Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are wider skis on piste leading to more injuries?

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
@Mike Pow, why would you ever want to be on it? Might as well be on piste Twisted Evil

Kinda like asking would you rather be walking on the coral reef on the seabed or floating on top of the wave above it. Sure you might get wetter walking on the bottom, but which is more fun? NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not aimed at anyone in particular, TTT, but that's the nature of forums. Many folk just believe what they want to believe. They're often the ones who favour absolutes, and making short, trite statements denying someone else's or advocating their own, point of view. If they realise they might be 'wrong', they either won't return to the discussion, or will argue that white is black. And many of us are fond of sweeping generalisations too. wink Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@miranda, to clarify think I said I don't particularly like skiing not that I dislike skiing. The reason is not good skiers who know what they are talking about but coming into contact with narrow minded brits does take the pleasure out of skiing for me. Best avoided.. A SCGB or SB holiday would be my idea of hell. There are plenty of good fun people to ski with of all nationalities and abilities including brits. The people I ski with are far more important to me than the skiing itself.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
T Bar wrote:
Scarpa wrote:
I have to admit that I have had so much fun on my 120mm Bents this season, they even carve OK on blue pistes with a 19mm turn radius

That is a seriously tight turn Shocked

Oooops. Must be ultra slalom skis hehehe.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@TTT,
If you wish a more broad minded kind of a holiday may I suggest

Www.mon-chalet.com
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@TTT, you actually said (word for word): "I don't even like skiing." What did not come to light then was that it was contact with narrow minded brits that took the pleasure out of it for you, which is why you would not join in on an SH bash/TO holiday (presumably you mean a British one)/SCGB trip.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@moffatross, agreed. Really not a fan of dogma but generalisations are just that and I find there is normally some truth in stereotypes. Woe betide those who dare suggest on SHs that the French may have a valid point of view. It is the narrow minded who lose out at the end of the day. Change and difference are outside their comfort zone. It is the antithesis of what skiing is for me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, I just don't see the point of having skis wide enough that you might as well be on piste.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, but there's no such thing so we're all going to be okay. Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@miranda, I was not aware that what I do say would be taken down and used as evidence against me Happy. I do not recall giving my reasons at the time but yes that was the reason and my views have been coloured by some obnoxious brits. I did admit the 10cc song reference was a very perceptive call just the wrong song. Sometimes obnoxious people I have to deal with, injuries and poor performance mean I don't enjoy skiing and skiing regularly is not always the same thrill as when I was holiday skiing. Sometimes good company and I'm on my game and I do love it.

I just see the vast majority on the slopes during the holiday period skidding around out of balance. They look like they are having fun but I some how doubt that they are having what I can only describe as the wow sensation of really ripping say a carved turn as you see very few people really carving. I think overly fat skis for what they are doing are a contributory factor. I think it would be good if more people had the sensation of skiing as opposed to being on skis and it is a little sad that some people aren't interested in hearing another perspective that may help them feel those sensations. Apologies for wanting people to have more fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@T Bar, Happy somehow I suspected would need to use another computer before checking that link and there was me naively thinking Brits went all the way to Colorado for the powder. You can certainly learn some things on this forum even if you are supposedly important.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@clarky999, I just don't see the point of having skis wide enough that you might as well be on piste.

Big difference in feel between floating on something not solid and standing on something solid.

But we've done this before wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, can never repeat a good (and pointless) argument enough
snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TTT, A lot of holiday skiers would skid no matter what ski they were on. They just enjoy pottering about and enjoying the mountain atmosphere Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bounce or surf,
now choose your turf!!!
snow report
@under a new name, haha true!
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
Apologies

Well you have been quite rude but, hey, it's snowHeads so… accepted snowHead
snow report
@Scarpa, absolutely and nothing wrong with that. Presumably some people buy and rent skis which will help them improve as well though. When you see a bus load of brits all with skis wider than ideal you do wonder if the ski industry is doing punters any favours. Another generalisation but we do all tend to fall for marketing and advertising otherwise these industries would not be so big.
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
@Scarpa, absolutely and nothing wrong with that. Presumably some people buy and rent skis which will help them improve as well though. When you see a bus load of brits all with skis wider than ideal you do wonder if the ski industry is doing punters any favours. Another generalisation but we do all tend to fall for marketing and advertising otherwise these industries would not be so big.

To be fair, you're getting pretty good at those.
latest report
@miranda, Happy I may be guilty of a little fishing at times. Internet and reality are not always the same.
snow report
They are the same it's just people let a little anonymity go to their heads.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19 Wink

Also wow, that comic is nearly a decade old!
snow conditions
There was a thing last week where some folks using wider skis on piste then complained about not having the right gear on.
latest report
TTT wrote:
@miranda, Happy I may be guilty of a little fishing at times. Internet and reality are not always the same.

That's actually one of the sadder things I've read online. That there are people who admit to posting on forums for no other reason than "fishing" and "getting a few bites".

Behaviour I'd expect of a 12 year old, to be fair.

Not to be too disparaging if you are actually 12, by the way TTT (just in case you are 12). There's nothing wrong with being 12 in itself, of course.
snow conditions
@Dav, generalisations are just that. Things which are generally but not universally true. What do you expect a few hundred page caveated study on an internet forum?Ii'm only relaying generally accepted wisdom from experts and what I see on the slopes. I have always openly admitted that I use more colourful language for emphasis but that does not change the underlying truth. Yes I mock the narrow minded. I tease people and advise people against using too fat skis for what they are doing in the real world as well. Most people are intelligent enough and have enough of a sense of humour to take it as it is intended. It seems some people aren't. I know my views don't sit comfortably with some but then I have to regularly put up with and apologise for the offensive views of some Brits. I have plenty of invites to ski with some great intelligent funny people so really not bothered about the views of some small minded Brits.
latest report
@TTT, you could make the same points with a bit more grace, IMHO. Unless your purpose is to wind people up rather than have a respectful discussion, in which case please ignore me and carry on as usual.
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
...so really not bothered about the views of some small minded Brits.

You just can't stop with the generalisations, can you?!!##

Laughing Laughing

Does "small minded" in your world mean "people disagreeing with you"?

Perhaps we have different experiences though. Fortunately, of all of my time spent holidaying, working and living in the Alps, I have never met anyone as overt in their disdain of anyone of any particular nationality as you like to portray on here.

Good "fishing" there though, if that's what you were trying to do. Did I bite hard enough? rolling eyes
latest report
thanks @rob@rar, I could but I suspect that there is some SB history going on here. I suspect you have also seen some of the stuff on FB and he has some really unpleasant associates and they say judge people by their friends. Also I have really have had to deal with a lot of obnoxious narrow minded Brits so my views are somewhat coloured by some bad experiences with some very unpleasant Brits whose views are echoed on here by some which really put me off skiing. I'm also not thinking of running for office and not looking for any diplomatic awards. I treat people with the respect they deserve and there are some people who really deserve no respect for their bigoted views. If you have been on the end of bigotry and racism then you would understand. Lesson is be careful who you end up skiing with and avoid places frequented by drunken racist Brits. As to substance I agree exactly with what you more diplomatically wrote.
latest report
All this interest in fat skis and superfat skis.

It is all just marketing hype give it a few more years and the tens of thousands of monoskis sat in warehouses across Europe will be paired up and sold as the latset super dupper fatty powder whackers Laughing

Skiing powder is not skiing unless you have to use a snorkel NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dav, I said some and by some I mean some not all by any means! Some of the xenophobic and racist Brit behavour I have had to deal with fully deserves all the disdain it gets and I see these narrow minded views echoed on SHs. I don't find it acceptable anywhere. Appreciate we may well have had totally different experiences which inform our views.
snow report
Could we not get the National Lottery to promote/advertise powder skiing ?

"You have to be in it to love it" snowHead
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
thanks @rob@rar, I could but I suspect that there is some SB history going on here. I suspect you have also seen some of the stuff on FB and he has some really unpleasant associates and they say judge people by their friends.
I'm genuinely trying to understand the link between a discussion of fat skis and Simon Butler. But I've failed to find any link whatsoever. Maybe I'm just stupid.

TTT wrote:
Also I have really have had to deal with a lot of obnoxious narrow minded Brits so my views are somewhat coloured by some bad experiences with some very unpleasant Brits whose views are echoed on here by some which really put me off skiing. I'm also not thinking of running for office and not looking for any diplomatic awards.
I'd assumed that you making the effort to put forward your views was in order to try and persuade people by way of discussion, but if you're not thinking of running for office or being diplomatic maybe you have a different purpose in mind?

TTT wrote:
I treat people with the respect they deserve and there are some people who really deserve no respect for their bigoted views. If you have been on the end of bigotry and racism then you would understand. Lesson is be careful who you end up skiing with and avoid places frequented by drunken racist Brits. As to substance I agree exactly with what you more diplomatically wrote.
As you can see from my post count, I've been a member of this forum for a long (and active) time. I've also met and skied with many members of the forum, well in to the hundreds. I've yet to meet anyone via snowHeads who I consider racist or bigoted, and as far as I'm aware only one person has expressed openly racist views (and he was banned). Maybe you're seeing things that just aren't there?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 22:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@speed098, back on topic I suspect that is indeed an element of what is happening here which is all I'm really saying on this particular topic so not quite not sure why it causes such excitement. Another of my supposed terrible generaliastions but the ski industry is in the business to make money.
latest report
@rob@rar, although most of us will not have anything to do with the Welsh
snow report
@Mosha Marc, you'll notice I live in London when I'm not in the mountains...

wink
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
@rob@rar, although most of us will not have anything to do with the Welsh

That's not racism, that's just common sense Smile
snow conditions
Scarpa wrote:

For those who are of the opinion that fat skis are just a crutch, lets see you doing 360s off drops, taking off switch , high speed long turns and buttering mounds with a slim ski.

We have a winner Smile

The sponsored skiers are skiing so fast and dynamically that they can get deep on doors mounted with bindings.

The pics and vids you see are taken in 'powder meccas' or cat/heli operations.

They need the platform to land the jumps they do.

The average recreational skier doesn't need the same tool IMHO.

They'd be better off with a ski 125-135mm in the tip and somewhere between 75-85 mm underfoot.

This profile will serve them better on a larger variety of terrain in most snow conditions.

Quote:
IMHO using a slim ski off piste tends to limit most people to short bouncy turns.

Depends on the powder.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, I suspect some of the comments directed at myself relate back to my comments on SB/French. I would like people to maybe stop and think again but I agree with the person who wrote some people are too stuck in their views. I'm afraid I have had numerous bad experiences with Brits including whilst skiing. Certainly a lot of views on here are xenophobic and I regularly have to aplogise for the behaviour of Brits in my work. I don't think there is any overt racist comments on SH but certainly some views echo the views of people who are indeed bigoted and racist. I work internationally so have to deal with cultural issues all the time and I can assure you when you have lived and worked abroard that some of the attitudes I have seen expressed here, whilst skiing and whilst working are really considered offensive to people when seen from the other side of the fence. Geography and lack of language skills by Brits do mean Brits are not even aware of the offense they are causing sometimes. It is indeed only some. Most are good and Brits are not the worst in my experience. You only have to look at the popularity of my old favourites UKIP and the Daily Mail though to realise it really isn't a problem that is not there.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@Mike Pow, why would you ever want to be on it? Might as well be on piste Twisted Evil

Kinda like asking would you rather be walking on the coral reef on the seabed or floating on top of the wave above it. Sure you might get wetter walking on the bottom, but which is more fun? NehNeh

If you're balanced and you're skiing fast enough you can do both on a narrower platform underfoot.

It's a little harder to go diving on a wider waisted ski Smile
snow conditions
TTT wrote:
@rob@rar, I suspect some of the comments directed at myself relate back to my comments on SB/French.
I very much doubt that. There is not the obsession with SB that I think you believe there is.
TTT wrote:
I would like people to maybe stop and think again but I agree with the person who wrote some people are too stuck in their views. I'm afraid I have had numerous bad experiences with Brits including whilst skiing. Certainly a lot of views on here are xenophobic
Well, I'm not so sure about that, but if there are pushing back by being equally xenophobic doesn't seem like an entirely sensible way to counter it, no?
TTT wrote:
... and I regularly have to aplogise for the behaviour of Brits in my work. I don't think there is any overt racist comments on SH but certainly some views echo the views of people who are indeed bigoted and racist. I work internationally so have to deal with cultural issues all the time and I can assure you when you have lived and worked abroard that some of the attitudes I have seen expressed here, whilst skiing and whilst working are really considered offensive to people when seen from the other side of the fence.
So maybe a little broader experience to help enlighten us insensitive thickos would be the polite thing to do...? Rather than committing the same "crimes" but in reverse. Unless your intention is not to contribute, just to wind up...?
ski holidays
TTT wrote:
some people are too stuck in their views.

Certainly a lot of views on here are xenophobic.

Certainly some views echo the views of people who are indeed bigoted and racist.

You may not realise it, or care, but you've just described yourself perfectly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy