Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

austria weekend

Poster: A snowHead
looking to have a long weekend in austria flying to and hiring a car from munich, any recommendations
for a reasonably snow sure and lively resort arriving 19th march
thanks in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mayrhofen?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@aldy, The world's yer oyster really.... Ischgl? St Anton?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It has to be Kitzbuehel!
Its not only a great place to ski, but the apres ski is probably the best ... in the world!
I must admit I haven't been for almost 20 years ... but I'm going somewhere quite & Easy .. Niederau this weekend.

The weather doesn't look sunny which is shame.
If the weather is bad on top have a long lunch at the "Sonnenbuehl" .. good fun restaurant.
If the sun does come out .. you can sit on the small beach out the back.

Why haven't I been for so long ???????
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry I thought you were going this weekend.!
The sun will surely shine by the 19th .. Just check snow conditions closer the date.
But you dont need so much cover in Kitz as the higher resorts.

Stanton would be 2nd choice then Ischgl.

Mayhofen ... nah
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@aldy, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
There's several Austrian areas readily accessible from Munich, but my recommendation would be for the Zillertal. Easy to get to (cross the Austrian border at Kufstein and continue on the motorway in the direction of Innsbruck until you reach Jenbach where you turn off for the Zillertal. Although Mayrhofen is the best known resort in the Zillertal valley if you're only going for a long weekend you could stay somewhere near Kaltenbach which isn't as far up the valley as Mayrhofen but has some excellent skiing at the combined Hochzillertal (Kaltenbach/Hochfugen) area. I've stayed at the Hotel Alpina in the nearby village of Ried which I can highly recommend, but the local tourist office website should be able to offer many alternatives.

P.S Some Munich airport car hire companies charge a small additional fee if you intend taking the car outside Germany, best to identify this at the rental desk. Don't forget to buy a motorway vignette for Austria (you can buy a 10 day one at motorway service stations in Germany before you cross the border, or if you prefer to get one sorted beforehand you can buy one for postal delivery to your home from here
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
It has to be Kitzbuehel!
Its not only a great place to ski, but the apres ski is probably the best ... in the world!
I must admit I haven't been for almost 20 years ... but I'm going somewhere quite & Easy .. Niederau this weekend.

The weather doesn't look sunny which is shame.
If the weather is bad on top have a long lunch at the "Sonnenbuehl" .. good fun restaurant.
If the sun does come out .. you can sit on the small beach out the back.

Why haven't I been for so long ???????

Interesting. Kitz is quite far down my list of Austrian resorts... And I certainly rate Ischgl and St Anton well above it for both apres and skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hi thanks for the replys, have been to ishgl and st anton a few time was thinking somewhere a bit closer any advise on sell am see kaprun
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @clarky999 I agree that Ischgl is a great place to ski
its just my opinion, that I think Kitz is such good fun, the skiing is very varied ....
plus its a bit closer to Munchen.
If @aldy, was flying into Friedrichshaven .. different story ...
I've never been up the Montafon.

I used to go to Stanton a lot but I find it just a bit too "Gortexy" now
Arent I fussy?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soll is only a short cheap train trip away!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes Soll must be the closest, and most convenient ... I've never ski'd it.
But I had the urge to this year ,,, but all booked out next week Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sell am see kaprun
Nah!
Kaprun is just a boring glacier and a long way from Munchen
Best thing there is the kiosk bar in the town, that like a tardis.

In that area perhaps Salbach/Hinterglem would be better.
Thinking about it, there is just too much to do in Kitz for a weekend.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Did a long weekend to Mayrhofen. Fly to Munich hire car. 2 and a bit hours later were in Mayrhofen (don't forget to pick up an austrian motorway sticker before you get on the motorway). Be careful on the return journey coz it can take way longer than you think due to traffic.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, Me too, not really sure why, relatively low, limited apre, a fair few drunk locals on the slopes at the Weekend and not my favourite skiing for some reason. Still popular with a lot of People though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TTT wrote:
@clarky999, Me too, not really sure why, relatively low, limited apre, a fair few drunk locals on the slopes at the Weekend and not my favourite skiing for some reason. Still popular with a lot of People though.
. The romance of the Hannenkahm (sp?) I guess. All those winter weekends watching Ski Sunday as the likes of Killy, Maier, Miller etc... fly down the Streif. It's on my list of resorts to tick off at some point before I hang up my ski boots Toofy Grin
snow conditions
a bit depends on your flight times but saalbach would be my choice lower slopes may be a bit iffy but the all round resort wins hands down
ski holidays
St Anton is very poor at the moment, not snowed in over 2 weeks! pistes are patchy and icey and no fresh snow to be found off piste, maybe some snowfall quickly will change all this
snow report
Zell am See has had some great conditions this year!
latest report
The Hahnenkamm is certainly part of it's appeal although nighmare busy then but think its popularity is mainly that it is the nearest major mountain resort to Munich given Skiwelt is mainly hills. Certainly worth doing during high season just not on my personal favourite list. I'd certainly go again for a short trip. Glad I've done longer trips there but probably would not do again.
latest report
not going until march 19 bit concerned how conditions will be by then suppose i should wait a week or two see how the forecast is before booking hotel,
sometimes the lower austrian resorts suffer late season
snow conditions
@aldy, Just book the flight - there will be hundreds of hotel rooms available for March 19th, so you can almost wait until the week you go to book, then just book where there is snow. Either use the Tourist Office websites/booking services, or book direct with the hotels.

Suggested resorts all within an easy drive and all with better infrastructure and après than Kitzbuhel: Zillertal (as above, Mayrhofen/Kaltenbach/Hochfugen etc), Saalbach/Hinterglemm/Leogang Ski Circus, Ischgl, St Anton. Apres in Kitzbuhel may well have been good 20 years ago, but as @clarky999, says, it is way down the list of Austrian resorts these days, having relied a bit too much on reputation and too little on investment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy