Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes March 14th 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'm booking my holiday to Tignes this year, neither of us have been to Tignes before and just wanted to get an idea of what its like? From what I have read it seems like a fairly challenging resort with some good runs? We are both pushing on advanced skiiers so thought a resort like Tignes may suit us. Previously we have skied Zell am See, Morzine, Gressany, Avoriaz, Les Arcs, Borovets(rubbish) and Kaprun. Please any suggestions about good runs and where to go? We will be buying an area lift pass to maybe head over to Val D 1/2 days.
Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-02-15 14:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome to Snowheads, @GO1996. You'll be spoilt for choice. Have fun. Well worth having the EK pass. snowHead

Expect to have to pay to pee in Val d'Isere, even if you are buying some overpriced rubbish to eat. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Pam, that's what I thought! heard great things about it, snow in Austria is not great at the moment too, don't worry we wont be staying long in Val D, just ski the runs and get gone haha
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@GO1996, I pretty much skied the whole of EK during the snowHead PSB in 2013. In my experience, the best runs on the Tignes side run from the top of the Grand Motte glacier, best accessed from the Val Claret area (above the lake) via the funiculaire and subsequent GM cablecar. The 'Glacier' and 'Face' pistes (both red) run you all the way back to Val Claret. The 'Genepy' piste (blue) to the right from the top of GM is also worth a run down, but there is potentially a bit of poleing to do when you hit the flat spot as it runs into 'Prariond'. I can't comment on the Brevieres area as it was closed whilst I was there, but there were also a couple of nice drops (reds) down into Tignes 2100 from L'Aiguille Percee as well. As for the Val D side, the run into Val itself via the 'Face' (black) is awesome, and also via piste 'A' and piste 'M' from Solaise. And just for a bit of fun, why not try the Leissieres Express chair lift.... if you like roller coaster rides, you'll love it... I'll say no more so as not spoil the surprise for you wink

Hope this helps and that you have a great trip.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@scubadancer thanks for your suggestings I will be noting these down and planning out runs on the way! we are staying in Tignes 2100, Tignes le lac, is it a hassle to get to these runs and across to Val Claret? or is it a matter of a quick run down?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi out there the same week. Great area though a long time since I skied in Tignes. Out of interest are you staying with skival?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Heard great things, and no we are with crystal, you?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GO1996 wrote:
snow in Austria is not great at the moment too

Tbh honest it's meant to be pretty damn good atm...Austria has been v.good since Boxing Day...more forecast too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AthersT wrote:
GO1996 wrote:
snow in Austria is not great at the moment too

Tbh honest it's meant to be pretty damn good atm...Austria has been v.good since Boxing Day...more forecast too.

Cousins are in St Anton as we speak and say its awful, all snow is from the cannons, not snowed for 2 weeks and none due In next 9 days, no fresh powder to be found anywhere?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@GO1996, Apart from some parts of the Italian Alps its hardly snowed anywhere for the last two weeks! St Anton is a special case, as you say no fresh powder, doesn't mean that on piste conditions aren't great, alot of people who visit St Anton go for the powder/off piste so this may relate to their gripes - forecast isn't looking too shabby either! Also St Anton is far western Austria which will be very different to central and eastern parts.

Quote:
awful
is a bit extreme?!?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I hear your point but I can tell you they said the pistes are very icey too, and I trust someone who is there far more than a forecast as you an actual picture of what's going on
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and regardless of the merits of the snow anywhere at the moment, that may have very little bearing on the position in mid March. It can change very rapidly.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@GO1996, that's understandable, though there is definitely snow due in the next 9 days and it has been sunny in alot of places for two weeks + St Anton is one place not a whole country. So let's re word that first statement....

Quote:
snow in St Anton is not great at the moment too

@pam w, exactly - St Anton has a great record for March snow as we can see in the forecast - things can/might change very quickly indeed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I posted to ask about Tignes not to be quizzed on Austrian weather forecast thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GO1996, I apologise for that NehNeh
latest report
@GO1996,
From the point of view of runs and ease of getting to and from them the whole area interconnects pretty well, basically choose where you want to ski and go there it is not difficult.. If you like challenging pistes Val D'Isere probably has a few more than TIgnes many of the runs down to resort level will offer a challenge.
In Tignes the best piste for a combination of challenge and charm is the Sache which is a black run from the Aiguille Percee down to Les Brevieres. For the most part it is attractive and very straightforward but towards the end it narrows and steepens a little and can build some fair sized moguls,.

If the weather is a bit iffy actually heading over to Val D'Isere usually gives better protection from the elements and skiing the bottom half of Le Fornet is usually quiet.
snow report
@T Bar, thanks for your input, got some good ideas of the best runs in Tignes now
snow conditions
No need to think along the lines of 'We'll go to Val D on one or two days." Just ski where you ski and don't differentiate. Anyway, from a sizeable chunk of the Val D skiing you are only ever two or three lifts away from Tignes.

Val Claret - and all the other bits of Tignes plus Val D - are easily accessed from Le Lac.

Espace Killy is similar to Les Arcs in terms of high mileage skiing, a big area and a big vertical drop. Great scenery too.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
Yeah good idea, just ski where the slopes take us, done that before and always works out well Smile As there only being 2 of us we will want to cover a lot of piste
snow report
@GO1996, Try here:- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112438&start=600

and here:- http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82612&start=2800

wink
ski holidays
The two resorts are so well linked you will find yourself switching between them every day. There are plenty of advanced runs in the EK to keep you happy, including a few that look too scary for me to attempt! (like Epaule, Grizzly and Paquarettes)

If you like bumps there are several challenging naturides - try Golf in Tignes. You have to catch a bus at the bottom, but for that reason it puts people off so the snow is usually good on it.

My favourite runs in the EK are Sache, La Face, Double M from the Glacier all the way down to Val Claret and a morning blast down a freshly-pisted OK/Orange into La Daille.

Oh and for some carving fun, you can't beat a few goes down Grattalu.

I will be there the same week as you!!
latest report
Does the M in "Piste M" stand for Merde ? wink

I liked Tignes (that run not so much though)..
latest report
@GO1996, Val Claret is higher than Tignes 2100/Le Lac, so you can either get the bus to take you up the road (it's not far), or use a combination of lifts starting with the Palafour chair. Thinking again about decent runs you could do, there are a couple of nice trails down through trees (a bit of a rareity in Tignes!) down to Le Daille from the back of the Folie Douce... which is also worth a visit wink
latest report
@scubadancer, thanks, I think we will just get a couple of lifts to get up to val claret rather than the bus, get a few more runs that way
snow report
@GO1996, Good decision Very Happy
latest report
GO1996 wrote:
Heard great things, and no we are with crystal, you?
yes we are there that week with ski val.
snow report
@dan100, ill be the idiot in orange salopettes wink have fun!!
latest report
@GO1996, me too!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy