Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Squint binding question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[img]Hi,

As per the title, I've had some fun and games with my local ski shop mounting my daughters bindings and am looking for some advice.

They didn't have the jig/template for rossignol bindings but said they could measure it by hand, it would be more expensive but fair enough I thought.

The 1st mistake was that they drilled the holes for bigger boots. They had a note of my daughters details and the guy was extremely apologetic, he said he had just got mixed up, wouldn't charge us anything and would fill / re-drill the holes.

I went to collect them yesterday and the first thing I noticed was the space between the toe-piece friction plate and the side of the skis. On both skis the space is about twice as wide on one side as it is on the other. I never measured it but it looked to be about 2-3mm on one side and 5-6mm on the other so it looks like he's mounted the toe-piece slightly squint. He said to leave it with him and he'd fix it so I left him to it.

The pad where the friction plate sits is free-floating so in theory you could force it to be a bit straighter even though the toe-piece was squint and if the skis were for me I would probably would to save any further hassle. However, it's for my 8 yr old so am probably being ultra cautious and anal Smile are there any binding gurus out there that can advise please? I don't think he'll be able to re-drill the holes for the toe-piece as I'd imagine they would overlap the existing ones. I think he's only been a few mm out drilling the holes but they're squint to the naked eye.

I've uploaded a photo of a similar set of bindings if it helps.

Cheers,
Martin

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely new skis after a double f'up. Then take 'em somewhere else to be mounted.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only bug is I got them from backcountry.com in the states (I couldn't get any suitable length twin tips in the UK) so it wouldn't be a case of the shop just giving me a new pair.

I can't fault the shop for their honesty or helpfulness, but am really annoyed at the balls up. I've never mounted bindings myself but thought he would have at least looked at the toe piece, even stuck it down with double sided tape just to make a final check / measurement before drilling.

As I said it's not the aesthetics that's bothering me it's if it could potentially tweak my girls knees.

Cheers,
Martin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
if they were mounted for the correct boot length the second time but squint then fixing them probably means he will move them off the recommended mounting point which may be fine, otherwise he would have to fill the holes with epoxy & steel wool and drill them straight which is not something you would accept after paying an 'pro' to do it
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy