Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on Obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
My search continues for a late(ish) season break with the wife.

We're looking at a specific weekend (11/4) as we're down the country attending a wedding so makes sense to try and fit in a Sat-Sat trip. So far finding it quite surprising that a lot of trips are Sunday to Sunday-no good as we'd have to extend our stay after the wedding from 1 to 2 nights so a bit of a waste of time IMO.

Of the usual suspects the only place I've not skied is Obergurgl and it seems to tick all the boxes so wanted to get some opinions from those who've been and know the resort. The only draw back is there is apparently a lack of challenging stuff? I'm quite happy to cruise on the piste then maybe one day if it warrants it get a guide.

Currently still considering Lech, St Anton, and maybe Ischgl but the quietness and laid back supposed nature of Obergurgl appeals. A couple of the high French resorts are also still in the running but flights seem to be limiting to EK and Val Thorens places I like and have skied.

Most accommodation seems to be hotels-any opinions?

The Mrs wants a chilled out holiday, relaxed skiing and time soaking up the sun on terraces etc.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spent a week there over NYE - thought it was fantastic, especially given the time of year, as there were basically no lift queues - although with the caveat that there is only one small area with trees etc which is sheltered, and this got quite crowded and not all that much fun when the weather was poor. But this was NY week so probably not as much a consideration in April.

Ski area is mostly cruisy with a few unpisted ski routes (didn't attempt). Hochgurgl side probably has the better skiing. There are buses down to Solden, and you get a day out there if you pay an extra 10eur when you buy the lift pass.

The town is quite sleepy and full of 'wellness' style 4 star hotels... We stayed at Hotel Olympia - small'ish ski-in ski-out'ish (bit of poling required on the way back unless you can carry your speed and there's no skier traffic and you have a tailwind) with awesome food and great views. Handled dietary requirements well (gluten-free, vegetarian, and gluten-free vegetarian!).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@driz, Thanks for your reply sounds like the area is tailor made for the Mrs. How long roughly did it take to travel over to Hochgurgl? There's a quoted 110KM of pistes which is plenty IMO, given the time of year there's not that many places that you'd still expect to have much more available than that.

Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obergurgl is a fairly, intermediate and cruisy. Nothing particularly challenging unless you are able to tour or try some off piste. As you get later in the season snow reliability becomes a factor, so Obergurgl with predominantly N&W facing works.
The piste area isn't massive, but is good for a week if you also give yourselves a day in Solden (go earlier in the week in case you want to go back later).

Really all re resorts you are considering probably work...Go to one you haven't skied before.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did Obergurgl last year at the end of March. Snow was pretty good, but spring conditions. Overall I really liked Obergurgl. Good atmosphere, great food, efficient etc. It's also the highest parish in Austria so is pretty snowsure. You could still happily ski back to the door of the hotel at a time when Solden was completely snowless (in the village).

Probably takes 45 mins to get over to Hochgurgl, (starting from Obergurgl village) but rather irritatingly the slow lift that you take doesn't gain any altitude as it takes you over. Skiing is def intermediate. There was nothing any of us felt remotely scared of. As it gets softer down low during the day you stay high and then the skiing can seem a touch limited.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 19-02-15 10:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bene, about 12 mins to Hochgurgl on the Top Express lift.

There's loads of really good lift accessed off piste in Hochgurgl and if you get fresh snow it takes ages to get tracked out.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I advertised on here for some ski buddies to ski on exactly the same dates a couple of years ago. They recommended this:

http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-resorts/austria/arlberg-ski-area/st-christoph/chalet-hotel-st-christoph

We got a great deal late on. It turns out that many folk return there at the same date every year. There was almost a vary large family atmosphere. Very very friendly. The skiing was OK for that time of year. There's always a group that gets the morning bus to Lech but most ski ST Anton or do the sun terrace above Rendel. St Anton is quite that time of year. Food in the hotel was exceptional.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, This actually popped up in my search but as a package flights were from Gatwick so no good. Next step would be to look at DIY as there are flights to Innsbruck from Manchester on our dates.

To the rest thanks for the replies. I was itching to return to EK or St Anton but I know the Mrs will much prefer something more low key. I have a habbit when I go with her of doing my usual first lift and one of the last on the hill with minimum stops so want to try and re-sell the idea of a ski holiday to her which in turn will hopefully lead to more trips Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are lots of middle aged couples go on that week and lots of the less keen to ski (often wives) group together on the slopes whilst the keener folks put in the miles. Being at St Christophe too, it's very quite up there. There is a beautiful small 5 star hotel over the road which oozes history and style which makes a great place for an evening drink.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One last comment on Obergurgl, there's isn't a great deal in it cost wise beofre you leap up into the one or two really expensive couple of places. Currently looking at the Hotel Bergwelt seems to get very good reviews.

Can anyone offer comparrison one hotel to the next? Location wise I'm assuming there also isn't much in it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Bene, We did the Hotel Crystal via (coincidentally) Crystal Ski. We thought it was great. Excellent food, large and comfortable rooms, fab access to ski room and lifts etc. Locations are probably all good. We thought that being at the bottom of the Festkoglbahn lift was a particularly good location.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was there in January, thoroughly enjoyed it and will go back. Yes, as you've read its not huge and it was no challenge to ski it all in a week but nice snow and well maintained pistes, Almost empty in mid January - one morning I was skiing untouched corduroy on a red at 11am! Apres is good especial the Nederhutte which is legendary.

As far as hotels are concerned I stayed in the Hotel Crystal. The rooms are nice if you don't choose the suites in the older part - as I did. The food is average to good, beautifully presented but often rather bland and tasteless. The major letdown was the staff who are obviously not a happy bunch. Our table waiter was like Basil Fawlty, obviously we (and the surrounding tables agreed) were only a considerable inconvenience to him. The bar is mainly empty and that is because of the incredibly rude head barman, Borislav the bawbag (as he soon became known in our party) Yes the facilities and location are very good, decor wise they have tried a look of minimalist fused with classic Austrian and art gallery but it just didn't work for me, felt rather functional and spartan. Overall its ok, but I wouldn't go back - it's not worth the money they charge and my feedback to Crystal Holidays was essentially that it shouldn't be on their 'Crystal Finest' list.

We looked in at a few of the hotels for a nosey and a drink. Bergwelt looks and felt really nice but small-ish and whilst is ski to door it involves a steepish walk down to the main town. The Hochfirst really is 5 star, very smart with a price to match although if thats not a barrier then I wouldn't hesitate. Of the other bigger hotels we liked the Edelweiss & Gurgl best, very slightly dated looking but atmosphere was nice as were staff and location is unbeatable. One also to consider is the Hotel Madeleine, right in the middle of the village but with a nice restaurant that we ate in one night and wonderful welcoming staff, it also gets No1 on Trip Advisor.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PS both the Bergwelt and Hochfirst are ski in\out, there is a little bit of flat/slight uphill from the Hohe Mut end of the resort but as long as you're good enough to carry full speed down the bit before you'll get past it without poling. I only mistimed it the first time although had to tuck on the sunnier days.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be honest with you, I would leave it very very late to book. Not only will you get the best deals, and there will be lots around at that time of year, you will be able to choose somewhere that still has lots of snow and looks pretty cool in terms of temperatures for the week. When I skied Lech at this time of year the snow was still very deep but after 11am it was so heavy and wet it became pretty much unskiable. It was far worse than anything I'd experienced at that time of year before -apparently lots of man made snow goes like this.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@robboj, Thanks for taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply-The bawbag comment made me chuckle as my Mrs is a Scot and must admit she's called me that on more than one occasion!

At the least expensive end is a place called the Alpenland-of the ones I've priced up packages with.

@foxtrotzulu, Seems you an @robboj, had very different opinions of the Crystal!
snow report
Obergurgl has much to commend it with reliable snow and quiet pistes near the top of the list. But the lack of trees and idiosyncratic piste marking make it a bit of a trial in poor weather. If it's snowing heavily, head for Solden. If not, enjoy the cruise! Very Happy
snow report
We went to Obergurgl beginning of January, yes a lot of the slopes are cruisy but there lots of fun bits to be found as well. Stayed in the Madeleine - great food, great facilities, lovely staff, about 1 minute from bus stop and lifts, couldn't fault it.
ski holidays
@LOTA, Yes I would agree that the piste marking isn't the best. We were fortunate with only one bad vis day and stayed in the trees under the Hohe Mut.

@Bene, You're welcome and that barman was the very definition of the word! Didn't look in the Alpenland, its in the upper bit with the Bergwelt and others but very ski in/out as right on the piste and probably before the flat bit too. If you go to the Obergurgl Hochgurgl website and then Holiday Planning - Holiday resort- Interactive map its very useful for getting the lie of the land.

As for the Hotel Crystal @foxtrotzulu and I discussed it last autumn back when I was asking basically what you are now. The basic problem with it is IMHO unhappy staff, one individual in the management could be causing that which would affect a lot of things and also could have changed the whole way of the place in a matter of weeks and thus a perspective from last season to this being so different. Still other things though such as a surprising number of staff with no English language, of course we've no right to expect that but in a hotel where a substantial percentage of guests are from the UK it was unusual. One in particular was the night porter - bizarre IMO!
ski holidays
One other little benefit of Obergurgl - never heard a Russian all week, not one. From what I hear that is not untypical just about everywhere in Austria this season
snow conditions
@robboj, Sorry if I gave you a bum steer. We found the staff at the Crystal to be great last year. Of course, almost the only member of staff one has any significant dealings with is the person who serves your table. We were a group of 10 so always sat on the same table. We had a very saucy dark haired little minx who was great. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@foxtrotzulu, no worries at all, maybe even just a lottery of particular staff but there is definitely some kind of management issue going on this year?
latest report
Heading there tomorrow for a week. Staying at Hotel Alpenaussicht. Will let you know how it goes. Forecast for next week is rubbish though ' Confused
latest report
@Juddernaut, looks mixed on Bergfex . Three windy days which admittedly is not good news there but three cold sunny days too and a decent amount of fresh snow?
latest report
I assume if the wind gets up we head to solden
ski holidays
Looks like unless we take a package flights from Manchester to Innsbruck aren't doable DIY.

However we could fly into Munich do it all DIY and save a whopping £700. Could even fly into Munich a day earlier and enjoy some city sight seeing before heading off.
snow report
Would easily go back there late or early season with wife, as she loves the hotel Jenwin at the bottom of the piste, nice spa on 4 floor so you can watch people skiing back down, bar next to piste and a nice bar in the cellar .. Smile
ski holidays
Hotel Gotthard Zeit is a great all round choice vs location, food and facilities. I would not bank on getting a late room. It is a great late season resort, but accordingly the hotels will be quite full.
latest report
@Juddernaut, I didn't actually ski Solden but I don't think the skiing there is any lower?

@Bene, I love Munich, great city, so well worth it for £700 although how are you planning to travel to OberG as that could take a chunk out of it?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@robboj, village is a bit lower. Top of Solden might even be higher than O. Solden looks to have more trees etc on the lower pistes so we are assuming it has more shelter. Could be wrong though.
snow report
Took the whole family - children and grand children mid April last year and it was perfect - excellent snow, something for everyone, stayed at Edelweiss & Gurgle and could ski to the boot room.
Got an excellent package by booking direct with hotel including lift passes. Flights to Innsbruck with Easyjet and onward transfer with local taxi firm - all in all cheaper than going with TO.
snow report
Forecast is now for a week of white out. Jesus wept
ski holidays
Not that much tree skiing at Solden, to be honest, although more than Obergurgl.
snow conditions
@skilegs, Thanks, issue I'm having is there are no flights back to Manchester-at the moment Munich with Signapore of all airlines is looking the best deal. There's also flighst to and from Zurich but it's a bit further out.

I've got quotes of around £300 for a transfer from Munich so I'm probably just going to rent a car as even with parking it will be half that.

Anyone got any names of transfer companies from Munich? At that time of year it could of course still dump so I usually like to leave the driving to someone else!
snow conditions
Kicking myself that I blinked and didn't book Madonna DC. However in early Jan things were looking dire. MDC looks perfect now. Goddammit
snow conditions
@Juddernaut, I always just take the forecasts with a pinch of salt. My recent trip to Gressoney it dumped and dumped yet the forecast wasn't showing much (even when it was happening!) so my conclusion was that unless you're either there yourself or are in touch with someone on the ground that is it's all very unpredictable!

It's difficult when booking ahead to know what to do for the best, so you mitigate against the risk. It seems in this case you’ve gone high to ensure better conditions after a dicey start to the season. By all accounts it’s been very warm in a lot of places this week so if snow doesn’t come I bet some places will be getting bare.

I always just take it as I comes and a bad day in the mountains is better than any day at work!
snow report
I've stayed twice in the Hotel Jenewien and if I was going back to Obergurgl I'd stay there again. Good food, good service and decent rooms. Proper ski in/out location! Last time we could look out at the gondola entrance from our room and get to it just as soon as it opened.

For transfers I'd recommend Four Seasons taxis - search Tirol taxi and you'll find them. We used their economy service last Christmas to go from Munich to Serfaus. That's a shared minibus service, but when we used it there was only one other group of three and we were in the minibus and moving within 10 minutes of arriving at their desk. Enjoyable drive and delivered straight to our hotel front door.

If you're flying from Manchester check out Singapore Airlines - great early morning flight with 30kg baggage allowance and very good value.
snow conditions
@Valkyrie, Thanks for the info, the Jenewien does look nice there's a lot of really nice hotels so found it hard to choose-we're almost settled on the Bergwelt although they seem to charge for parking while others don't so will have to factor that in.

Will check out the transfer recommendation. Seems a bit daft to have a car sit there for a week but would be handy for a Solden trip.

It was Singapore airlines the flights I was looking at, refreshing when you fly with proper airlines to get a good luggage allowance!
snow conditions
@Bene, From my recon of the Bergwelt all the parking would appear to be underground the hotel so maybe that's why they are charging?
latest report
@robboj, Probably-is there any alternative/public parking you recall? It's only 70 Euro which in the grand scheme of the holiday isn't that much.

Flights and hotel booked!

Still TBC getting from Munich and back-will probably go for a car. Flying with Lufthansa, good flight times etc won out over Singapore who were early morning out and back.
latest report
You can get a bus from Obergurgl to Solden. Less than half hour journey.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy