Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So bad Christmas/New Years in France? Can things recover?

Poster: A snowHead
Here are historical snow bases (according to Ski Club of Great Britain) and current year's totals:

Tignes - current 37 lower/ 60 upper, historical 69/146

Meribel - current 32/45 historical 35/102

Val Thorens - current 50/55 historical 62/138

Serre Chevaler - current 35/60 historical 46/132

I was going to ski in France in late January - especially off piste. However, no one has even a meter of snow. Should I cancel my trip?

Is this a bad snow year? Can things recover? I just do not want to waste a ski trip when all the US areas in California, Utah, Colorado -- all have bases between 100-200cm.

What to do?

Looks like St. Anton is doing well. Should I go there?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisc, This is problematical for you because of the distances involved I can see. Of course things can recover - certainly last year we had less snow than this at this time of year (we were limited to the glacier and the very top of the mountain), however one cannot count on it. Where are you flying to? I suggest that if possible you keep your resort options open (at the end of Jan you'll be able to find accommodation without too much trouble almost anywhere), and wait until much nearer the time to decide where. Remember, even if you fly to Paris, St Anton is only about 8-10 hours away by road!

Switzerland also seems to be doing well. Definitely do not cancel the trip - just try to be flexible on where to ski once you're here! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I had promised myself the trip I would come. Brits don't normally cancel trips, they book, they go.
How you fly in depends on where you can go, realistically. On snow falls now I would look at Zurich as the gateway as you can do Western Switzerland and Eastern Austria. Of course, you can travel by train or car further afield.

Do you have a list of resorts you might visit? Bearing in mind that most good size resorts in the alpes are much bigger than what you may be used to in North America.

As for levels, it is best to trust people on the ground and this website will have in resort reports from all manner of places. Far more reliable than certain weather reports...IMV
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chrisc,

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, i headed out to the alpes last year with all doom and gloom, I got to the resort and it dumped for the whole week. Things can change very quickly in the mountains here just as they can anywhere else
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am flying to Geneva.

I thought Feb 1 was an OK time to visit. I am very concerned.

I did rocks in Europe a few years ago.

I would rather not go again at these bases.

I am looking into trains to St Anton -- 5 hrs with one stop in Zurich.

And just sacrifice 100e each at both Val dIsere and Meribel.

And do St Anton - - 1 week /Davos - 4 days /St Moritz - 2days.

I hate bad skiing.

With short vacations, time is HUGE in the US and bad conditions are unacceptable. Looking into skiing Austria now -- with a spin through Davos and St Moritz.

Where can I avoid rocks?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:

Switzerland also seems to be doing well. Definitely do not cancel the trip - just try to be flexible on where to ski once you're here! Madeye-Smiley

It's snowing here now. But, I'd be a little cautious about some reports from Switzerland, they're a little partial without putting too fine a point on it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise,
Quote:

But, I'd be a little cautious about some reports from Switzerland, they're a little partial without putting too fine a point on it.

Is this your way of saying that you feel they are being economical in their reports with a positive bias?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny, I think anyone planning a trip is going to want to get some reports from several sources before making a decision.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We're going to Courchevel for the 5th time in a row on 29 Jan and I'm not worried. We always go at the end of Jan and every year to date the snow has dumped BIG time in about the 2nd/3rd week of Jan
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chrisc wrote:
Here are historical snow bases (according to Ski Club of Great Britain) and current year's totals:
Tignes - current 37 lower/ 60 upper, historical 69/146
Meribel - current 32/45 historical 35/102
Val Thorens - current 50/55 historical 62/138
Serre Chevaler - current 35/60 historical 46/132

Now what was it some Snowheads were saying about how you can't go wrong with a high altitude resort early season?

Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can things recover. Within 24 hrs those figures could be transformed. Forecasts looking decent for next 7 days. I remember last year the busy christmas week was saved at the very last minute by a heavy fall. Come and enjoy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
chris,

I was in Morzine last weekend, their base is over a metre, plenty of snow around, check my pics http://gregh.co.uk/albums/morzine06/

They are 80km from Geneva.

Regards,

Greg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh,

Great pics from Utah...!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm glad it was't Utah JT, was only there for a 3 day break, would have spend 2 of those 3 days travelling if it was Utah Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh,

Envious conditions..!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Quote:

Now what was it some Snowheads were saying about how you can't go wrong with a high altitude resort early season?

Most Snowheads I read said "if you want to go early, wait and book at the last minute". Exactly right. Many resorts have had super snow over Christmas. Altitude is fairly meaningless if the problem is lack of precipitation. Anybody without schoolkids to worry about can book a holiday at the last minute and be pretty certain of finding some snow. Booking well ahead, without kids, is a very strange thing to do IMO.
ski holidays
Some low resorts have pretty good snowmaking which can lead to far better conditions than the better known higher aresa of some resorts wink Very Happy snowHead
snow report
chrisc, Geneva is really the perfect base for most european resorts. You can get to anywhere quite comfortably from there. Just keep your air tickets and wait to see where the snow arrives. We're expecting some tonight and tomorrow and maybe a bit into Thurs - that would be Les Oisans which is south of Geneva - great off piste areas in all resorts and La Grave as well. Further north you could, for instance use Bourg St Maurice as a base and ski all over that area: Val D, Tignes, Les ARcs, la Plagne, and also easy to get to 3 V from there. If the snow looks better further east with a week to go then think about Switzerland and Austria. Don't plan where yet. BTW you're not allowing much time per resort - remember most big european resorts have nursery slopes as big as some of the US ones!!!!

At the last minute you'll be able to find accommodation most places, and you shouldn't have a problem with trains or car hire. Really - don't despair - these blank patches are quite common, just wait until about a week to go and then decide. Watch these reports rather than the major internet ones. Have fun.
ski holidays
From what I've read on here, the PDS is doing well for snow (esp. Avoriaz) and it's on Geneva's doorstep. My source for weather has had pneumonia for the past few months Sad so can't say anything more specific than that...he's got 4 weeks to get better Very Happy
snow report
it is way too early to panic! so far this season the northern resorts have had the better snow - hence the comparatively low figures for the resorts that you mention.

for instance, I am off to Chatel later today - a very low resort and one where I am used to panicing about grassy pistes before my regular New Year visits. I am absolutely gagging to get out there as they have plenty of snow at the moment and small top-ups over the next few days - you can check out the webcams at www.chatel.com to give you some peace of mind.

all it needs is for a couple of weather systems to hit the middle and southern resorts over the next 2-3 weeks and they will be sorted as well. there is every reason to believe that will happen.

as mentioned above, if you can do so it may be best to keep your choice of resort flexible, if only to help you relax about the upcoming trip!
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Looks like a big dump coming this weekend and a reasonably snowy outlook for the first week of 2006 snowHead
latest report
The snow in Alpe D'Huez is a bit hard packed but there is plenty of it and its very skiable. Its been snowing today and the forecast like brian says is really good for the coming week - more light snow over the next couple of days and then heavy snow over the weekend! It was only a few weeks ago that we were all saying how brilliant the early snow was so think it is far too early to write it off as a bad year. Sure there is still much more to come...... snowHead
latest report
3V is pretty shitty at the moment (or it was yesterday), but a few decent dumps will sort it out. Don't worry, chrisc.
snow report
lets cross our fingers, coming from the states, this will be our first trip to europe. (3V) already booked the chalet, 2 car hires, plane tickets, so no backing out for me. Will be there mid Feb and hoping it starts snowing soon...
latest report
koondog, I wouldn't even think of panicking yet. Mid-Feb is bang in the middle of the season, and there'll be huge amounts of skiing in the 3V then, even if the season proves to be poor (and it's way too early to tell). snowHead
ski holidays
koondog,

You'll have an excellent time in the 3V, Its soooooo big...
snow report
thanks for the re-assurance... sooo psyched, can't wait lol
latest report
koondog, as laundryman has said, it's far too early to start worrying about February. Be confident of a great time - the 3Vs are enormous and I'd be very surprised if there wasn't really good skiing to be had by then.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
there seems to be loads of snow forecast for many areas over the weekend - so conditions should be great next week. But possibly a difficult time on the road for people leaving or arriving on Saturday. I am driving down from Calais arriving in the Alps Sunday evening and am about to go and re-remember how to put on snow chains. Next week, with everybody gone and fresh snow, should be fantastic.
snow report
winter park has experienced record snowfall totals for the month of january. come ski where you don't have to worry about the most important element of a holiday........snow!
snow conditions
Rusty Guy, Accept what you say totally, and I have skied 4 weeks in the US in past years. I would no longer consider the US as a ski destination because of immigration procedures. When I go on holiday, I like to feel welcomed and happy, not stressed.
ski holidays
snowbunny, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sadly have to agree...
snow report
chrisc, koondog, the advice to "book late and follow the snow" is impractical for many people, so dodgy snow is the price you sometimes have to pay for skiing in Europe, I'm afraid. There's no way of telling for certain how things are going to be in 4-6 weeks. No point worrying about it yet, but it'll probably be ok. You maximise your chances by going high but people who tend to think in terms of "can't go wrong" would be best advised to be more cautious of their convictions.
ski holidays
Quote:

the advice to "book late and follow the snow" is impractical for many people, so dodgy snow is the price you sometimes have to pay for skiing in Europe, I'm afraid.

this is a high price to pay unless you have no choice, when you are travelling so far. I don't see why booking late should be so impractical, outside peak holiday periods (which are best avoided anyway). In my experience most people who book very early do so simply because they are psychologically reluctant to live without that feeling of certainty, not because late booking is impractical. But then they have to accept that certainty about where they are going for is not compatible with certainty about the snow.
latest report
booking late wasn't an option for us, considering all of the factors involved. esp coming from the US. limited flights, chalets and car hires. and we have folks flying in from different locations, so the organizing this trip needed to be done early. If it was possible, we definitly would love to follow the snow. Even if the snow isn't the best, we will all have a blast.

after we get back to the states, we will be 'following the snow' when we make our annual trip out west...
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

In my experience most people who book very early...

So what's your experience, what kind of people, if you don't mind my asking? Little Angel

koondog, I can see that you're one of the people booking late wouldn't be an option for! wink
snow report
Well, big groups (20+) have to book early otherwise they'd end up scattered in different hotels/chalets/appartments all over the resort. Feb half termers have to book early if they want anywhere decent with childcare. No doubt there are others, too!
ski holidays
Yes, but chrisc, doesn'yt appear to fall in any of those categories. He's coming low season (or not high anyway), he's got his plane ticket, and before all the holidays I don't see that accommodation will be a problem. He hasn't said he's coming with a large group. koondog, is in a completely different situation. However: mid Feb (busy, busy) in 3V should give them so much skiing they won't know what's hit them. It's highly unlikely to still be bad by then.. Shocked + I just had a lovely run down with 2 students at the end of the day - not rocks - fab snow - fair bit of grass in the middle, but hey - nowhere's perfect!! Laughing Laughing Laughing NehNeh
snow report
Quote:

So what's your experience, what kind of people, if you don't mind my asking?

I have worked with lots of people who book up their holidays (summer and winter) months and months in advance. Once a holiday is over, they are desperate to book the next one. They want to be able to show you the brochure picture of the actual hotel or chalet they are going to, and if possible tell you about the actual bedroom they are going to have. It's important to them, part of the anticipation, to be able to come back to the office, rub their hands together and say "I've booked". And the industry puts masses of pressure on people to book early because it's good for their cash flow and profits. Fine, if that's what people want from the holiday and if (in the case of skiers) this certainty is more important to them than the state of the snow. But the fact remains that for many people, booking a long way in advance is not a practical necessity but a psychological one. My experience is mostly French, I admit, but French resorts have a big excess supply of accommodation outside the peak times, because of the lemming like insistence of French holidaymakers to cram their holidays into a few weeks.
ski holidays
pam w, if you're now saying "many people" or most people you know", I couldn't disagree, in fact I'm fairly sure you're right Very Happy Just that most people I know need to book early because they do indeed go at busy times or simply have exacting requirements.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy