Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier guide / instructor - any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Two of us are off to Verbier (first-timers there) for a few days in March, with the intention of becoming slightly less rubbish at off-piste/powder stuff. For the last three years we've done all-mountain courses at Chamonix, and can sometimes ski deep-ish, steep-ish things without catastrophe. Sometimes. But we've got a long, long way to go.

For reasons that are too complex to explain, we've been booked with a private guide for a few days. My dilemma: he's a boarder, we're skiers. And ideally, there'd need to be an element of tuition as well as guiding.

Any advice? To what degree can a boarder (who no doubt is an expert skier, too) teach us skills, without being able to demonstrate physically? Should I ditch this booking and try and find a skier?

Or doesn't it matter? In my (fairly limited) experience of guides, they're not really into the tuition thing - it's been more about taking you to places that they estimate are within your capability, and letting you find your own feet.

Anyway, any tips gratefully received...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ditch him & get a skier.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ditch him and go to Powder Extreme. Guides aren't necessarily teachers, Powder Extreme will show you the best places on the mountain and teach you how to ski them.

Simples.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Backside of Mont Fort really requires skis. At least for the routes you are likely to be doing. It is a long walk with a board.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice, all. Boarder has been (gently) ditched and Powder Extreme booked. And I've put a pint each for you behind the bar at the White Horse in Llandeilo. Cheers.

p.s. update: our jilted boarder just sent me a very nice email, saying no problem... and also recommending Powder Extreme. So to complete the circle, if anyone's ever looking for off-piste boarding in Verbier, then Dre at Fresh Tracks is your man.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy