Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are wider skis on piste leading to more injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
TTT wrote:
Brits seem most at risk as a disproportionate number are skiing fat skis on piste compared to locals

Not where I ski.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Neiltoo, fat and rocker-ed skis can open up a whole new experience in deeper snow than skinny skis. Bigger, carving, floatier turns, though can still do trad bouncy turns. Fats can let you get away with less technique in powder simply due to the extra float, but to really use them still requires a decent skill level.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My only pair of skis are 66mm underfoot x 170cm long, I have tried fat(ish) skis ~88mm Rossi Experiences and a couple of others but find they handle like a tractor with a broken axle in comparison when in the bumps and trees
Quote:

But you wont be able to keep up with someone at the same level of skill who is on fatter skis, and do you not think people who are as good as you at skiing or better even use fat skis off piste?? I do and I don't think it's to make it easier..

Those who skied offpiste with me on the BB last week could answer this one.

Bottom line for me is that I only want to carry one pair of skis, yes, if there was a day of deep fluffy powder, I could use fat skis to good effect but I find that skinnies are the best all rounders

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 12-02-15 18:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@geeo, it's a valid observation even it causes vexation amongst the over sensitive. tools which are most fun for the job in my view but really don't care - just amuses me to see a bus load of brits skiing on piste all day on fat skis while the locals are on regular skis on piste and fat skis off.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sah, yep does depend on where you ski and whether the resort has more of a race or freeride culture
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@geeo, it's a valid observation even it causes vexation amongst the over sensitive. tools which are most fun for the job in my view but really don't care - just amuses me to see a bus load of brits skiing on piste all day on fat skis while the locals are on regular skis on piste and fat skis off.

Try skiing outside of France then, That's not what the British skiers at Glencoe are like either.

But I do agree, fat skis and hard pack = sore knees at the end of the day, damn physics Little Angel

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 12-02-15 18:20; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Amusing how geeo gets agitated when we are actually agreeing. I rarely ski in France so wrong again
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agitated? more fishing??

sorry I replied with my thoughts.

Where else do bus loads of Brits regularly go apart from France to ski Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@geeo, usually a few Parks of Hamilton coaches in the Champoluc (IT) car park of a week
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geeo, Very Happy they do get herded elsewhere sometimes - it was amusing though as to a person they all got off the bus for a day of piste skiing with fat skis in what was primarily a piste resort. The power of marketing. Absolutely nothing against fat skis per se.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
..but we digress. Up to them if skidding around is your thing: Don't suppose any survey will change the herd instinct
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TTT, which resort was that then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TTT, what on earth is a piste resort? is the whole mountain groomed Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arno, one you don't frequent - some resorts are renowned for their off-piste, some area less so - unless you like rock skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TTT, I'm a big fan of places which aren't renowned for off-piste. had a great time at Hinterthal a couple of weekends ago - could ski untracked snow right next to the piste. i was in a mixed group so it was ideal. My friends skied the piste and i could ski powder without being too antisocial. i was on fat skis and would like to apologies for anyone i offended with my snowboarder impressions on a couple of bits of icey piste i couldn't avoid Embarassed
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
...it's a valid observation even it causes vexation amongst the over sensitive. tools which are most fun for the job in my view but really don't care - just amuses me to see a bus load of brits skiing on piste all day on fat skis while the locals are on regular skis on piste and fat skis off.
So you want us to believe that you spend your time looking for a British bus, then you take a look in the storage to see what kind of gear the people have, then you follow them around "all day" confirming that they never venture off piste? Ha ha ha ha, yeah right.

Damn those lousy brits, they can't even do trolling well.
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
@TTT, I'm a big fan of places which aren't renowned for off-piste. had a great time at Hinterthal a couple of weekends ago - could ski untracked snow right next to the piste. i was in a mixed group so it was ideal. My friends skied the piste and i could ski powder without being too antisocial. i was on fat skis and would like to apologies for anyone i offended with my snowboarder impressions on a couple of bits of icey piste i couldn't avoid Embarassed

Hell yeah: renowned for offpiste = tracked, renowned for families = private powder.
ski holidays
@TTT,
Without trying to digress from the OP's original topic is it not possible that part of the reason you see more Brits on piste with fat skis is because of the Airlines and the weight limits that they impose. Thus people can only take one pair of skis.
Locals and even most other Europeans do not have these restrictions to deal with.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
Hell yeah: renowned for offpiste = tracked, renowned for families = private powder.

It's taken me a while but I've only just cottoned on to this.
latest report
@philwig, 1) I was on the bus as it was a cheap convenient option 2) Not exactly difficult to see everyone skis and 3) it was an on piste ski tour but hey if people want to ski on skis that are not appropriate for most of what they are doing most of the time that is their choice or actually more likely ski industry marketing. Brits are generally naturally not local mountains, so they know less about skiing, don't have a race race culture and buy skis wider than is ideal for what they are doing most of the time. So what. Freeride world tour they are on fat skis. Vail championships they are on thin skis. Skiing is prime time in local ski countries. UK - ski Sunday. Different ski cultures. People who live near mountains are generally better skiers and know more about skiing than those who ski occasionally on holiday. It is just different geography and different cultures. No idea why people need to get excited about the obvious.

They are indeed some places where off-piste is not the thing and the lack of snow and rocky terrain meant it was not a good idea
snow report
TTT wrote:
No idea why people need to get excited about the obvious.

Wasn't it you who was felt the need to point it out because it was so amusing?!
snow conditions
So it amuses me. Is there something wrong with being amused. I thought skiing was meant to be fun. I don't see fat skis as up there with the international issues such as Greece, Ukraine, IS and being being a bit delayed on a crystall ski holiday.
latest report
Yep locals will often have a quiver where as holiday skiers may well go wider as will only buy one ski and want the assistance for the occasional off Piste excursion as they will also typically need that extra assistance as less opportunity to ski. I suspect some marketing though and people skiing on fatter skis than ideal for what they are doing most of the time which restricts their ability to improve. They still looked like they were having but maybe less fun than they could.
snow conditions
@TTT,
We do have good coverage here in the UK, ski Sunday is so last century NehNeh

I have watched almost all of the world champs and most of the Universiade skiing and snowboarding in Spain so just how much more do we need maybe the Europa cup would be nice but there is only so much time available to watch the box so something else would have to give.

You have such a lowely opinion of British skiers, and yes some are pretty pi55 poor at it but so are some locals. We have some fantastic skiers and instructors so please stop with the national steriotyping of everyone treat each person individually.
ski holidays
@TTT, I think skiing is supposed to be fun. As is snowHeads. But even I (who always skis with a local instructor in France, doesn't think Brits invented skiing, don't overrate my abilities, doesn't have fat skis or expensive custom-fitted boots etc. etc.) am finding your negative generalisations about "Brit skiers" and then accusations about everyone else being "sensitive" and "excitable" a bit tiresome now.
snow report
@Perty, No, you need to apply more force to put it on edge, and because of the width edge change is slower. So there is extra effort involved. Stiffness is a lesser factor here as skiers tend to choose skis with stiffness that matches their ability. But I also don't think that (at least in Europe) people rush to buy fat skis until they get skiing dialled in to the point that they understand the fat ski limitations.
ski holidays
Doesn't a lot depend on the design, length and stiffness of the ski as well?

My Black Pearls are 88mm wide, but they don't feel as wide as that. They are so easy to turn, I actually feel they are fairly easy on my knees (which have crepitus and are rubbish).
snow report
I think ankles and knees are in far greater danger from poor technique than wider skis.

The propensity for most skiers to actively drive the downhill knee closer to the uphill knee and then let it sit behind it creating an 'A frame' from knee down puts a tremendous strain on ankles and knees.

Hit an unexpected bump, ice or deeper snow and it could be game over.

The aim should be to have the knee aligned over the tip of the ski as much as possible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mike Pow wrote:
I think ankles and knees are in far greater danger from poor technique than wider skis.

The propensity for most skiers to actively drive the downhill knee closer to the uphill knee and then let it sit behind it creating an 'A frame' from knee down puts a tremendous strain on ankles and knees.

The aim should be to have the knee aligned over the tip of the ski as much as possible.

And trying to ski a fat rockered ski on a hard piste is a good way to show up weaknesses in your carving technique and physical fitness.

When you are up on edge on a fat ski your foot is acting through a point offset a long way above where the edge is engaged (assuming the the snow is hard). A lack of physical strength and good balance to be able to hold this position will result in the skier doing exactly as you describe and skiing in an A-frame.
ski holidays
hyperkub wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

And trying to ski a fat rockered ski on a hard piste is a good way to show up weaknesses in your carving technique and physical fitness.

When you are up on edge on a fat ski your foot is acting through a point offset a long way above where the edge is engaged (assuming the the snow is hard). A lack of physical strength and good balance to be able to hold this position will result in the skier doing exactly as you describe and skiing in an A-frame.

Don't forget off-piste. Plenty using the fat rockered crutch to get into the soft stuff.
latest report
Fat rockered skis are simply a better tool for the job in powder. No disagreement about that. What I do disagree with is recommending hugely fat skis as all-mountain skis for intermediates. That won't help their skill development. I wouldn't recommend too long and stiff GS skis to a junior racer for the same reason....
snow report
So, should I buy a pair of Salomon Q98 as the first ski that I have ever owned myself? Lol.
snow conditions
hyperkub wrote:
Fat rockered skis are simply a better tool for the job in powder. No disagreement about that.

Depends on the powder, depends on whether you want to be on it or in it.

For the majority, if you don't have the skills you need to drop the bills.
snow report
I ski a lot with Brits and Brit instructors as well as mountain locals so I'm not down on Brits at all. It is just an obvious geographical reality that generally Brit holiday skiers don't ski as much as locals and instructors. Skiing with instructors and locals has given me different experiences, views and perspectives than I had before. SHs is primarily a brit message board. The narrow island perspective of many on SHs is both amusing and tiresome. It is natural and somewhat sad that many people only prefer to hear their own perspectives of the world based on their own limited experiences. I prefer to get different views from instructors and locals who have far more experience. One of those views is that many Brits are often being sold fatter skis than is ideal for the skiing that they do. I'd recommend that people use skis suitable for what they do as they are more fun. But if people are happy in their world I don't see that it really matters as doubt it increases injuries substantially.

It is also strange how people take an Internet message board so seriously and don't have a sense of humour.
latest report
@Mike Pow, why would you ever want to be on it? Might as well be on piste Twisted Evil
snow report
Quote:

Plenty using the fat rockered crutch to get into the soft stuff.

yes yes, just like those slalom skiers on their 64mm crutches to help them get through the gates faster rolling eyes

In fact not even to go through gates, loads of bad holiday skiers are using carvers that are way above their carving level
latest report
AthersT wrote:
So, should I buy a pair of Salomon Q98 as the first ski that I have ever owned myself? Lol.

I ask because I am someone who has skiied for over 10 years but have always rented - this has limited me to piste/very near to piste skiing. I have become interested in going off piste at some point especially when there are good conditions, yet would still like to be able cover plenty of KM's on piste with mates.

I cannot afford to have multiple pairs of skis, especially as I only tend to have 2 weeks max of skiing per season. It also would be annoying transporting multiple pairs of skis on every holiday, just to be prepared for all conditions/eventualities.

So my thought was to get All Mountain Ski's that perform well enough both on/off piste. Any recommendations for widths or maybe particular models?
Or will All Mountain skis potentially cause a strain injury?
ski holidays
Quote:

One of those views is that many Brits are often being sold fatter skis than is ideal for the skiing that they do.

+1
One of the guys on the bb last week was about 30kg lighter than me, on skis 50% wider than mine and wondering why he had difficulty keeping his speed down on piste
Quote:

loads of bad holiday skiers are using carvers that are way above their carving level

+1 I see less than about 5% of skiers actually making any carved turns

I think there is an element of "mine's fatter than yours" in the marketing of skis, like the 205 /210cm skis of 30 years ago, few people could use them but who cares about function?
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
I think there is an element of "mine's fatter than yours" in the marketing of skis, like the 205 /210cm skis of 30 years ago, few people could use them but who cares about function?

From my original post: ".... is the trend to using ever wider skis by on piste skiers a triumph of fashion over functionality....?"

I think we are in agreement. Laughing
snow report
TTT has a point. However it may come across, if you looked at a bell curve of local skiiers and the kit they use in most Swiss resorts, it'd be heavily tilted towards carvers and piste oriented skis, while pure holiday skiiers would tend more towards wider skis - but i don't think its a "Brit" skiier phenom, as its just as likely to be a Dutch or German or Belgian holdiay skiier with a wider weapon. Fnarr. I do a lot of piste and piste side skiing and am on 90mm, which i think is a nice compromise with enough float for the very rare powder days, while being easy enough to edge to have a great time carving around the pistes the rest of the time. I do think 110+ skis aren't ideal for most of the regular season conditions (icy on piste, hardpack, windblown crust etc), but to each their own....I did get a massive giggle out of an experience in a hire shop a few weeks ago when a colleague from London insisted that the ski shop give him the widest ski they had, as he was an experienced, excellent skiier....only for his subsequent skiing to be less than excellent. He still had a good time, but i think he'd have had a better one if he'd been on something easier to edge (conditions were fairly boilerplate low down).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy