Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommends for high altitude resort near Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
We have mid-March flights booked to Geneva so looking for recommends for a high altitude resort, (1500 or higher) within 1.5 hours drive.

Looking for real town atmosphere so want to avoid purpose-built resorts like Flaine or Avoriaz. Also want to avoid the Swiss Franc at all costs so probably looking at France.

We like intermediate cruisers, no need for off piste. Look forward to any suggestions!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@5RED, I could be wrong but I don't think there are many, or indeed, any resorts at that altitude which aren't purpose built. Nobody in their right mind would have built a town at that altitude unless it was for skiing. That's the bad news. The good news, in my opinion, is that I really don't think you need to be anything like that high for mid-March. Most 1200m villages are still going strong well into April although it does get riskier. We are looking for the same thing as you, but for the first week in April.

How about Les Carroz? You get the snow record of Flaine but a much nicer village,albeit at about 1100m. Should be fine for mid-March.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You shouldn't normally need high-altitude resorts in mid March - and anyway, apart from Avoriaz (which isn't very high) there's not a lot, bar the Grand Montets, which is not really intermediate cruising territory.

Aspect could be more important. Les Contamines has good skiing in mid March, normally, with east-facing top runs. It's a village rather than a town, but not a bad one, albeit a bit strung out.

And of course "real towns" weren't built at high altitude anyway. wink If you want to stay in a "real town" and ski higher, you'll need to be prepared to go up (and possibly down) in a lift from your accommodation.

For example, you could stay in Samoens, which is a real town, and take the lift up to the snow.

Or you could stay in Megeve or St Gervais, also both fairly real though again not terribly high.

Les Saisies is at 1650 - a purpose built ski resort like just about everywhere else at that sort of altitude, but quite an attractive one, plenty of intermediate cruising, especially in lift-linked Notre Dame de Bellecombe. At the limit of your 1.5 hour driving criterion but better resort-level snow in mid March than any of the above.

Courmayeur could be nice - and a bit more cosmopolitan. But I know nothing about the skiing there.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@foxtrotzulu, have stayed at Les Carroz and really liked the skiing. Is it possible to commute up to Flaine, if the lower slopes of Les Carroz are in poor condition. Thanks!

@pam w, thanks for those tips. Agreed on lack of old towns built high up - villages work fine with us too. Will look up your suggestions. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hard bill of requirements... in Switzerland, which is dear, La Tzoumaz, part of the 4 Valley area, nice small village, one grocery store...food and pass will have been hiked 30% of course, but plenty of accommodations still in euro's.

as an aside, curious to see what the resorts do, if anything as so many people now shying away because of the price, or will the say, more mountain left for us rich and famous...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@HeidiAmsterdam, isn't there some law in Switzerland that says shops can't hike the price in specific locations?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gämsbock,
I think she means the effect of the Swiss Franc rise is to hike prices not that the local shops are profiteering.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HeidiAmsterdam, Against the pound the CHF is only up 8%, that combined with the 15-30% price cuts the stores have put in place because € imports are so much cheaper could make quite a difference.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@5RED, yes, easy to get around the whole Grand Massif area. The skiing links should be open at that time, but if not you can either use the local scheduled bus to get up to Flaine, or Les Carroz would possibly lay on a free ski bus up to Flaine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's a thought. Cervinia, 2000 meters. The drive is decent, 52 EUR to go through the Mt. Blanc tunnel, but you'd have that going to Courmayer, and Cervinia offers more variety for a week. The village is quaint, just don't go looking for the purpose built building on the other side of the hill, they're pretty bad. But if you're in the village, you can't see them. I didn't anyway, only when I skied over there.

Cervinia wasn't on my bucket list, but we went last December when snow was scarce, and I was really glad I did, and I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go back if I wanted high altitude and snow sure... definitely ticked all the boxes, with fab views of the Matterhorn as a bonus.

Anyway, food and everything much cheaper in Italy, you'll win back that 52 EUR tunnel fare in a day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You could always stay in Morzine and take the super fast Prodains cable car up to Avoriaz.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HeidiAmsterdam, I really like Cervinia but the transfer is that bit too long as we've an early flight back. Good recommend though.thanks!

@snowfraise, had to ski in Avoriaz recently and it's not an experience I want to repeat!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stretch the car journey out to 2 hours and you can include 3v and paradiski on the target list
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@5RED,
Quote:

@snowfraise, had to ski in Avoriaz recently and it's not an experience I want to repeat!

Confused....are you referring to the skiing or the actual town?

If its the town then why not go to Morzine? Sure its not 1500m but at mid march there is normally decent cover, and if it gets thin then u can just ski on Avoriaz side. PDS has plenty of intermediate cruisers, Morzine has a "real town atmosphere" and its less than 1.5hrs from Geneva.

If its the skiing u are referring to then you'll struggle to find many better areas for intermediates than PDS within 1.5hrs of Geneva! Grand Massif would be the obvious alternative

Quote:

so looking for recommends for a high altitude resort, (1500 or higher) within 1.5 hours drive

Also why are you concerned about the altitude of the resort? Surely the ski area is more important, e.g Chamonix is @ 1000m but has plenty of high skiing over 2000m. "Resort" height is not the best indicator of snow cover, much better to look at, say, amount of skiing/piste km over 2000m.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I thought the skiing around Avoriaz was great!
latest report
@Jenniper, +1. Large ski area, varied terrain suitable for all abilities, relatively snow sure, decent mountain restaurants (which aren't nearly as overpriced as other resorts).
Ok the town isn't v pretty but it's difficult to get everything.
snow conditions
@5RED,

Easily solved by booking a hotel near the airport for the last night... ski a whole day, drive to Geneva, have a sleep, and bright and cheery next morn in the airport...
snow conditions
and if it's only 8% on the pound, I'd suck it up and ski one of the satellite villages of Verbier... great place to ski. Food there isn't so expensive, also not so tasty as Italy, but didn't think it was any more than France, in fact could have been cheaper. I'm talking about mountain prices in Megeve though... as the baseline.
ski holidays
Steve Sparks wrote:
@HeidiAmsterdam, Against the pound the CHF is only up 8%, that combined with the 15-30% price cuts the stores have put in place because € imports are so much cheaper could make quite a difference.

Poorly me has a EURO income, so you won't be seeing me there for awhile... for one person not bad, but it's always x 4 for us... it adds up.
snow report
Just to address the CHF view - don't believe everything you read in the (generally lazy) press. The CHF is now about 8-10% up against the pound, not the 30% it hit for an hour on the fist day of 'unpegging' against the Euro. Also, Verbier has just announced a blanket 15% reduction across the board for accommodation. And as pointed out by HeidiAmsterdam, 'satellites' like La Tzoumaz are cheaper than the Big Name resort they share the ski area with, even in terms of on-piste drinks and food. I don't deny that a Verbier skipass is pricier but then I ski out of La Tzoumaz because I rarely ever have to queue for lifts or chairs: less queuing means more skiing. What I'd say is you should try pricing a 'satellite' based Swiss break just to see if the difference is cost is as great as some in the press would have you believe, although both the Guardian and the Mail have covered La Tzoumaz positively:

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2014/dec/06/satellite-ski-resorts-verbier-four-valleys-switzerland

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2296527/How-Verbier-cheap--stay-little-sister-La-Tzoumaz.html

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 16-02-15 14:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
La Thuile is not far from the Mont Blanc tunnel and provides very snow sure skiing at a reasonable altitude with Italian cuisine, great cruising runs and a link to France.
Not purpose built but not also it has to be said a particularly vibrant town.
snow conditions
The closest ski resort from Geneva is Monts Jura. It is 20 minutes from Geneva , this is a nice ski resorts with the most stunning view of the Alps and the Geneva Lake. The Monts Jura ski area included 48 Alpine slopes and a paradise for cross country skiing. Great for familly , you will find your happiness for all levels.

Have a look to these slopes in http://www.mountain.direct/ski-map-monts-jura/

Have a good ride!!!
ski holidays
@Berg,
Quote:

The closest ski resort from Geneva is Monts Jura.
I'm not sure if the OP has changed his criteria, but Monts Jura doesn't quite count as a 'high altitude' resort.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy