Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription Lens Goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Merry Christmas to all. Claire here, I have hijacked George's computer, so all spelling mistakes are mine!

Has anyone had any experience with prescription lens goggles? We both wear glasses and tried OTG goggles but did not really get on with them, so now we both wear disposable contact lenses just for skiing.

We have seen the prescription goggles advertised but are a little sceptical of them - any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
Claire
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Claire,

I'm a contact lense wearer and I wouldn't go to wearing prescription as the costs multiply. You need Specs and googles and are stuffed if you lose/break anything.... My daily lenses' are all I need, sorry
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
george owen, Hi Claire. I tend to use Oakley L Frame goggles over my glasses...but I also have Adidas E.E. Explorer shades which have a prescription insert on a clip. The same clip system fits into the Adidas goggles, Robin and Yodai AFAIK, which gives a much smaller goggle overall. Of course, I still need to carry a pair of specs, and goggles when I am out in my shades rolling eyes . I gave up on lenses a while ago, it was fun while it lasted!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowbunny,

You stalking me..?
...and you are still addicted.... Laughing

And before you come back to me, I'm working O/T to pay for my hols next week... Thats my good excuse... Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the info JT - I am having a little trouble with my daily lenses but hope to go back to them

Snowbunny - We have always had problems with the glasses lenes fogging over - have you been ok with the Oakley L Frame?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JT, We must stop meeting like this SH's will talk wink . And you're at work, whilst I am having lunch, no it's not turkey : Very Happy D
Quote:

and you are still addicted....

Well, yes, so what's your excuse...anyway I feel sure that you will miss me for all the right reasons when I head off to the snow Little Angel snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claire - you might like to have a look at this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=207373

about Tesco's prescription goggles... Mrs H is seriously considering these and you'll not from Alastair Pinks comment at the bottom that they work for pretty extreme prescriptions...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
george owen, Claire, I use small glass lenses in my specs. I have found that plastic ones steam up. I have heard many folk express concern over the glass, but as I am really shortsighted, the lenses are really thick!. I also use a citrus rub on stick on the lenses as a demister, which works reasonably well. I'm also careful about avoiding getting moisture onto the inside of the lens, so on snowy days I put down my goggles before stepping outside for example. The Oakleys I have found to give the best light definition, fit my face, and are less bulky than most OTG's. Hope this helps, it's such as personal choice Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny,

We must, and I will.

Fair enough if people can make specs work for skiing, I have just ordered my new dailies. And I am very short sighted as well but I have just been checked out - the optician says a check is compulsory every time you order new lenses - and will be in my bins this year...hurrah..!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT,
Quote:

snowbunny,

We must, and I will.

You are too kind Little Angel
I miss wearing lenses, it's so liberating not being stuck in specs. Bet I'm more shortsighted than you Razz
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks everyone for all your help - it was really intersting and helped enourmously.

Claire
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbunny,

My daily prescription is 5, down from 5.5 last year
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JT,
Quote:

My daily prescription is 5, down from 5.5 last year

Call that shortsighted.....Lightweight Razz Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine is 8 and 8.5 - come on fluffy ears - the challenge has been set.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa,
Quote:

Mine is 8 and 8.5 - come on fluffy ears - the challenge has been set.

Another lightweight I see Very Happy

Mine are -8.25 plus -1.25, and -8.75 plus -1 ....sometimes, I get free prescriptions, it depends on how it is measured up by the optician. I make up for being shortsighted by having big ears Very Happy
snow report
Be wewy wewy qwiet!!! Oh.. mine was 9 and 8 - just checked hehehe
snow conditions
You guys must be blind..!!!
ski holidays
JT,
Quote:

You guys must be blind..!!!

Other senses compensate quite well Toofy Grin
latest report
snowbunny, whisker sensitivity? thumper magnitude detection? fur disturbance wind speed and direction? Puzzled wink
latest report
slikedges,
Quote:

snowbunny, whisker sensitivity? thumper magnitude detection? fur disturbance wind speed and direction?

All of those, and, most importantly.....a chocolate proximity detector Little Angel Very Happy
snow report
back to the question (sorry!)...I have some Adidas sunglasses for mountainbiking which have the prescription insert (same idea as the insert that goes in their ski goggles). When riding in damp woodland, the glasses have steamed up and this seems inevitable if you have two layer of lens to trap the air.

Therefore, for boarding I use standard goggles and daily disposables (actually one, coz my right eye cannot take them but this is happily (?) compensated by the fact that my brain only chooses to take about 5% of my sight from that eye anyway!).

This does mean that I can wear standard shades at lunchstops or can take off goggles when on the bus etc and still see what I am doing. Having 3 different types of prescription eyewhere just seems like a recipe for faffing and disaster in my book.
snow report
Tony Lane, I have some new Adidas shades with the prescription insert, EE Explorers, so I will be trying them out on the slopes this season. The faffing around is the only option for some of us who cannot wear contacts.
ski holidays
snowbunny, I really like my adidas cycling glasses and I think that adidas lenses (and those on their goggles) are every bit as good as Oakley - the prescription insert works well and I'm not aware of it when wearing the galsses. My glasses are perfect for road riding (when the passage of air prevents any fogging) and have only had problems when mountainbiking in damp humid conditions when we were not riding fast enough to clear the fogging. I hope you're equally pleased with yours.
ski holidays
Tony Lane, Have you tried the anti fogging sprays?. I have some, but have not had the conditions to test it yet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy