Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing New Year 2015/2016

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend the best places to be looking for packages for skiing the new year week 2015/2016??

Looking at booking early and for a decent price, resort and place doesn't bother me too much as long as there is a good variety of skiing and the location is pretty snow sure.

Thanks
Mike
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nowhere without a glacier is snowsure at New Year, really. It's very early in the season. And nowhere at all is a "decent price" at NY - all expensive and all very crowded - probably the busiest, most expensive and least snowsure week of the whole season! I fail to see the attraction, myself. wink
However, if that's the week you want, what you really really want, if there are just two of you, and given that you are relaxed about the details, you could well find a good last minute deal - and by that time, if snow was poor, you'd know where to go!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with @pam w. No advantage in booking early unless you have very specific demands: large party, particular hotel, etc.
New Year is busy, snow often dodgy, prices at maximum. Result: poor value for money.
We always come back to UK New Year week (and half term week also).

The standard solution you will get is "Head high", but high resorts are unpleasant places when the clouds move in. Then you need trees, and trees don't grow high up.

As @pam w suggests: wait and see.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thank you for your quick response I believe it is all a matter of opinion, as I have been at new year on numerous occasions before I have thoroughly enjoyed it compared with being at home, unfortunately though I have never booked it myself therefore the reason I have posted this topic is to get a variety of opinions rather than just the ones of those who have booked for me previously
by decent price I am looking anything up to £1200 or so all in.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
again thank you for your response, I was interested in seeing if there was any difference in booking early.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Been skiing for the last 5 New Years. This year was a bit stressful before due to late snow, but turned out okay. Every other year has been very good. Chamonix, St Anton, St Anton, Ischgl and Ischgl. Yes not cheap, but great use of precious holiday time. New Years day is consistently a great skiing day. Quiet slopes and great skiing. NYE party in the Alps is great, especially Ischgl. Paying to get into bars is not good, but hey ho. Would feel strange not skiing New Year now. Booking early does get some discount, but definitely not the cheapest skiing.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-02-15 15:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You'll be incredibly lucky to find an early booking discount on one of the most expensive weeks in the year. It's always snowed here in Chatel and the skiing has always been open. ultimately if you're budget is limited this will limit your choices, especially as those resorts that have access to a glacier will be booked up sharpish and only because people think that's the only place that will be open - I speak from experience, generally if you don't have a glacier consensus is that you won't have snow ... and that isn't true in the slightest
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, how would you recommend booking? have you found booking as a package or separately best? very similar to myself this year was my first in 6 not skiing as was rubbish.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
michaelhill410 wrote:
thank you for your quick response I believe it is all a matter of opinion, as I have been at new year on numerous occasions before I have thoroughly enjoyed it compared with being at home, unfortunately though I have never booked it myself therefore the reason I have posted this topic is to get a variety of opinions rather than just the ones of those who have booked for me previously
by decent price I am looking anything up to £1200 or so all in.

If by 'All in' you mean flights, transfers, accommodation, lift pass, ski hire etc... and of course Per person... is this correct?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yes that's correct ski hire may not have to be in question
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@michaelhill410, I am waiting for the airlines to release their new year flights and book asap as they only get more expensive for new year the closer you get. Then will DIY the accom and transfers etc...I find that this is defo the cheapest way of getting a good deal for New year week. We drove this past new year which made it very good value - as I forgot to book the flights early enough!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm... I'd be very surprised if you could get this for this price - even self catered accommodation is expensive plus flights at New Year are pricey. For example, our catered package is £925pp, no passes (242.50 euros), no ski hire (approx. 100 euros), no flights.. but we do include transfers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@michaelhill410, we went to Flaine for new year just gone. We had a ok time yes snow was pretty poor in places but for our first family ski holiday it was ok. With the children we didn't need to explore whole Grand Massif area which was lucky acmaybruns were not open. We are looking to again this New Year not to Flaine though we are tied to New Year because of school holidays. Looking at Italy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AthersT, so did you get caught in the "Snowmageddon"?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Thanks, how would you recommend booking? have you found booking as a package or separately best?

My own experience is that booking early for high season weeks DIY is cheaper by a fair bit than getting a package, but this is heavily caveated by the fact that it means early enough to get cheap flights and having a few people in your party to create economies of scale on transfers. (usually car hire)
I have been luck at NY for snow but have not been for quite awhile now as I go to the highlands for NY. Places where I have had good snow at this time include Galtur (skiing Ischgl). Flims, Avoriaz and Wengen.
snow report
Solden and Kaprun may be slightly cheaper options than those mention above. Solden is near the Rettenbach glacier, Kaprun near the Kitzsteinhorn glacier.
ski holidays
@Mountain Addiction, I rented an apartment 200m from the slopes in Zell am See for 350 euro for new year week. The snow was good and you've got the Kaprun Glacier just 20 mins on the ski bus away. It can be done pretty easily as long as you shop around and book early. An all-inclusive chalet package will certainly be alot more, but different resorts/countries will have lower/higher prices. Chatel vs Zell am See I would imagine there would be a large price difference.
snow report
@Jonpim, we set off for Austria on the Friday afternoon and though it did get tough going through south eastern belgium and southern Germany we made it there just fine - though I ran out of screen wash/it froze about an hour away from Zell and was pouring mineral water onto the windscreen whilst driving lol NehNeh
snow report
That's a bit tight for new year. Looking at Ski Olympic (a reliable, not expensive, catered chalet operator) their basic package price for next new year is about £1300 - so you can add quite a bit to that for passes, ski hire, lunches on the slopes, chalet staff night out, etc etc

At the cheaper end Crystal chalets are about £1100 a head, so still out of budget.
Even DIY would be expensive. A nice apartment, near the piste, in a second-tier resort would cost around £1000 at New Year (maybe less of the euro continues to slide). Flight costs are high at new year, but if you managed to book as soon as they appear, but you could probably do it all for just about £1200 each, feeding yourselves well. If flight prices have gone up a lot then driving would probably be cheaper.

I never suggested that without a glacier you wouldn't have snow. Rather that with a glacier, you would have snow. This year New Year conditions in many places (certainly in the northern French Alps) were infinitely better than Christmas but people still moaned a lot. The fact remains that skiing early in the season is a bigger risk for snow cover than, say, skiing in mid-March (when people are typically starting to panic about "end of season").
snow conditions
If you were looking at places other than France this was my first pass at a quote for 2 people in a chalet with crystal in Austria

It's defo do able if you shop around and possibly look at Austria/Italy - the bottom one would be very interesting for me - you have the Glacier, Zell am See and Kapruns Maiskogel all within 15 mins on the skibus - walking distance to the Maiskogel. Skibus is included in the area ski pass.

ski holidays
@AthersT, True, I didn't say it was impossible.... It depends on a lot of factors, some of which don't always work out
snow conditions
Just checked Interhome (not the cheapest ) and you can get an appartmetn in Bad Gastein area (probably just out of town) sleeping up to six in three rooms for £824.
Even if you slept four if your flights were reasonable and you could rent a car it would be a lot cheaper. Meant to be a pretty snow sure area with High skiing up at Sport Gastein and plenty on the ski amade lift pass if you have a car..
snow report
If you are up for doing this separately - this is the sort of thing you can find pretty readily - from booking.com

latest report
Skiing at New Year doesn't have to cost a fortune - I always go to a little gem of a place in Val Cenis for the New Year week. It's cheap and cheerful, very French, fantastic for kids and the skiing goes up to 2800m. Adult prices last year were from €470, reductions for kids, no supplements for single parents and that is for full board and including ski pass. Travel extra but lots of cheap options.

Anyone tempted to join us next year?
snow conditions
michaelhill410 wrote:
Thanks, how would you recommend booking? have you found booking as a package or separately best? very similar to myself this year was my first in 6 not skiing as was rubbish.

Booked with ski total for this year, with an early booking discount (small)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy