Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowshoeing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having been struck down with tonsillitis this week, while in Oz en Oisans, I spent a miserable Wednesday morning mooching about the apartment, feeling too grotty to ski, yet wanting to do something in the snow and sun. I was wondering if snowshoeing might be a nice thing to do on those days when skiing might be off the agenda? Any recommendations?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Fenfilly, hard work but fun - suggest join group with guide and I would not recommend being the one breaking trail - less supportive than I imagined
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can't see it being muchess hard work than skiing?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find it harder than skiing as use arms more and different muscles as legs are slightly duck turned when walking. I love it though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Fenfilly, Definately give it a go! I love it & you can be as extreme or gentle as you feel. It isn't necessarily the easy option though, but I have only once fallen into a snowdrift. It's worth going with a guide initially if only to learn how to use the things.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

you can be as extreme or gentle as you feel.

exactly. Some trails are pisted and easy. But yes, "breaking trail" in deep snow is quite hard work and, of course, you are as subject to avalanche danger as skiers are.

For a competent skier, pottering round a blue run is likely to be easier, and less challenging to the lungs with a lift to take you uphill.

Snowshoeing (or cross country skiing) is what I'd be doing if I were in the Alps this week, though. I don't do lift queues.

Most resort tourist information offices will have a handy map of snowshoe trails.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys. I'm also training for the Moonwalk in London, and as my next ski trip falls in the middle of my training schedule, it occurred to me that snowshoeing might be a good thing to do. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowshoeing is fun and great exercise! I wish I was doing it more often but unfortunately best days for snowshoeing are also the best days for skiing. Take a guide if you've never done it before. It's fairly simple and guys in the shop explain well how to use the equipment when I rented for the first time, but I was grateful my friend was with me and giving me tips as we walked the mountain trails.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's like a walk in the forest. Like using xc skis only you don't need a trail. You can get guided tours some places (eg Big White etc), but otherwise you can rent the gear.

I'd disagree slightly with the above. In bad weather for skiing (eg freezing rain on the hill, or breakable crust, or total white out), snowshoes can be useful.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fenfilly, go for it, they are great exercise, and get you away from the noisy crowded ski slopes, far more chance of wildlife encounters.
Hope you get over the tonsilitis soon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

In bad weather for skiing (eg freezing rain on the hill, or breakable crust, or total white out), snowshoes can be useful.

Indeed. In saying it was less effort for a competent skier to cruise the blues, I was just thinking of aerobic effort really (because cruising the blues is really no aerobic effort at all, is it, with a lift to carry you up?)

In Les Saisies there are lots of organised walks on snowshoes, of varying degrees of challenge. I've not done any of those - I prefer to have a quiet walk, but I'm a bit careful where I go. Sometimes some of the trails are closed for avalanche risk.

Snowshoes are cheap to rent and don't require much expertise to use on non-scary walks. It becomes obvious when it makes sense to clip your heels down, or to use the "lift" things for climbing. Long poles are a big help.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did snowshoeing for the first time this year and am a convert. Definitely more rewarding than skiing in a whiteout or on bad piste days. We had a non-skier in the party and one of us skiers accompanied her on bad skiing days. as mentioned, using two ski poles makes a big difference. I really enjoyed getting away from the pistes into virgin forest.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Indeed. In saying it was less effort for a competent skier to cruise the blues, I was just thinking of aerobic effort really (because cruising the blues is really no aerobic effort at all, is it, with a lift to carry you up?)

That was my thinking. If you are feeling wiped out from illness,and with razor blades down your throat I think skiing on blues with gravity and a chair lift to rest on would be easier than hauling your butt around the forest on showshoes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies folks. I think I'll give it a go in April! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy