Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad behaviour on the pistes - down to Half Term or Chatel / PdS?

Poster: A snowHead
I’m wondering if the extensive experience of the snowheads collective can assist. Are the bad behaviours I've experienced on the slopes of the last week down to half term or down to making the mistake of going to Chatel?

This was our worst ever trip to the mountains, we normally go to Val D’Isere but as we’re Chalet hunting and can’t afford Val prices, we’ve starting to look at other places and on paper Chatel looked like a good option.

How wrong we were.

This was our first time skiing over Feb Half Term and also to Chatel.

From the moment we got onto the slopes last Saturday, it was a nightmare, the general gist being fast, out of control people going past you dangerously close or stacking into you. I managed to avoid a complete wipe out, but the poor Mrs got taken out twice.

Just a very few examples:-

Out of control snowboarder crashes into the Mrs and takes her out – in fairness he said sorry (he was the only one of the trip to acknowledge anything)

Skier being taught by his Dad and really struggling with parallel turns, I overtake wide and suddenly he’s a speed demon facing his skis directly down the slope, overtakes me (I was doing 30-35 mph (according to ski tracks) so not fast but not dawdling either) and then wipes out in front of me so I have to take fast avoiding action.

Snowboarder going somewhere between 40-50 mph gets so close to me as he overtakes, I could actually touch him. If I’d put in a turn, we would both be in serious sh*t.

Skier crossing an empty slope and takes my Mrs out for no reason at all. (GoPro footage below)

These are just a few examples, this behaviour was constant to the point that we didn’t even go up the mountain on our last day.

And we stuck to at least reds all week to avoid this, we weren't hanging around greens / the nursery slope.

Apologies for the grumpy old man moan, but is this normal in Chatel or is it just Half Term?

http://youtube.com/v/oc-sM3BVv1Y
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The video link told me it is private?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to hear you had a rough time. Your video comes up as private.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's half term and Paris holidays. The Parisians get a bad press locally. But they spend lots of money......

You would probably have found Val d'Isere just as bad - Steve angus has reported a number of similar incidents on his thread.

Can't play the video.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, new to YouTube, should be ok now?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Works now
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say its down to half term and a very busy time! I have been on ski holidays since the 1970`s and at peak period times you are far more likely to encounter bad behaviour simply because there are a greater number of folk on the slopes!

But I can't view your video as it says it is private?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't access your video footage-it tells me it's private.
Not skied in the PDS, but I'd say if was just half term craziness. Too many people, not enough slope.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
It's half term and Paris holidays. The Parisians get a bad press locally. But they spend lots of money......

You would probably have found Val d'Isere just as bad - Steve angus has reported a number of similar incidents on his thread.

Can't play the video.

That's interesting and hence the question, we're debating whether to avoid Half Term completely. We will probably try a different resort next Feb Half Term unless this thread advises to avoid that week everywhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Perty wrote:
Can't access your video footage-it tells me it's private.
Not skied in the PDS, but I'd say if was just half term craziness. Too many people, not enough slope.

The worrying thing is in the YouTube clip (should be ok now) it's an empty slope
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Same everywhere this week - have seen some extremely selfish behaviour and a fair few pushy parents forcing their kids down tight, technical stuff they aren't ready for. Usually in a crocodile that totally blocks the piste...... also lots of people starting off mid-piste without looking up hill. For a whole host of reasons this has been the first week in the alps that I'm glad is over Sad

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 20-02-15 18:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just viewed vid. Not exactly a busy slope, but the skier looks like a classic example of someone who looks at the thing they are actually trying to avoid, thereby actually pointing right at it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
By the looks of it the kid was joining the group just down from your wife but had zero regard for other slope users. Def skiing way too fast for ability as a competent skier who is capable of skiing at them speeds would easily have popped an additional turn in avoiding your wife.

Is this half term idiots not sure others will have to answer that for you but I think every ski resort will always have a few nittwitts like him, no matter what time of the year.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough time in Chatel. It's not normally like how you describe - granted there are the occasional crazy people on the slope and I'm assuming we all heard about that poor woman who had her leg broken in Val D'Isere but some out of control speeding skiers - so let's not put this down to a Chatel/PDS thing.

It is the holidays for UK, France and most of Europe this lends itself to busy pistes. For the reasons you cite in your post that you cannot afford Val D'Isere, nor can a lot of people. So, they come to places that aren't so expensive. It is also worth noting that it is Paris holidays this week too - from experience the Parisians are amongst some of the worst when it comes to mountain behaviours... very arrogant and make everything your fault (even when it's not)

Chatel is normally much quieter than it is this week, so unfortunately you're probably not seeing it at it's best - especially if you're heading on the main routes and not avoiding main junctions at busy points in the day... We've managed 4 days skiing this week whilst hosting the Chalet, and I've only had 2 incidents (both teenagers, who are kamikaze by nature regardless of nationality) so, it's not all that bad - if you know where to go when.... Ski through lunch, finish a little earlier to avoid crowds on the home runs, even though the down hill skier has right of way it's always worth checking your rear and if someone is coming towards you aim a ski pole at their face... normally works for me, and only got hit once 4 years ago when an unfortunate catch of an edge put a snowboarder in to my knees - no harm done, although I was angry at the time it was more because I have bad knees and thought I might've been hurt, but I was fine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mountain Addiction wrote:
it's not all that bad - if you know where to go when.... Ski through lunch, finish a little earlier to avoid crowds on the home runs, even though the down hill skier has right of way it's always worth checking your rear and if someone is coming towards you aim a ski pole at their face... normally works for me, and only got hit once 4 years ago when an unfortunate catch of an edge put a snowboarder in to my knees - no harm done, although I was angry at the time it was more because I have bad knees and thought I might've been hurt, but I was fine.

I hear you, and we did think this. If we were in Val, we'd know where to go and when. Our first warm up run this week was a down a blue cat track (not ideal for a boarder) because we were looking at a piste map rather than having local knowledge.
snow report
Combination of peak holidays (not UK half term per se), fast hard pistes and terminal over grooming. Seeing a lot of it here as well.
snow conditions
The guy didn't even acknowledge it Mad

Your missus was very polite though.
snow report
Nowt to do with PDS/Chatel and everything to do with folk who only get one-week-a-year, any year to ski and go hell for leather to extend their horizons and catch up where they left off the previous year.
VDI is no better - you can't help being in a lift queue at some point and when someone who is not stopping at the lift where you are queuing decides to collect your in-queue other-half on their way through, at speed, I kinda lose my temper and remember my ski-tech French to deliver vitriol to the offending Parisian (blerot).

I'm glad the Mrs was not hurt and smiled at the way her concerns changed when she understood she was ok: she started with the aggrieved and frustrated "Really....., really?......??" then moved straight to concern for the errant party: "Are you all right???"

Don't be put off PDS but do be put off peak season skiing...
snow report
Quote:

+1
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+1

Agreed. Found the same situation in Folgarida/Madonna di Campiglio over New Year. Sad
ski holidays
Also agree. We are lucky (at the moment) not to have to be in Les Gets during the busy weeks of February, and chose not to be there for NY either this year as neither of us like to be around too many crowds, and its fair enough to leave the slopes for people that do not have that choice. At busy times I would go out first thing for a couple of hours - then have a long cup of coffee and ski gently home.
snow report
Definitely the holiday season to blame. Had our 1st trip to the pds area a few weeks ago and had one of the best trips ever(I am on a board).
Sure in the 1st hour I had ticked off most of the crap you get on the pistes like our of control folk , queue etiquette Etc but soon got down to what I was there for (ie enjoying a week from work)
snow report
So many people just don't follow the FIS rules or have common sense.

Last week, unusually I snapped at a snowboarder who clipped the rear of my skis 'WHY ARE YOU SO CLOSE TO ME'. He immediately threw his arms out and shouted 'WHAT' while abruptly stopping.

It was at that instant he was totaled by a skier who didn't stop.

As I passed him, I muttered under my breath 'that's what happens when you get too close to others'

Karma Laughing
snow conditions
No it's defo Chatel- you can't trust those people on 'that' side
Of the PdS wink
snow report
Always plenty of idiots (many adult) when Paris descends. Which bit of the resort were you skiing in? Some parts are much worse than others. The red down from Plaine Dranse is particularly bad.

I've noticed it is always worse when you get the perfect storm (Dutch, Brits and Paris like this week) but can't say I've found Chatel particularly bad by PDS standards (Avoriaz is certainly worse). Areas like Verbier, 3V and some of the Italian resorts where I have skied have clowns as well.

Sorry you have had a bad experience - I really don't think it is representative of Chatel or the PDS in particular.
ski holidays
FullyTucked wrote:
The guy didn't even acknowledge it Mad

Your missus was very polite though.

Very polite in English. Wasn't clear the guy understood.
snow report
@trainee snowboard jedi, I can guarantee there is no way I'd have been as polite as your good lady!!! The German bloke who nearly took me out in Arabba was not greeted with a "really" Very Happy
Can't be called Touretteski without good reason though!!! Laughing
snow conditions
Being a polite English lady i'm surprised she didn't apologise to him.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@trainee snowboard jedi, crikey. Not often that it's entirely clear who's at fault. Pretty clear there and at the (apparent) rate of approach, your Mrs is lucky not to be seriously hurt. Poor her.

Half term. And grumpy old beggar I am, increasing idiocy on slopes in general.
snow report
The best place we have been to for good piste etiquette and good behaviour is Sweden, specifically Åre. I have seen people being bolloked for bad skiing there. Not by piste guys, but just anyone. Very agreeable.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have seen people being bolloked for bad skiing there.

"God morgon. Your excessive inner tip lead is most annoying. And stop waving your poles about in that fonny way. Runkare! "
snow conditions
TBH I have only ever skied grand valira andorra and Villars Switzerland at half term, give me Andorra anytime, not perfect but Villars was full of complete knobs using slower skiers and my disabled daughter as slalom poles.
snow report
Is this one effect of all the recent developments in ski technology? I have noticed a lot of people skiing a lot better in recent years, but also a lot more skiing fast and not in full control. I think that the new skis enable many novices to think that they can manage without lessons far sooner than in the past and they just become a liability on the slopes.
latest report
@pam w, Laughing

I meant "osällskaplig" skiing
snow conditions
Whilst living in Toulouse, we arranged to meet friends to ski in Soldeu. The weather was so snowy that we couldn't reach the resort so we skied in Aix Les Thermes. We stopped for lunch, and then were queueing for the lift when some people jumped the queue. The bereted folk said " get back in the queue, where do you think you are, the Alpes?" The offenders,Dutch I think, crept back into place and harmony reigned. Very Happy
snow conditions
So glad my children are now young grown ups and I don't have to ski at peak periods.

(Having said that I do have a clip of myself skiing accidentally backwards where I take out a nice French gentleman, where the whole embarrassment factor is increased massively by my appalling apologies in French. Too shameful to upload to youtube. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed )
ski holidays
Sorry to contradict the PDS fan club, but I visited Avoriaz last Jan, so low season; Morzine sat in a soup of smog, and Avoriaz and above Chatel simply had too many skiers for the area; overpriced and over populated; Champery had some more space, but was even more expensive. To be fair, Les Gets and Morzine had little snow, but this is the weakness of the area, where low lying, over built areas flood into higher resorts. Personally, I think it has become a victim of its own popularity, being one of the first stops from Geneva, and by car from NW France, UK, Belgium, Netherlands etc...... there, someone had to say it ( flamesuit on !)
snow report
Peak weeks bad everywhere. More occasional skiers with understandably less ability and awareness. Best head to tougher, more exposed, less well known slopes away from main hubs in peak weeks and download crazy home runs. Not worth getting injured. Also ski regularly down fall line at side of piste as less able skiers tend to stay in middle and generally only likely to be taken out on one side. Worst I've had this season is a Brit mate straight-lining into back of me despite previous quiet words. Just over-excited and unaware. Hopefully a few aches will educate him that skiing is turning and to keep a distance.
snow report
@cstreat, I love the PDS but yes, I can see that happening.
snow report
Unbelievable the monkey in the video. Would have been left in no doubt as to what sort of c* he was and possibly I'd have confiscated one of his skis and gone somewhere inaccessible with it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy