Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are wider skis on piste leading to more injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
@miranda, or qualms about being hostile to foreigners wink my instructors let me know about my skiing and personality limitations in no uncertain terms so I think there is little danger of that being true whereas this forum is full of overinflated views of their skiils and knowledge. The s+r ability levels are hilarious so presumably you believe there is a large number of SHs with this disorder which I admit have never previously heard of. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, substance over form
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 15-02-15 18:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TTT, as much drift as a Brit skiing a fat ski on Piste Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TTT,
You appear to have a great insight into others ability and their judgment of it. Can you share with us how you establish it?
I haven't a clue what the overwhelming majority think about their skiing . Even if I did I would have even less of a clue about how to establish thee accuracy of this judgment without having seen them ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@moffatross, you may feel special I don't. Just an increasing reality of the world we live in. The UK government certainly does not recognise me as British for practical purposes. The only thing British about me is one piece of paper.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, just look at the comments how people rate themselves on this message board. There are a lot more advanced and expert skiers on this forum than there are on slopes. See Brit level ratings. For me an advanced skier is ISIA Std as that is a decent local Std and a full cert pro is an expert the rest of us are just various level of intermediate. As there are limited number of ISIA and full cert Std Brits there are few advanced and expert Brits. My comments on here really are just relaying the views of full cert trainers and locals as I know they are far better than me and they know a lot more than I do.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TTT,
Quote:

@T Bar, just look at the comments how people rate themselves on this message board.

I don't' see that many comments about how people rate themselves in all honesty.
Quote:

See Brit level ratings

What are these?
Quote:

For me an advanced skier is ISIA Std as that is a decent local Std and a full cert pro is an expert the rest of us are just various level of intermediate. As there are limited number of ISIA and full cert Std Brits there are few advanced and expert Brits.

All you are effectively saying is hat you use some adjectives differently from others. The terms expert intermediate and advanced are virtually meaningless without some attempt at defining . SO you may define am advanced skier as someone capable of passing ISIA someone else may define it as being capable of doing linked turns on a black run neither is correct or incorrect. But the misclassification may arise in your opinion of what they are saying rather than their own opinion.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@TTT, I deleted my post because the question I asked ('Am I a foreigner too ?'), may (just) have been misinterpreted as being serious. My list was a list of things that I as 'a UK national' Skullie have in common with you as 'a foreigner' but that you as 'a foreigner' say that 'Brits' naturally can't have in common. My 'special' was a very tongue-in-cheek 'I once felt special', and it related to my once having been a teenager.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@T Bar, I fully accept there is some difference in terminology. However, a brit holiday skier will say and mean that I'm an impressive skier when I am on my game whereas as instructors and local who know I don't take skiing seriously will say im not too bad for a Brit ie rubbish. Instructors have told me privately what they really think of the typical Brit skier which they don't say to them as customers. It is just a practical reality.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moffatross, no problem. I find what is nationality an interesting question in this day and age where people increasingly work and live internationally.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TTT wrote:
@T Bar, I fully accept there is some difference in terminology. However, a brit holiday skier will say and mean that I'm an impressive skier when I am on my game whereas as instructors and local who know I don't take skiing seriously will say im not too bad for a Brit ie rubbish. Instructors have told me privately what they really think of the typical Brit skier which they don't say to them as customers. It is just a practical reality.

Er it might be but I am still completely unclear as to where you get your evidence that people are persistently over rating their skiing or how you can establish this.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So @TTT, you are married to an Brit (Englishman) which gives you a British passport and makes you legally British. This of course explains your northern european(as opposed to British or UK) arrogance that you are right and you are trying to educate the ignorant and xenophobic Brits Toofy Grin .

I would normally reserve the use of the word Tosser for a bloke but I'm happy to apply it to you my dear wink

ps sorry to snowHead s for further drift but this thread had drifted so off piste I'm comfortable with venturing a further ski width away from the marked trail wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TTT wrote:
I find what is nationality an interesting question

To the point of obsession, when it is your only contribution to a discussion on the prevalence of injury for differently shaped/sized skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@TTT,
I have been through this thread anthe only comment that I can find from anyone commenting on their ability as a skier is this.
Quote:

However, a brit holiday skier will say and mean that I'm an impressive skier when I am on my game whereas as instructors and local who know I don't take skiing seriously will say im not too bad for a Brit ie rubbish.

If their is someone who is a little obsessed about their competency or lack of it on skis it does not appear to be the average. snowHead
snow conditions
@laundryman, I think you will find that I agreed with the instructors on the fat ski debate long before the thread digressed - hope you have some good trips with SB.

b]@T Bar[/b], go have a look at the rating systems in the Brit ski shops and the comments on BZK and equipment thread and there are plenty of people giving their advice on SH with limited knowledge. wink

The continued abuse of a foreigner does rjust einforce my point about some Brits though. I just happen to think instructors and good local skiers know more about skiing that holiday skiing Brits. Just serviced my overly narrow skis so I can try and keep up with those evil foreigner on my next trip as i'm more bothered what they think than some Brits without a sense of humour.
snow report
TTT wrote:

The continued abuse of a foreigner…

Get a grip - you're as "foreign" as I am.
snow report
@miranda, Indeed I am as we are all foreign when we are in a another country. I happen to think nationality is more than what happens to be printed on your passport though. I think it should be obvious by now that my views are different to the typical Brit view so the only thing really British about me these days is my standard of skiing wink. You know I am right. You just want to keep in with those SHs but locals are much more fun to ski with Happy
snow report
@TTT, I've gleaned one thing from your wool-gathering on here: your fervour to separate yourself from any association with a British identity is quite uncomfortably desperate, and quite shamefully pretentious.
snow conditions
@Astraeus, what like I'm from yorkshire and meribel? I just want to separate myself from pretentious narrow minded Brits without a sense of humour who get amazingly excited that I have happened to observe Brits using wider skis than are ideal for what they are doing and that I happen to agree with the views of instructors and locals. Surreal how seriously people take themselves on an Internet forum.
snow report
miranda wrote:
TTT wrote:
A little rude and presumptions to make such accusations

I have few qualms about suggesting you go look up the symptoms of narcissistic personalty disorder.

Stockholm syndrome.
ski holidays
@TTT, no? That would be the precise opposite of how you're coming across. The fact that I retained South Yorkshire in my location in spite of, at the time, living in Meribel, is completely inverse to what you're doing.

What you've done is not only observe a selection of Brits using inappropriate-fitting skis but you've then broadly applied a stereotype, refused to engage in meaningful discussion about the incomprehension of your stereotype and justified your views by suggesting they are backed up by an entourage of people with whom you more closely associate yourself, none of whom has actively supported you in your assertion. As I say, it appears your motivation is more to distance yourself from what you consider to be the ignorant hordes of British holidaymakers than provide genuine commentary on those who ski with inappropriate equipment. In that endeavour, you have succeeded though it warrants no plaudit.

Oh, you're also failing to understand that, generally, SHs have a brilliant sense of humour. It's only that intractable ignorance doesn't exactly lend itself well to irreverent gaiety. rolling eyes
snow report
TTT wrote:
go have a look at the rating systems in the Brit ski shops

Why? When snowHeads have their own Laughing
snow conditions
@davidof, Happy like it. I did try to change them!
snow conditions
@Astraeus, are you for real?
ski holidays
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
Do I detect a slight drift in this thread. snowHead

Slight? More like a belligerently intolerant obstinate oozing of one person's racist opinions of the British nation that are tainted with a twisted irony that makes me laugh with incredulity at every post he/she makes.

TTT wrote:
The continued abuse of a foreigner does rjust einforce my point about some Brits though.

I'm a foreignor. Born, bred and raised in the southern-most country before Antarctica by parents of Norwgian and Scottish blood. I have never been abused on/by snowHeads (whether British or not) in the 7 years I've been a member. If you have suffered any kind of abuse on this forum, I sincerely doubt it's because of your self-confessed foreigness.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 15-02-15 20:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Zero_G, now that I had to Google. South Georgia or Chile?
snow conditions
Astraeus, I admit, it was hyperbole – was just getting into the swing the tone set by TTT. Cape Town, actually (and, yes, it's a country... wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zero_G, far more attractive a proposition than either of my suggestions!

Had a fascinating conversation with an Asda call centre operator after my delivery failed to turn up during last month's snowfall. Turns out their call centre ops are based in Capetown and he spent 75% of the call enlightening me as to the sights and sounds and the need for me to visit. If I had the money... rolling eyes Smile
snow conditions
@Zero_G, the frenzied mob on here is hilarious if not a little sad.

More seriously in reality while skiing I have had to put up with racist abuse from Brits as well as a lot of ignorance and xenophobia from Brits to foreigners. You may think that is acceptable. I think it is disgusting and unacceptable. As I've said most are fine but there is a significant minority who need to look at their attitude to foreigners and no it is just not Brits. It's shocking that some people seem to think this sort of behaviour is acceptable and yes you do see these attitudes on SHs.It is shameful.
ski holidays
Have we wandered off topic Puzzled
snow report
TTT wrote:
@laundryman, I think you will find that I agreed with the instructors on the fat ski debate long before the thread digressed

Your very first word on this thread was "Brits". And utterly irrelevant it was too.

By the way, I own slalom skis. The only times I've used fat skis have been on the advice (to the point of compulsion) of local instructors and guides. A Frenchman in Montgenèvre and Canadians in Whistler. Good advice it was too, in the circumstances.
snow report
@red 27, sorry! Just had a number of very bad experiences with some Brits! Really shocked by the attitudes of many Brits while skiing is this day and age.
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
@Dav, you could not be further from the truth. Clearly you have no experience of seeing the attitudes of some Brits from the perspective of a local who speaks the language. I am British. I see it for what it is good and bad. I've seen and heard some really despicable behaviour from Brits while skiing. These are facts. Deal with the reality.

Quote:
@miranda, because I am! Legally yes I do have a British passport but that is as far as it goes.

1 day you're British, next day you're not British... Both days you're a liar?

What's more astounding and laughable apart from the raging hypocrisy is this is based on ONE bus load of people, haha so much for not being narrow minded. Smile

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 15-02-15 21:06; edited 3 times in total
latest report
@laundryman, it was an observation. Bus load of brits - everyone over 80. 2 buses of locals all under 80. That is what I saw. I suspect the impact of local race culture and marketing. Quite why people get their knickers in a twist about the width of a ski used by a nationality yet vehemently deny that there is any problem with nationalistic behaviour amongst some Brits is very odd.
snow report
There is obviouisly a greater force required to get them on edge you can feel this easily if your alignment is off. How this causes any or more injuries I have no idea. Injuries are likely caused by leverage in the opposite plane, the ones the binding release in. Sounds like more click-bait 'scientific' sensationalism.
ski holidays
Astraeus wrote:
Capetown
Cape Town. Two words. Get it right, mister wink Toofy Grin
It's truly beautiful... like the Côte d'Azur on the tip of Africa. Fantastic surfing too! Now, that's thread drift...
latest report
Quote:
Quite why people get their knickers in a twist about the width of a ski used by a nationality yet vehemently deny that there is any problem with nationalistic behaviour amongst some Brits is very odd.

@TTT, because nationality is irrelevant. Assuming there is a link between width of ski and injury (I can see there might well be), I'll reach for my skis and not my passport to assess my personal risk.

You could always start your own thread on negative national stereotypes and see if anyone joins in.
latest report
@geeo, I've explained I've a British passport so legally British and have some British background so I can relate to British views but in practice spent my life living and working internationally and have effectively gone native to be honest so other than passport which will change if UK leaves EU then I'm effectively not British anymore and have no plans to ever return to a country without skiing. The truth is a little more complex but good try.
snow conditions
@TTT, apology accepted.

I can't think why you've had such bad experiences as you come across as very funny.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy