Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

boots closed or undone overnight?

Poster: A snowHead
After too many years of persisting with a boot that was one size too large, I spent a few hours getting fitted properly yesterday - after a lot of sucking of teeth and amusement at my fully collapsed arches we agreed on a pair of Salmon x-max 100. The difference in my skiing today was incredible, it was like going from flip-flops to running shoes. I've been skiing with the boot fitter so he knows how I ski and has been tutting at my boot fit for some time now.... Should have listened sooner!

One question though.... And I suspect this will prove to be divisive as the casque / sans casque debate:

Should I do them up again after taking them off each evening, or should I completely undo and open up, so I start the buckling afresh each morning with, arguably, an easier time getting the boots on.

I'll ask the chap I bought them from when I go back for some tweaking tomorrow afternoon (if I don't see him for a drink before then), but would welcome the thoughts on pros and cons from the assembled masses.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NoDosh,
Quote:

should I completely undo and open up, so I start the buckling afresh each morning with, arguably, an easier time getting the boots on.
If you struggle to get into your boots in the morning then I can recommend a Slippin - .... http://www.slippinltd.com/

Otherwise, I've always assumed keeping them closed helps to retain the shape. Most important thing is to get them dry and unbuckling may help that. When a boot is damp it is v hard work to slip into. Which is completely the opposite of some other things.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Closed, @NoDosh, definitely.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Closed, no debate to be had wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I keep mine closed, on the loosest notch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Was always told to close them to keep their shape, been doing it since I was 8. Don't know any different really. But never had issues with my boot losing it's shape either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Presume though who close don't close with the liner in?? Def want that liner out overnight to dry... I don't bother buckling my shell overnight but do leave them stored with liners in, dry, fully buckled for long periods of time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't think my boots dry out completely during the season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never felt the need to take my liners out while away, but then never had any issues with them getting wet either.

I used to shove my boots in to the locker open and have a 5 minute fight to get them done up again (big calf mussles from playing hockey that need to be squeezed up each morning, which takes me from hardly able to latch on first notch to snug on final notch). I now leave them buckled up reasonably tightly and it IS easier to get them buckled again in the morning as they do hold a bit of their shape, so I'm just fighting my calfs, not the boot plastic too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
closed on the loosest notch (which just happens to be the notch i use anyway), with liners in. close them up right away, so the micro adjusts don't get randomly turned between use.
doubt that not closing or closing the buckles will make any difference to the drying of the liners.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I leave mine open to dry out, closed for any other storage

Getting them on in the morning, easily dealt with by putting them on the boot dryer for 10 mins before putting them on, just warms them up a bit to be flexible
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Never felt the need to take my liners out while away, but then never had any issues with them getting wet either.

+1 I store mine closed. My arthritic fingers are incapable of getting liners in and out without pain - they stay in permanently. Never been aware of any problems of dampness.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Quote:

+1 I store mine closed. My arthritic fingers are incapable of getting liners in and out without pain - they stay in permanently. Never been aware of any problems of dampness.
+1 in every detail. But I put boot heaters in them every evening and for a short while in the morning again, before I put them on. And I also use a Slippin.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fully closed with a set of these in em

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ah yes, should have said - the wardrobe/boot store in my apartment has a built in set of 4 cold air blowers, which I put on overnight, and I also use bootwarmers if feeling indulgent.
snow conditions
Closed !

You only have to look on fleebay to see what happens if you store boots with the buckles not closed. Does it cause any lasting problems rolling eyes not sure as I have always stored boots with buckles closed.
ski holidays
@Mosha Marc, +1 to your post! I have same, very good.
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Fully closed with a set of these in em

Are those the things that make them easier to slip into when they are damp .... ?
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, brilliant, thanks for posting this. Never seen these before but already just ordered one, should help my size 13's slip into the boots a bit easier! Obviously big feet are good in some ways Shocked but they are a right pain to get into ski boots!
snow report
@sev112, lol! So that's why I have such trouble, didn't realise I was supposed to take those out before putting the boots on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
So..... Closed then Very Happy
latest report
@NoDosh, yes - and remember, always but your left sock on before the right. That's also tremendously important
snow conditions
Even if I wear the left one inside-out on the right foot? These are the details we need. Very Happy
latest report
My new heated ski socks are "handed" - or "footed", so require that much more thought. Plus I have to have the "app", of course to avoid groping up the leg of my trousers to alter the heat setting. Life gets more and more complicated....
snow report
@pam w, I would 'ave thought you have a glamorous assistant to grope up/down yer trouser leg to make any and all adjustments that you may find necessary or indeed desirable? No?
snow conditions
@red 27, No, my personal dresser doesn't like the cold, but does come with me to Sardinia in the summer.....
latest report
@sev112, no, they're boot dryers/warmers.

Once you've put on a pair of warmed, dry boots in the morning you'll never look back snowHead
snow report
I have been told a few times that the boots should be left buckled at your ski setting overnight, but cranked on really tight for storage between seasons/trips
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Closed. Open. The bigger picture is keeping your boots right after you've skied. What really matters is removing the built up moisture immediately after skiing. After each day - just like yesterday, today, tomorrow - I get home, open the boots and stuff about six balled up pages of newspaper into each boot, especially from toe to heel for about two hours. If need be remove and repeat with new newspaper once more. Remove for remainder of p.m. to fully air out. In the a.m. each boot is fully dry, ready to ski again.
Newspaper is funny stuff........., nothing to have to plug in - ergo no variance in current or outlet, it never gets hot, above all never over-heats, it's exceptionally hydroscopic and then some, it's readily available throughout the world. Crazy. Like a fox.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 17-02-15 17:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Stored=closed
Overnight=really doesn't make a difference apart from easier to get into.......
Drying the liners is vital though!
ski holidays
sev112. I think my wife has something like that Toofy Grin
latest report
SkiG wrote:
I have been told a few times that the boots should be left buckled at your ski setting overnight, but cranked on really tight for storage between seasons/trips

just loosely closed fro long term storage too, plastic has a memory and of you crank the boots really right for 8 months then it will want to retain that shape, makes the boots feel really tight when you put them on again as the plastic has got used to being in that position
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy