Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in New Zealand - finding work when starting a bit later

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'd be grateful for your collective wisdom: I'll be travelling to NZ for a tour with my choir in July and am considering staying on to work for the season. I'll only be free though from mid-July (though I could probably cut a few days off my tour if I had to...) so am wondering if that means I'll find it much harder to find work given the season starts in mid/late June.

Has anyone worked a season in NZ and if so could share some insight?

Also, for anyone who's worked a season in NZ, could you recommend the better resorts to aim for? I've been doing some research myself but would be keen to hear what others have to say. Any other general tips on working an NZ season would also be much appreciated!

Thanks! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @Sheamie.

Welcome to snowheads.

I havent worked a season here but know some people in the industry and could ask around for you. It would help if you could narrow down what you would like to do, what you are qualified to do and what experience you have (could all be very different), e.g. instructor , lifty, chalet person etc....

My experience as a skier on the main and only real commercial ski area in the North Island fields (run by the same management company) might help set the scene and is in this thread,

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=115286&highlight=

They employ many locals and overseas staff. Have had lessons from a kiwi, an Austrian, an American, a Frenchman and a Canadian there.

You should contact the local field directly to get it from the horses mouth, see their website in my trip review but there may not be anyone there looking after the ski side until closer the time.

Something to look into if you were to seek/get work on the Ruapehu fields is that they do close often for a full days due to weather and if you were employed on a casual basis then you might not get paid for many days in the season, and several days in succession. So check on the terms of employment and if this is the case then look to have the resources to plug any gap.

Also try the local forums,for instance snow.co.nz

Cheers
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get on it quickly as it looks like they do the hiring NOW. I would think you would be ok if you are up front about it as June is early season for them so they will not be at full speed. They may even like it as it gives them the benefit of not having to pay you whilst they are quiet.

However, finding digs could be tricky so think on that early too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks @ster - that's really helpful, in terms of finding work, there are two main categories that would be my top preferences best I think:

1) I have experience in office admin/operations type work (used to work in HR), and also have lots of customer-facing retail experience so I would be very happy with an admin role or customer relations/rep role. I've also just seen a HR role advertised for Mt Ruapehu so will be applying for that!
2) Being Irish I have also pulled the odd pint in my time, and have some cafe and hotel experience so would be very happy with bar, cafe, waiter or chalet work.

That said I'll be happy to find any type of decent work, though I'm not a qualified instructor (alas). I'll have a working holiday visa.

If you are able to do some asking around about possibly starting in mid-July and whether that's likely to be an issue for either 1) or 2), that would be hugely appreciated! @Jake43 makes a good point that perhaps this might actually work out better - but I want to avoid booking my flight dates etc only to find there's no work around the fields.

Thanks @Jake43 - also very helpful points!

S
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, they are recruiting now and the best thing to do at the moment (which you seem to be doing ) is to keep an eye on the RAL website. HR jobs are fewer, customer service more so easier (?) to get. Not impossible to get a July start according to source. Apparently their HR are quite good to deal with which mirrors my experience with their customer facing staff.

Seems like there is a min number of hours guaranteed per week (number depends on your role) so you shouldn't go hungry but might have a few lean weeks as one thing is guaranteed here that the fields will close for poor weather.

Shifts are 5 days on/ 2 days off, which 2 days off you get depend again on your seniority.

Many staff live in Turangi for Whakapapa, a further drive to the field (about 45 min) but more of a town with more facilities than National Park Village. The Village is very very small. You should be looking for accommodation sooner rather than later but of course until you get a job its impossible to commit but you will find something.

Of course there are the bars, cafes & restaurants both on the fields and in the accommodation centres but there is no chalet work in the sense of French catered chalets as they dont exist here.

One thing I thought of is to bring as much of your gear with you as you can, as prices here are high and not great choice, especially as you will be around after the start of the season when everyone has probably brought their new gear, once its gone its gone.

I'll continue to ask around and will post if get any more info. Let us know how you go. Good luck
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @ster, thanks so much for the info, that's great to know -I am indeed applying to the various websites as their application periods open. I'll let you know how I get on - If you could keep me in mind as you chat with people that would be so much appreciated!

Thanks
S
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure if you are sorted but I saw this, may not be your thing but keep an eye on the jobs websites, this one and seek.co.nz for roles in the vicinity.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/hospitality-tourism/chefs/listing-871286248.htm
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are looking at the South Island Queenstown and Wanaka would be you best options with lots of non ski related jobs in the towns. Both are busy places over the winter season with lots of hospitality work. Queenstown is the biggest and busiest winter resort town in NZ. Lots of vacancies listed here but most close tomorrow. http://www.nzski.com/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy