Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are wider skis on piste leading to more injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
coddlesangers wrote:
i don't think its a "Brit" skiier phenom, as its just as likely to be a Dutch or German or Belgian holdiay skiier with a wider weapon.

I've even spotted French people using them on hardpack. Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@miranda, No Italians or Swiss though, they love their slalom skis wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wider = 90mm plus or 100mm plus? Is there an industry standard width for a piste ski nowadays??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@Mike Pow, why would you ever want to be on it? Might as well be on piste Twisted Evil

Indeed, albeit a very soft piste.

Each to his own.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geeo wrote:
Quote:

Plenty using the fat rockered crutch to get into the soft stuff.

yes yes, just like those slalom skiers on their 64mm crutches to help them get through the gates faster rolling eyes
l

Come see the circus on Hokkaido.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@AthersT, does depend a bit on what you weigh, but i'd be looking at 80-85mm foot for a piste ski with some all mountain ability (ie will still be enjoyable when pistes get slushy or in some fresh snow lying on a piste, ok to skid around if you are feeling lazy and don't want to carve all the time). Once you get below 75mm, the ski is likely to be a better carver but it becomes a bit more one-dimensional IMV. Turn radius is also a factor and really comes down to a compromise between stability (less side cut) and ability to carve really tight turns (more sidecut). If I was in the market, I'd be looking for 18-22m turning radius but lots of people like things more turney

I'm happy enough skiing pistes on much wider skis but I'm not kidding myself that I am getting ultimate piste performance when doing so
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Italians, Swiss, Austrians and Germans and instructors prefer narrower skis for general skiing. Can't comment on France. I guess this partly comes from the racing culture as skiing is followed much more.

I do understand why Brits go wider as they no doubt help off piste and my skis are a little wider than a pure piste ski for powder days. However I prefer something that really carves as they are the most fun. As the reality on the slopes is that most holiday skiers understandably don't carve then this is not going to bother a holiday skier. I'm basically told what kit to use by instructors so don't really have much choice and as that advice has helped me improve I'm happy to go with it. Of course will go wider when mainly off Piste. It's entertaining to watch people who really can't ski on fat rockered skis on Piste so really does not bother me. I would have thought though more people would be better off going with what ski instructors advise rather than market trends but entirely up to them.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Arno, +1. 80 was the widest ski I've seen used by regular keen local skiers for general skiing. Of course many will also have some fat skis.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I would have thought though more people would be better off going with what ski instructors advise rather than market trends but entirely up to them.

Why? It's not down to a ski instructor to advise a client which ski to ski on..... its up to the ski instructor to agree what terrain the skier wants to ski on and teach them to ski on the ski they turn up on relative to that terrain I 'd have thought. Most people would I assume have the common sense to turn up on a ski that was broadly piste orientated, or off-piste biased if that's what they had in mind that day?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if ever I think about taking an instructor's advice on what ski to use, I cure myself by watching this Wink

http://youtube.com/v/uPOE8aSRjpM
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arno, S&R Hemel took notice, they recommended them for my daughter for her BASI L1 Shocked Are they sponsored too wink

I've got a pair of Blizzard Piste skis and Line Prophet 98's for off piste or days when there is a really good fresh covering on piste. They are a lot more tiring to ski, down to the width and length I guess but they're also a lot heavier. I wouldn't want to use them all the time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arno, Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Arno,
Quote:

if ever I think about taking an instructor's advice on what ski to use, I cure myself by watching this

But that's a British ski school in France not a real one.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
@AthersT, does depend a bit on what you weigh, but i'd be looking at 80-85mm foot for a piste ski with some all mountain ability (ie will still be enjoyable when pistes get slushy or in some fresh snow lying on a piste, ok to skid around if you are feeling lazy and don't want to carve all the time). Once you get below 75mm, the ski is likely to be a better carver but it becomes a bit more one-dimensional IMV. Turn radius is also a factor and really comes down to a compromise between stability (less side cut) and ability to carve really tight turns (more sidecut). If I was in the market, I'd be looking for 18-22m turning radius but lots of people like things more turney

I'm happy enough skiing pistes on much wider skis but I'm not kidding myself that I am getting ultimate piste performance when doing so

I found a 74mm wide ski surprisingly capable off piste...indeed here is rob@rar on his Titan sub 80mm piste skis...

https://vimeo.com/85041345
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Arno, snoworks seem to have backed off the BBR hyping recently I've noticed....
ski holidays
People are at liberty to ski on what they want but I think I would be pretty stupid to ignore advice I have paid for when it helps me have more fun. Standard advice for basic instructing for general skiing is 70 to 80 and narrower for more advanced instructing as that is where you get most performance. If people want to buy based on marketing or sponsored promos up to them.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
here is rob@rar ...

https://vimeo.com/85041345

Wot, no helmet, no airbag, no backpack ? Where does he keep his shovel ? Shocked Toofy Grin

Popcorn fodder. Laughing
ski holidays
@kitenski, Happy I do some times stand there looking enviously at wider skis then watch the pros rip powder on race skis which reminds me it is ultimately down to me.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
@kitenski, ......... then watch the pros rip powder on race skis which reminds me it is ultimately down to me.

Which is why wider skis exist Little Angel
ski holidays
Are we really doing this again?

Fat skis are a crutch for people who can't ski off piste but skinny skis on piste are the right gear for the terrain. Tick!

An odd tone when discussing others' equipment choices and ability. Skiers who aren't as good as me are funny especially when they have the wrong gear. Tick!

A general assumption that no one other than me and my instructor knows anything about anything. My instructor said that...Tick!

Sweeping generalisations. Brits do this. The whole of Europe does something else. Tick!

Fat skis = new helmet.
snow report
@TTT,
Quote:

I prefer to get different views from instructors and locals who have far more experience

Whereabouts in Aviemore do you live? Or did you flit to Fort William?
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
I do some times stand there looking enviously at wider skis then watch the pros rip powder on race skis which reminds me it is ultimately down to me.

I wonder if this why you - in your own words - "don't even like skiing"?

Comparing yourself to pros ripping powder in race skis doesn't seem to be bringing you much joy?!
latest report
I have to admit that I have had so much fun on my 120mm Bents this season, they even carve OK on blue pistes with a 19m turn radius. But most of my skiing has been on my 67mm SL skis which are much more fun on the groomed stuff. For 6 years my only skis were all mountain 98mm underfoot twin tips, for an all round ski they were great, but it wasn't until I started using SL skis that I really started to improve my piste skiing.

But almost all the locals I know keep a pair of fat skis for the several days each season when a real powder fest arrives, apart from some racers who are so experienced on narrow skis that they prefer them Toofy Grin

For those who are of the opinion that fat skis are just a crutch, lets see you doing 360s off drops, taking off switch , high speed long turns and buttering mounds with a slim ski. I know some who do but they are generally from the FIS stock. IMHO using a slim ski off piste tends to limit most people to short bouncy turns.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 13-02-15 18:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@gorilla, of course they are generalisations but then generally they are true. It is just standard advice and I'm not arrogant enough to think I know better than experienced pros but clearly some people think they do. I've also absolutely nothing against fat skis per se or people using fat skis as a crutch. Just see a lot of brits on less than ideal kit for what they are doing. I appreciated being told very directly to get appropriate kit rather than having my wrong decisions sucked up to. If people are happy it is their choice to skid around. It seems some people really can't grasp the concept this is an Internet message board and people may have different experiences and different views and it is not to be taken too seriously. If you want a cosy narrow view of the world where everyone agrees then there are publications/clubs/TOs/instructors which cater for that market.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
I have to admit that I have had so much fun on my 120mm Bents this season, they even carve OK on blue pistes with a 19mm turn radius

That is a seriously tight turn Shocked
snow conditions
moffatross wrote:
Wot, no helmet, no airbag, no backpack ? Where does he keep his shovel ? Shocked Toofy Grin

But I do have a nice bobble hat on wink

Was meant to be working on "Central Theme" development that morning (snowploughs and the like), but it unexpectedly snowed so we dipped off the side (under the direction of my Trainer, who has been based there full time for 15 years) for some turns in nice snow on gentle terrain. Then after lunch we returned to Plan A and had a happy few hours perfecting plough turns Happy
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
I found a 74mm wide ski surprisingly capable off piste...indeed here is rob@rar on his Titan sub 80mm piste skis...

just like I find my fat skis surprisingly capable on piste Wink

the waist widths I quoted are just guidelines, obviously.
snow report
My advice is be on the ski that is suitable for the kind of skiing you mostly do, especially if it helps you have more fun. The more "niche" the ski the more fun it will give you in its niche conditions, but the more compromised the fun will be outside of its niche. Decide what skiing you're actually going to be doing (rather than stuff you might aspire to, but realistically you don't) and then choose your skis accordingly (demoing some if you can).

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 13-02-15 15:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@miranda, I love watching pros ski everything with anything. There will always be some better or worse than you on the mountain. I like skiing with people of all nationalities and abilities. I do not like narrow minded brits who suck the joy out of skiing. As I'm not particularly into skiing then I think who you end up skiing with is far more important than your ability or ski width. Don't worry though I have plenty of ski invites from family, friends and acquaintances who are really funny to be with so I will not be joining any SH bashes, TO holidays or SCGB although I'm sure I could liven up a SB holiday. I do actually agree with many of the views on here of both the fat and thin persuasion but narrow should be for skis not views.
snow report
At the SIA demo days you could see testers ripping the same aggressive GS turns on skis from 70- 120mm. You just have to be able to tip them.
snow report
sah wrote:
TTT wrote:
Brits seem most at risk as a disproportionate number are skiing fat skis on piste compared to locals

Not where I ski.

Nor where I am - it's the tourists floundering on the crappy Rossi rental sticks while the locals whoop it up on full rocker.
latest report
TTT wrote:
, . I do not like narrow minded brits who suck the joy out of skiing. As I'm not particularly into skiing.

I don't know if anyone is into narrow mindedness, but I really don't see that it is the prerogative of a single nationality.

It does seem peculiar to join a forum consisting largely of a nationality you don't like talking about a sport you are not particularly into unless you just enjoy trolling though.
snow conditions
I did not say that Brits are the only ones with a propensity for narrow mindedness but the capacity does seem to be extended by a narrow strip of water. There are plenty of people on here who do actually know about skiing and or are not of the narrow minded disposition that think they know better than experts and locals
ski holidays
@T Bar, My thoughts entirely wink
ski holidays
The defensive aggressive narrow minded types on SHs are good to wind up. They like to impose their views on the world but really don't like having them challenged. It seems even stranger to me that these people choose to ski in countries and criticise locals and experts. Not fun to be around skiing and best avoided.
snow report
@TTT, I don't recall seeing anyone on here criticising locals and experts..........in fact I spend most of my time skiing in Austria with locals and we have no shortage of laughs I can assure you Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

I don't recall seeing anyone on here criticising locals and experts

No one did. People generally don't.
snow report
Plenty of threads having a go at the French mainly and BASI sometimes. They also don't seem very keen on expert instructors, taking expert advice or judges or lawyers.
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
The defensive aggressive narrow minded types

I asked you if you thought comparing yourself to pros ripping powder on race skis was a factor in your dislike of skiing, and you replied saying you didn't like "narrow minded Brits who suck the joy out of skiing" but not to worry because you would not be joining SH bashes, TO holidays etc.. Puzzled
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@T Bar, My thoughts entirely wink
And mine. Self-important and patronising. Me no likee.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy