Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen TR 30 Jan-2 Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know there's plenty about Mayrhofen on this and other threads so I just thought I'd put in a mini report with a couple of recommendations which may help:

Date: as above

Tour Party: 12 guys from Bristol

Transport:
Flight: Easyjet out to Innsbruck- fine as you would expect. On the slopes by 12.30pm.
Return: BMI Regional from Munich. It's a further longer but Easyjet only fly Fri and Sun Inns to Bristol. The time of the return flight (4.10pm) means a short last day (transfer at 12) but Munich airport is v pleasant and I can't praise BMI highly enough. Only slightly more expensive than Easyjet if you include free baggage, but comfy plane, nice stewardess and free food and booze- even took some away with us,

Transfer: 4 Seasons who seem to be the largest company in the area. They were v good. Punctual and complementary water on board which was a god send on Monday.

Accomodation:
Hotel Jagerhof at the top end of town, over the bridge. Only 5-10 mins to both Ahorn and Penken. Bus stop to Glacier directly outside.
V good hotel and one of few who allow less than 7 days block stay at a reasonable price 85E pppn. Wonderful wellness area, nice little bar and decent rooms. The food was plentiful and the best bit was that we were able to upgrade from B&B to HB for 8E per night, for a 3 course meal and salad buffet. Amazing value.

Skiing: As mentioned we got on the slopes by 12.30pm on the Friday. Ticked off Hari Kari with a 50% crash rate. On Fridays there's a photographer and you can down load pictures free. Talk to the rep at the top of the slope.

Penken is a great little area but does get quite crowded. I recommend taking the cable car over to Tux and then skiing over to Eggalm. We did this on the Saturday.

The lift queues at Penken are infamous. We missed them due to late arrival on Friday and changeover day on Saturday. On Sunday we caught the bus directly to Larnersbach, were the skiing was great and the pistes quieter. The bus trip took about 20 minutes but we later heard that there had been a 40 minutes queue to get on the Penken Gondola so were pretty chuffed with ourseleves. We also bussed back as well to avoid the queue to download. We didn't get to the glacier as the piste conditions were so good elsewhere, but I've been there before and it's worth the 30-40 minute bus ride if snow's not great lower down.

Apres: It was 12 blokes so I'll spare you the details. We went to Bruck n Stul every night and were probably the only Brits there. It's a good beer hall style atmosphere. The more British style pubs seemed a bit quiet and the whole town was quieter than last time I was here during fleishing week when everyone wore fancy dress and went nuts.

Top weekend all round and recommend Mayrhofen as a great weekend ski destination, especially staying at the Jagerhof.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is handy. I'm heading out and taking 10 mates with me next Wed until Sun.
We're in the Hotel Waldheim but flight times and train transfers from EDI-MUN mean we'll only get 3 whole days snowboarding/skiing in.

Re the Apres, details would be good for me. This will be my 4th trip to the 'hof but it's always been with the mrs and never really done the whole apres thing there apart from a beer at the ice bar.

I was going to ask about food and large groups in restaurants but I see you ate at your digs. We'll see what happens!

Joe
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@joe1978, You should be fine eating out as a group. Most places are well used to sorting out larger groups.

Bruckn Stadl is always good for apres, but if you want more bar type stuff then the other end of town at Funkys, Mike's Sports Bar and Scotland Yard is where you want to be.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@googiew, cheers!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@joe1978, the Ice Bar at the bottom of Penkenbahn is great fun. In the evening check out the guitarist Brian Cristopher at the sports bar, he's brilliant. I much preferred it to Scotland Yard which I thought was too cramped and smoky. But each to their own!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy