Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French School Holidays 28th Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
I've managed to get a week off for a last minute ski trip on the week starting 28th Feb. Lucky me.

However, I understand that this may coincide with French school holidays. Does anyone know whether this is the case?
More importantly what impact do the school holidays tend to make on French resorts? Lift Queues, numbers on the piste etc?

I realise the answer to this might vary regionally so we are looking at resort near to Geneva: PDS, Samoens, Les Clusaz...

I'm happy to go to Italy or Austria but it would be good to have a full range of resorts to choose from.

Thanks for reading
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, yes, it is French holidays but it is the final week, so won't be quite so busy as the middle two. Paris will also have returned to school. These are the areas that are still on holiday then
Quote:
Aix-Marseille, Amiens, Besançon, Dijon, Lille, Limoges, Nice, Orléans-Tours, Poitiers, Reims, Rouen, Strasbourg
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EdYarker, I agree with @Hells Bells, it will be busy, but not as bad as the next two weeks. I'd go to Italy, personally. wink I have an apartment in a French resort but I don't stay there in the school holidays - I don't do lift queues if I can help it. If you are looking for a DIY trip, fixing your own flights and accommodation, you will find French apartments and hotels very expensive until 7 March, when prices will plummet for the remainder of the season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@EdYarker, It won't be too bad. Our lads' trip to Chatel has regularly been the last of the four French holiday weeks (though this year we have managed to defer to the following week).

Two key things apply. Firstly it is only some of the French on holiday that week rather than other nationalities as well. Secondly it is not Paris and that makes a big difference.

Choosing the areas and times you ski can also help. If you hit the main uplift at the same time as ski school it can get a bit busy and a quick coffee stop at 11.30 followed by lunch at 14.00 means you will be skiing whilst the French eat lunch.

It's really not as bad as the doom-mongers make out.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've skied in the last week several times, and it has been fine.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DJL wrote:
@EdYarker, a quick coffee stop at 11.30 followed by lunch at 14.00 means you will be skiing whilst the French eat lunch.

This top tip also works in other countries
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks very much for your quick replies.
I have actually seen a very enticing deal to Chatel, so I won't let the holdays put me off if I decide that's the best on the table.

Italy is fab (as is Austria) but travelling from Bristol and less than two weeks to go it maybe a case of just going for whatever's out there and £449 for AI hotel in Chatel including lift pass is by far the best I've seen so far!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@EdYarker, that's a great deal, would be interested to know where you found it ( once you've booked of course!)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I stay here during the Frnch holidays and I think most of the panic is cowdoo to be honest
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I have to come home sometime, so during the school holidays makes sense. I was there at New Year but doing stuff other than downhill skiing. Quite sizeable queues and the village street, where I can normally park no problem to do some shopping, was crammed. I haven't skied half term for some years but last time (probably about 2005 or 2006) we just gave up at 2.30 when the afternoon ski schools started and I found pistes unpleasantly crowded all day, with more stupidity than normal.

No, it's perfectly doable if you have no choice - but if you have a choice, there are better places to ski than a French resort in school holiday times, especially Paris holidays.

And some resorts are better than others. And it's not just "big versus small" My son tells me that if you know the lift system well the Espace Killy is fine, because you can get away from the crowds. But Les Saisies, with two major lifts from the "front de neige", is very crowded in school holidays, with lift queues longer than I am prepared to put up with (I don't call a 15 minute wait"fine" and sometimes it was longer). Even when the lower lifts in the wider domaine are all open (which they weren't at New Year) you can't avoid some "bottleneck" lifts and when the best snow for miles around is in Les Saisies, which is not infrequently the case, it can be very busy indeed.

This week probably isn't bad because just about everything is open, with good snow down to low levels.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, New Year is far far busier than February holidays (confirmed by tourist office statistics too). . All surrounding nations cramming their skiing into one week. February is much more spread out, the only bad week is usually the one where Paris and the UK collide, and even then only in resorts popular with both.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

the only bad week is usually the one where Paris and the UK collide, and even then only in resorts popular with both

I suppose it depends what you call "bad". My area is not remotely popular with UK skiers but the Paris weeks are very busy, with some long queues you can't avoid. Nearly all French. When we drove home on Tuesday 10 March we happened to be passing one of the popular gathering spots for kids ski school groups just at the right moment to be astonished by the number of big groups mustering. And that was a quiet week compared to this week.

I'm just spoilt - I like to ski straight onto lifts and down very quiet pistes. Not infrequently 2 or 3 of us have an entire piste to ourselves. Little Angel
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
But then I find places like the 3V or the EK busy in mid January......
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, as do we in January in Serre Chevalier, but many people are unable to ski in those quiet times and quite like skiing in France . Count yourself lucky that you can choose.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:

I'm just spoilt - I like to ski straight onto lifts and down very quiet pistes. Not infrequently 2 or 3 of us have an entire piste to ourselves. Little Angel

Resorts need the busy weeks to exist. There would be no lifts, infrastructure, restaurants etc if they only had 2 or 3 people skiing down a piste Puzzled
snow conditions
@pam w, The OP had a question about a particular week (not coinciding with Paris) when he was considering a ski holiday in France and wanted to know what it would be like. A few of us who have direct relevant experience gave him some feedback. You told him why you don't spend that period in your particular bit of the French Alps. Helpful? Not really.
ski holidays
Quote:

Helpful? Not really.

The OP is also wondering about going to Italy or Austria - something everybody else just ignored in their determination to persuade him that France would be fine.

Of course you can have good holidays in France during the French school holiday periods. I just happen to be sufficiently open-minded to suggest you might be able to have better holidays somewhere else..... wink
snow conditions
However the OPs question was actually

Quote:
However, I understand that this may coincide with French school holidays. Does anyone know whether this is the case?
More importantly what impact do the school holidays tend to make on French resorts? Lift Queues, numbers on the piste etc?

He did not specifically ask a question about the other destinations. We didn't ignore them, there was no information requested.
latest report
The thrust of the question was about French school holidays and French resorts near GVA (including PDS). No-one was doing any persuading.

You should be sufficiently openminded to accept that people who actually spend time there during French holidays know what it is like.
snow report
he asked for the information to make a choice between a range of destinations, including France and in particular he is asking about crowds. I told him that though less crowded than the other French holiday weeks that week will still be considerably more crowded than the following week and that I don't think France is the best destination for that week.

I think that was the kind of information the OP was after but, of course, others might disagree. I have no axe to grind; I don't care where the OP goes on his holidays but I would choose somewhere else, personally, given the choice.

Sorry if that upsets folk.
snow conditions
I have spent several seasons in Courchevel. Based on my experience Hells Bells is right: the main period to avoid is when Paris region is on holiday. And if it overlaps with the UK half term as well then it can get ugly in places. By 28 Feb it all calms down. If you choose a large area like 3V there are many more choices of piste if you want to get away from people. The 3V resorts are 2 hours from Geneva, with frequent transfers available.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy