Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wild snow review of the updated Dynafit Radical Binding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
https://www.wildsnow.com/15949/ski-bindings-radical-2-0-review-dynafit/

Gold!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll have a limited number arriving in about a week. Only the 30th anniversary gold/black edition 90mm ST's are coming with all the other models coming in the autumn.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So what are the real advantages - other than the gold version will match my wet look latex ski pants with gold trim far far better?

Binding release better? less likely to pre-release? Smoother ride on hard frozen piste?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DB, all of those. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another cool feature is that you can rotate the heel in to tour mode whilst leaving the brakes deployed then when you click in the binding & stand on the brake lever it retracts & locks up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon are the brakes fixed to the binding like the beast or are they interchangeable?

I have been using the beast and apart from the failed toe piece now changed to the 14 toe piece which is in essence the same as the new radical I like the solidity of the binding with its lateral release ability, I did have a couple of asents and descents on a pair of king pins a couple of weeks ago and they felt, well...bomber although in the back of my mind I had the fear of falling with no lateral toe release, also the ability to loose all risers to the heel was very welcome I'm hoping that 2.0 will be the best of both worlds....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Like the Beast 16 & 14 the brakes on the Radical 2's aren't interchangeable so it's important to buy the correct width to future proof yourself if required. They do however cam-in really nicely when retracted so you can go wider than you think. I use my 120mm brakes on ski widths of 118mm, 108mm & 88mm.

The brake width options are 135mm, 120mm, 105mm & 90mm. However it is possible to purchase a pair of rear base plate/brake lever assemblies at a very reasonable price and just swap the heel turrets over.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
https://www.wildsnow.com/15949/ski-bindings-radical-2-0-review-dynafit/

Gold!

I just tried a tech binding for the first time with my new touring boots Very Happy

Went up Trou De La Mouche La Clusaz with Matt Helliker ( approx 1000m) a few days ago

Doubt i could have done that on my old Mantras.

I thought the dynafit skied remarkably well and so light when compared to my old setup.

Ive had some reservations about the lack of toe release so this may be worth a look.

thanks for the pointer.

We did say we would try and catch up in Chx. Im out in a few weeks again will you be around?

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's some misconceptions on this thread about Dynafit bindings not having a lateral release - they have, & always have had an adjustable lateral release - it's just that it's in the heel binding (well they do actually have a couple of super lightweight rando racing models that don't). In fact, many consider the lateral heel release in the heel (ie down the line of the leg) to be a safer/better option than the conventional lateral release from an alpine toe binding (see the tests done on Wildsnow).

The issue for some with the Dynafit toe was either:

- the lack of rearward elasticity in the heel meaning that in a heavy compression which shortens the ski the rear of the boot would hit the heel binding then as the ski continued to shorten in length the boot would be pushed forward out of the toe binding. The Radical ST/FT models for the last two seasons have a 6mm sprung heel so that if the boot hits the binding the heel can then travel rearwards (similar to the forward pressure movement in an alpine binding) thus avoiding the toe release.
&/or
- the lack of elasticity in the toe which on hardpack, especially with a wider ski, can give a rattly ride. It's the elasticity function that the Beast 16 (rotary & lateral) & the Beast 14 (rotary) models have. And it's the Beast 14 rotary toe that has now been mated to a redesigned Radical heel to create the two Radical 2 models (ST = 4-10din & the FT = 5-12din).

None of these new models have an adjustable release in the toe - it's not needed 'cause it's in the heel - just were it's always been. It's the elasticity in the toe has the big benefit.
And this is were the Dynafits score over the likes of the Marker Kingpin & G3 Ion, neither of which have any additional elastic toe function but instead rely only the central springs in the toe binding just like all the older Dynafit have done for years.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been doing a lot of touring recently in Italy and was interesting looking at all the kit being used by seasoned tourers.

Many were on old Dynafit TLT's without brakes, some had front leashes others nothing!

This season I've mainly been using my Fritschi Diamir Vipec 12's and now feel able to comment on them having clocked up around 12k vertical on them in all types of snow pack, and still have the main spring touring season to look forward to!

If truth be told maybe listening to various people I might not have considered them, as the first version had a lot of teething problems, but that is so often the case with "tech".

What is critical is the initial setup and mounting, if you follow the detailed instructions then it's not an issue.

I've had one fall and they released well. They are light and I've not had any untoward issues at all. Changing heel raise is a dream. I'm most pleased with them.

One of the reasons I switched was that I did my ACL using Dynafits and that's always been at the back of my mind, but as that Wild Snow report stated with Dynafit you're meant to have less chance of doing your ACL !!

Dynafit bindings (I've been using them for around ten years) have their issues and can ice up and that can be a real pain to sort out, again the more types of snow pack you tour in the more likely the chance of having issue with any bindings.

Next week I'm hoping to try the Marker Kingpin but sometimes as I freely admit I'm not too sure if I'll notice any difference rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spoke ot a guy in the lift today who was using Beast 14s on BD Megawatts - he said the rotating toe made a BIG difference to hard snow feel.

I can see a pair of these in my future.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Gold has been and sold.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, I had a play with a pair of Vipecs last year in a shop - the engineer in me thinks too much plastic. Suspicions confirmed when my Brother broke one side of the toe piece off yesterday. Warrantied instantly by a shop in Verbier. The most attractive thing about them is the zero degree ramp angle. Think I'll stick with Dynafit...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy