Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DPS: Hybrid or Pure?????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Replacing my STOLEN DPS Wailer 112 190 Hybrids, like for like.

I have skied on Soul 7 and Squad 7 since and know I want to repeat EXACTLY my DPS set up.

Good news is I can get replacements on insurance - bad news is there is no more UK stock of DPS Wailer 112 Hybrid 190... There are 190 Pure in stock but they are 30% more expensive than the Hybrids and no deals are being done on them because there are, apparently, no changes planned for the Pures for next season. I find that hard to believe but it would be nigh on impossible to verify.

My fear is that the Pures which are stiffer and lighter will feel more skittish whereas I was entirely comfortable with the Hybrid feel.

Anybody out there with experience of skiing both Hybrids and Pures? Feedback?

Also - be on the keen look-out for a pair of DPS Wailers 112 Hybrid with Beast 16s (2014 silver heels and 2015 gold toe pieces)...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Search on TGR for Marshal Olsen's comments on Hybrid vs Pure
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All my DPS are/skis have been Pure's so can't comment personally on the Hybrid. In general Pure's for touring/powder, and Hybrid for All Mountain.

I do know that the Wailer 112RP Pure has changed every year for the last 4 years, with last year being Pure 3 construction, and this year being RP2 with lower rise tip and tail rocker. I have not really being following the changes to the Hybrid skis, so don't know how they have been changing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had pure wailers and hybrid lotus120s. While it's hard to do a direct comparison, my take was that I preferred the hybrid construction most of the time. Pure was nice for touring and blower (not alps!) pow, but just too much feedback through the ski for heavier snow, crud etc...

I'd only go pure for a ski that was for touring in guaranteed soft snow. For any significant resort use I'd stick with the hybrid.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, That was on point ;o) Thanks. I like the way MO declares his interest. Sounds like the Pures will be more down my street and stop me from getting lazy - Captain Crud to the fore: making you work for your turns.

@PowderAdict, Hybrids are changing this year cos they are "on sale" but not by much whereas there is no movement at all on the Pure3. They're holding onto 14/15 stock for 15/16 - else, I am being misled. As if...

I'm leaning towards the Pures but I can't lean towards the Hybrids because there aren't any left FFS.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Footworks in Chamonix had them all in stock, plus offering a 20% discount if you had bindings and skins.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pure3's in the bag Madeye-Smiley

Offered a trip next week to try them out but going to restrain myself Confused
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have the Cassiar 95s in pure. I like them, but they are very light and off piste, need to be driven hard to stay on line. On piste, extraordinarily fast in a straight line or big to medium turns, but short turns and bumps are a challenge as they are very stiff and springy, and the rebound on them is a bit hectic. Very sensitive to inputs, and pretty delicate on piste: these, completely conversely to how you have to ski them off piste, require a fine touch. Tiring for the whole day, tonnes of feedback all the time. Unforgiving of fast direction changes/fast turn shape variations at high speeds unless you are willing to dig in the edges and pivot them, or really get down and push your feet into the mountain and force them to behave.

That said, the taut carbon construction and stiffness mean that they are very forgiving of swift balance changes for and aft: stay back too long though and they chatter, the stiff tails dig in and run away with you. The construction definitely leads to unique handling characteristics.

I think as others have said, for versatility, the hybrid construction would be better. These are unbelievably light though - the spring in them and low swing weight means getting them in the air and doing silly things is easy. And at very high speeds in long arcing turns, that carbon construction really seems to be very different - you feel as if you are skimming over the snow, but completely dialled in.

Weird skis. I like them, but don't love them all the time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy