Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have a done a terrible thing?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Chaps,

Having spent the day at MK snowzone for a session on Sunday, I had to decided to pop into EB on the way out (its only polite).
On my way out I spotted a load of EB Whitebook catalogues and assumed that as they were by the door, they were free, so grabbed a copy... When I got home I noticed a little barcode and a £3.99 price tag in the corner...

Have I inadvertently become a shoplifter or are they supposed to be giving these things away? Having suffered a sleepness night from the guilt of it all, it would be great to know either way so that I can make amends next time I'm in MK...

Very much hoping I'm not now on the FBI most wanted list!

R
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rjb1, dunno...but it will be amusing if the guy from EB who posts occasionally pops in.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@rjb1, They'll throw the book at you. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjb1, you've got my sympathy.

I bought my partner a Surfanic ski coat from TK Maxx back in December and went through the checkout as normal, only realising once I'd got it home that there were a pair of hand warmers in the jacket pocket. I presume they weren't intended for freebies but, like you, I've been wracked with guilt ever since. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They are free online, so I wouldn't worry about it too much! http://www.ellis-brigham.com/advice-inspiration/about-us/catalogues/whitebook
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Their lawyers might build a catalogue of crimes against you for that sort of thing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjb1,

No they are free.

So panic over look through the brochure and drool at the ski gear snowHead

Cotswolds are the same they have a price on their brochure but never charge for it.

But hey Ellis is the! white van man these days so keep an eye constantly in your wing mirrors NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you still feel bad you could always relieve your guilt by donating the £4 to snowheads! Personally I wouldn't worry too much, but thats just me. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't believe anyone would pay £3.99 for EB sales brochure......there's a thing called the internet these days, you'll be doing them a favour @rjb1, the pile will be smaller now!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Markymark29, be fair - the EB website is so unnavigable that I suspect that people would pay £4 for a premium service like an actual catalog.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not 100% sure but I think there used to be some sort of tax type thing attached to magazines which is why they all had a price.

I wasn't in a position to care about legalities etc, but we used to produce a free magazine at uni but had to price it up at £1.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used to use Argos catalogues in my wood burner. Five a night would keep us toasty.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all of your replies... Much appreciated!

I have been checking the FBI website every day and as of yet things appear to be fine Toofy Grin
That said, out of curiosity (sometimes work does get a little dull), I did a search for my name on Google which came up with a web site of Florida Offenders - My name sake is a sex offender of about the same height and weight as me - Not nice to know!

R
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjb1,
Quote:

My name sake is a sex offender of about the same height and weight as me

That's nothing!! I've just Googled myself and discovered I was one of the last people to be hanged for sodomy Embarassed

This could be a whole new thread!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I've just Googled myself and discovered I was one of the last people to be hanged for sodomy

Don't worry about it. Stephen Fry has a campaign to get you pardoned.
snow conditions
I've now become quite comfortable with inadvertent shoplifting. In the builders merchant at the weekend the guy couldn't count, so we ended up with slightly more than we needed of some electrical stuff. I can find a use for it, he clearly decided to charge me too little or his boss should have a better recruitment policy that includes being able to count.

I felt bad for a few days when I accidentally ended up with (discovered when I got home) an expensive replacement battery for a power tool I didn't own. The builders soon found a use for that, somebody has always got something to fit.

Of course none of this compares to a friend several years ago who received a delivery of what was supposed to be a small bag of screws, and was a 3ft x 2ft box. Naturally he accepted the delivery, only to find a brand new pillar drill. Nothing ever happened about it, the question I had was what happened to the customer expecting the pillar drill, and how angry would you be with the pathetic bag of screws!
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I've just Googled myself and discovered I was one of the last people to be hanged for sodomy

My wife always said she wished I'd been bloody well hung.
snow report
@rjb1, @Mistress Panda, Just wondering if it really didn't cross your mind to give the shop/supplier a call and mention it? Nine times out of ten they just say 'keep it, but thanks for letting us know', and the rest of the time they say 'Thanks for letting us know, do you mind if we pick it up'. All you lose is something you didn't own in the first place and you gain a nice warm self-righteous glow whatever happens. Very Happy
ski holidays
hanging on to something sent to you, which you know isn't yours is theft. wink
snow report
theft is "taking with the intention to permanently deprive"
(wrong) stuff arriving is unsolicited goods, and 100% the responsibility of the sender to recover

pretty normal to get "bonus" amounts in electrical etc. suppliers. don't want to be short changed. surplus is goodwill.

ainal
snow conditions
Sure, but it is your responsibility to inform the supplier and give them the opportunity to recover the goods.

If you suddenly find £25K in your bank account, which previously never had more than a couple of thousand on pay day, hanging onto it when you know it's not yours is theft.

If you pay for a box of screws and get some extra screws, that's trivial. But an expensive drill you didn't order or pay for?
snow report
@pam w, the drill wasn't me. But if someone comes along and presents me with a big box and a thank you note, I assume that's a Christmas present come early or a free sample that they gave me with no suggestion that money was due Very Happy The drill wasn't that expensive, but it was a surprise because of the sheer size of the thing compared to what was expected!

I am sure, technically, that they could try and pursue it as theft. But if someone hands you £25K in cash you don't have a responsibility to report yourself for it. Of course, if the police came along and told you that £25K had gone missing and could they have it back, you probably do need to give it back.

For clarity, Mr P. Because Mrs P has to behave and is far too honest for her own good.
latest report
My dad did take this to an extreme with some paving slabs which he described as "just left by the side of the road" by loading up his car with them and doing his garden with them. I pointed out that the council probably had those stacked up ready to fix the pavement. He then used the entertaining defence of "what are they going to do, lock up a 70 year old?" - and then got surprised when I told him that stealing probably would lead to exactly that!
ski holidays
Section 1 Theft act 1968
A person is guilty of theft if he/she dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another, with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it.

appropriates means taking possession in a dishonest manner

Some of the above examples are clearly theft, you must take in the eyes of the law "Reasonable steps " to find an owner
For example, you find a £5 note on a footpath, reasonable steps MAY be putting a note on a gatepost nearby stating if you have lost any money e-mail/phone me with the amount and I will return, if after a reasonable period no one claims it is legally yours.
It is for a court to decide what steps you took were reasonable in the circumstances.
It would be no different if you found £250000 in used notes abandoned in a carrier bag ( as happened a few years back in London ) an honest person handed it in to the police. If no one claims it in 28 days it is legally yours. UNLESS it can be proved the money was stolen as you cannot claim title to stolen goods, even if you come by them innocently.
So if you buy a car from a dodgy dealer that say has been "rung" ( id changed ) it will never be yours and the origional owner could claim it off you as could an insurance company if they have paid out on it.
There is also a separate offence of theft of mail, but I wont bore you with that one.
snow report
Oh and you can actually be done for theft of space. An example is your neighbour pays for a builders skip and without permission you fill it up with your junk.

If you pick wild fruit and make it into Jam for yourself its no offence
However if you then sell it it can become theft

The law of theft as you can see becomes very complicated
ski holidays
Yes I am a wow in the kitchen at parties Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
If someone hands you £25K thinking you are Bill Bloggs, to whom he owes £25K but you are actually another Bill Bloggs and know perfickly well that he doesn't owe you a penny, it's theft if you just pocket it and keep schtum.
snow report
@pam w,

See dishonestly appropriates as above S1 Theft act 1968
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mistress Panda,
Quote:

But if someone hands you £25K in cash you don't have a responsibility to report yourself for it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you do.

Whether you came by the property innocently or not is irrelevant. I believe you ahve to make reasonable efforts to return it. Not handing it in the the police is probably classed as not making reasonable efforts. Equally, if there is a bank error in your favour and you fail to return it, then that is also theft.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

My wife always said she wished I'd been bloody well hung.

Not a blessing to a skier. I've wacked my knee too many times.
snow report
must be a real hazard on drag lifts, @cameronphillips2000,
ski holidays
There's a reason they call them drag lifts.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
There's a reason they call them drag lifts.

Does that explain "button lifts" - were they designed for the female anatomy ....
snow conditions
Quite famously, the first Whitedot prototypes were delivered to the wrong address when they arrived in the UK.
The recipient thought he'd chance his arm and offered them for sale to a ski shop... who had been reading, on snowHeads, about their development so contacted Dot. to ask whether he should be getting offered these yet.
Hence Dot. and the police were waiting to reclaim them when the deal went down Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@admin, That was an interesting day. Phone call to UPS "where is my shipment of 7 pairs of skis?", UPS, "they've already been signed for mate". Within an hour they had appeared on Gumtree and then had a call from a local ski shop saying they had been offered them and would I stand by warranties. After telling the shop they had been stolen the shop very kindly agreed to say yes to the thief and arrange a time for the thief to bring the skis into the shop. Myself and a number un-uniformed cops waiting.
Turns out UPS delivered to the wrong address 5 doors down. The bloke who took delivery was a mental health nurse with a young family thought it was a great opportunity to pay for a holiday. He ended up getting arrested for theft and the Police made the guy come to me and apologize. I believe he just got a formal caution.
I thing where he learnt his lesson was from the many calls he got from snowheads after he put his number on the gumtree add. Snowheads telling him in the nicest possible what what they thought of him. The Police asked me to call off the dogs Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Well, fancy that! A real life illustration of the principle at stake - if you know that something delivered to you is not really yours, keeping it is theft.

I once had a case of very nice wine (Sancerre) delivered. No message, no nothing. I rang the shop on the label and said I thought they must have been delivered by mistake. No, they said, the name and address checks out.

Turns out it had been sent by a friend of my brother in law. He had been very keen to try sailing and I was tasked to charter a yacht (he was paying and brought a delicious picnic lunch, enjoyed up the Beaulieu River (where he also paid the charge for anchoring).

He had such a lovely day - he basically helmed the boat all day, the sun shone, we didn't hit anything - that the case of wine (the same as he'd provided for the picnic lunch) was a thank you present. Little Angel
snow report
Mistress Panda wrote:
I've now become quite comfortable with inadvertent shoplifting. In the builders merchant at the weekend the guy couldn't count, so we ended up with slightly more than we needed of some electrical stuff. I can find a use for it, he clearly decided to charge me too little or his boss should have a better recruitment policy that includes being able to count.

I felt bad for a few days when I accidentally ended up with (discovered when I got home) an expensive replacement battery for a power tool I didn't own. The builders soon found a use for that, somebody has always got something to fit.

Of course none of this compares to a friend several years ago who received a delivery of what was supposed to be a small bag of screws, and was a 3ft x 2ft box. Naturally he accepted the delivery, only to find a brand new pillar drill. Nothing ever happened about it, the question I had was what happened to the customer expecting the pillar drill, and how angry would you be with the pathetic bag of screws!

Bet he felt he got really screwed! Embarassed
snow report
My first post on Snowheads...
I was in Ellis Brigham yesterday evening, and can report (reassure) that the brochures are free!
Despite having £3.99 written on them.
The staff could not explain this quirk.
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads @Hozza, snowHead
latest report
Hozza wrote:
My first post on Snowheads...
I was in Ellis Brigham yesterday evening, and can report (reassure) that the brochures are free!
Despite having £3.99 written on them.
The staff could not explain this quirk.

So they can write off the print costs and recover the vat.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy