgoin-vue-orientee-vers-c

Good luck
snow conditions
It sounds pretty grim out there. Worst changeover day of the year and snowing. A good day to be aiming to leave the resort at about 6 PM... Having been enjoying a quiet day in new snow.
snow report
Road from Lyon-Grenoble closed as well due to a "gigantic bouchon".
ski holidays
3 hours to do 10KM from Chambery and that was after abandoning A40 after not moving between 10.30 and 12 at junction 11. God knows what the UK would be like in this.
latest report
What is the fricking problem? We get much more snow than this most years. Why is it such an issue this year?
snow report
All the heavy snow seems to be falling on Saturdays this winter!
snow conditions
It certainly was the day to leave early going by these reports. Left before 6am from Flaine and in Calais by 2:15. And the Eurotunnel processing is actually ok today.
snow report
If you are north of Lyon - its time to start thinking about a hotel. Chambery is on pre alert for emergency accommodation. I left GNB in the rain at 10 and had a reasonable journey cross country - looks like I made it with about an hour to spare.

A43 shut between Lyon and Chambery both ways till at least 1600 for snow clearance. Rest of the Mway system in virtual gridlock
latest report
@Doccam, Its widespread chaos now - can you change the title to Snowmaggedon France 21 Feb if you are on line - then we can keep the advice to one thread.
latest report
From Le Dauphine here are the estimates of time between various points (an hour ago though):
15 H 37 : Le point sur les temps de parcours

- A43 Chambéry / Lyon : 3h35 au lieu de 37 minutes

- A43 Lyon / Chambéry : 4h30 au lieu de 37 minutes

- A40 Passy / A40 Bellegarde : 2h au lieu de 1h en temps normal

- A40/A41 Saint-Julien / A40 Bellegarde : 2h20 au lieu de 20 minutes

- RN205 Chamonix / A40 Chatillon : 2h15 au lieu de 1h15
snow report
I'll start a new thread.
snow report
Google Translate from the Dauphine website
5:10 p.m.: Isère, the situation is still very difficult for motorists who were engaged on the A 48 to the Col de Rossatière before the paths towards Lyon are closed to traffic at the height of Voreppe.
Some users are indeed stuck for several hours (six hours for some) and have not yet passed the collar. This situation is almost similar to that of 20 November 2013 in which thousands of motorists were stranded for a day on the A 48. A reflection was conducted and measures had been taken to learn from this failure but this new deadlock revives questions about the relevance of the device.
Asked a few minutes ago by the Dauphiné Libéré, the secretary general of the Isère prefecture says that the blockage was caused by a series of incidents and accidents that have made the transition very problematic snow gear. "We continue to move people and we hope to achieve a complete evacuation within a few hours." According to him, the possibility of getting users in the opposite direction by removing the slides to evacuate was not successful "in that we have the opportunity to still move the stream, even very slowly ". The option of evacuation by use of different paths "has not imposed as the best," he added.
snow conditions
How much snow is there around Geneva as there's only about 3cm in Chamonix town!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, where I am near Rolle its all white but only a cm or two and the roads are just slushy and fairly clear. I presume Geneva is much the same
latest report
@pam w, the Col de Givrine (between Les Rousses and St Cergue) was blocked earlier today, I presume by snow, so it might not be a good idea at the moment
snow report
Ah no, it wouldn't be then! I drove home that way a week or so ago and it was beautiful - the road was clear, the day was sunny and it was the first time I'd seen decent snow cover with no hassle on the road. It was perfect.
ski holidays
Any update on traffic reports? Traveling from La Clusaz to Calais via the White highway (I hope) tomorrow.
ski holidays
I am currently on Eurotunnel after sitting, stationary, on the A40 for 6 hours at aire de repos de la Semine on the approach to the col. We had a full tank of fuel, food, drinks and a pile of books to keep us going. The conditions were miserable up there, as they have to close one side of the viaduct to snowplough the other side. It wasn't a question of tyres, chains or anything else, just bad luck that we caught the bulletin on 107.7 just as we passed the previous exit.

Not our best skiing holiday, what with Mrs Dosh nailing her ACL and me getting an ear infection.... Embarassed
latest report
For reference, we hit the aire at 0930 this morning, moving off again at 15:25. Friends 20km behind us were still stuck there at 17:30.
ski holidays
today as a busy busy weekend for change overs between most of europe's western countries,
it also snowed.

why drive today if you don't have too? why not plan correctly? beyond me sometimes...
the roads this morning at 6am where in great condition, get up early and avoid other idtiots travelling mid morning through to mid afternoon.
or travel sunday?
ski holidays
OliC wrote:
today as a busy busy weekend for change overs between most of europe's western countries,
it also snowed.

why drive today if you don't have too? why not plan correctly? beyond me sometimes...
the roads this morning at 6am where in great condition, get up early and avoid other idtiots travelling mid morning through to mid afternoon.
or travel sunday?

Not sure what your point is. The reason it is so busy is most people who are travelling today are doing so because they have to. It is the end of half term so there are people doing the trip in a single day who want to get home and give a day before the kids go back to school and even those doing a double hop will leave today and get back at a decent time tomorrow to give kids a bit of time to settle before going back to school. If the conditions had been the same as last weekend then there would not have been a squeak on here. What if the heavy snow had come through the night and early morning? Would your "leave early" comment have held water?

Hindsight is a great gift but we all wish we had great foresight. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@Gaza, exactly right - we left Les Gets two weeks ago on Saturday 7th February at about 8 a.m. and had one of our best journeys up to Calais ever, and were on a ferry around 4.30 from memory. We had no weather issues, no roadworks, no nothing really and bimbled along at no excessive speeds; we did leave a pile of snow in our own drive and our local road but after that it was clear so we were very lucky. Seems all quite different today.
latest report
@Gaza, the advice to leave very early or very late on these big transfer days is almost always right. If it snows all night be ready to hit it after the first plough. 6 am on my minor road. It's not hindsight. Pretty consistent advice here.

However there's also a deal of luck. I was out very early on the new year snowmageddon to take son to albertville. Just got back up by skin of teeth. Police insisting on chains, rightly, but the road I used was closed shortly after, I think because another lorry had got stuck. Police were directing traffic round one when I had driven up. Another half hour and I, d have been stuck. there is no comparison between traffic volumes today and those of two weeks ago. I would never drive on a busy Saturday if I had any choice. People leave Friday evening quite often. Or Saturday evening. There are ways of improving the odds.
ski holidays
Leave very early or very late is pretty much a rule to avoid hassle. Or leave on Sunday. Though on Sundays the roads are also busy as this is the day when weekenders leave, so the same rule applies as on Saturday.
snow report
@never summer, I'm not there at the moment but at New Year I noticed a lot more people leaving on Friday night than I'd seen previous years. If you're not going to ski on Saturday and leave late it seems a very sensible idea.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy