Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Expected cost for edge sharpening is 29EUR over the top

Poster: A snowHead
Hoping someone might advise if 29EUR is expected price to sharpen edges of skis. We're in St Anton, I know it's expensive here, but even so that seems a lot, or should I just accept that's what is expected. Nothing to compare to as first time I've had my own kit. Waxing is fine but don't trust myself sharpening the edges just yet, and think they need some tuning!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that waxing too? If so not that bad tbh.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No just to sharpen edges. Bases are fine.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
yes it's a lot. I way about €22 for edge and wax in Flachau
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing like doing your own edges wink

Well worth learning it is not hard to do if you take your time. Cost of file, stone and edge tool would be about the cost of 2-3 services, and you can take the tools with you and do as needed when on holiday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Crazy price, should be half that.

I'm with Speed098, always do my own now..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my best guess is that €29 is what they charge for an edge & wax, (which is pricey but not over the top) if you don't want the wax they are still charging for it (it is fairly unusual to have the edges done but not the ski waxed)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is it a machine tune? If so, you are taking a bit of a risk there...IF its by hand, then its a great price...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How much is a pint over there? Around 10eur?

On my pint exchange method, that's about £10 to sharpen the edges which doesn't sound too bad to me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can't edge a ski without waxing it after. Doing the base angle takes a layer off. 25-30 euros is a pretty standard price.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Eddd, why? please tell, i must be doing something wrong Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Eddd, maybe if your doing a full service,which would include a base grind ,edge and wax. 29 euros is ball park.

I think the OP just wants to tune his edges. The ski shop will probably bung his skis through a machine and he will get a full service anyway.

Once the base angle is set its best to leave well alone,unless of course there is base damage that requires a base grind.

OP needs to invest a bit of time and some ££s in some instruction and the correct tuning kit with Jon at The Piste Office. ( money well spent if you have a couple of trips/ year or a family trip)

I've done 5 pairs of skis this afternoon, quick edge tune and wax by hand. Quite therapeutic if I don't say so myself wink

Now all I need to do is decide which set to take on my next trip on 28th Feb Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did 1400 pairs this weekend - less theraprutic!
The 'edge' has 2 edges, one underneath and one on the outside. To effectively tune it you need to treat both of these, sort of like a knife - you don't just sharpen 1 side of the blade.
The easiest way to do this is by feel on a wet belt (not the same as a base grind, which is ceramic/stone and more aggressive), giving 1 or 2 degrees of base lift. Most shops will do this. This will always scrape some base. Even if you use a ceramic angle machine (rarer outside of racing shops because expensive) or a file to 1 or 2 degrees, the tolerances in real life will take a little bit of base off.
Plus if you've been skiing long enough to need a sharpen, your bases will be full of salt/piste basher oil/snow cannon additives so its time to clean them and re-wax anyway.

Apologies if I've mistranslated some of the words, I only ever talk about this in frog.

Have a good slide!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
12 euros in champoluc Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for the advice, I think I will need to learn how to do it myself in time, but just wanted some understanding of in resort costs. I guess the answer is it varies from resort to resort! I did wonder if it was an issue that the edges couldn't be effectively tuned without needing to wax as someone mentioned, price was 35EUR for edge and wax, 29 just for edge sharpening. Wasn't concerned about the bases, as I hot waxed the skis before going away and the sliding is fine, it's the gripping on the icy bits, but that probably has a lot to do with user error as well.....

Waxing feels like a lot easier first step into maintenance, and less risk of making a major error than with doing the edges, but seems little value in learning one without the other if you are going to do diy maintenance.

On the pint exchange method, I've been quite surprised at the beer prices in St Anton, cheaper than in UK with the strong Euro!
snow report
Last time I had a wax and edge sharpen in Les Arcs it was 10 euro. Sadly the shop closed down last year
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy