Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Fitter in Nice/Isola 2000/Auron?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

I have started learning to ski this year, 4 days so far 2 with 1:1 tuition and am really enjoying it. I live in Nice so can hop up to Isola or Auron easily (Although so far I have only been to Isola, it's officially my comfort zone!)

As I am fortunate enough to live so close to resorts, and partly due to my awkward feet (Short, Flat and Wide- lovely), I am looking to invest in a pair of beginners boots. Are there any recommendations for boot fitters in the area? Feels like a bit of a long shot!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd think you're best off in resort, but don't have any specific recommendations. I wouldn't target "beginners" boots - I'd expect them to be too soft and you'll "grow" out of them too quickly.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The only non resort ski shop I know in the Nice area is in Frejus on the front pretty much where Frejues and St Raphael meet.

http://www.freeride-attitude.com/

Not sure if they have a good bootfitter though, but not far from Nice so may be worth giving them a call or popping in and having a chat.

Second under a new name, comment re not buying beginners boots if you are going to do a lot of skiing, you would need new boots for next year if you bought beginners boots.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not entirely sure who beginner boots are actually designed for. Generally too soft a floppy to be good for any purpose Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
double post!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 11-02-15 17:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe, Instead of "beginners Boots" I should have said "Boots under 200euro" I think that's generally what people mean when they say beginners boots right? Wink

Thanks for the suggestion @speed098, I am off to Isola tomorrow so will have a look in the resort shops there and maybe pay Free Ride a visit next week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@alulacheery, when I was in Go Sport in Annemasse recently they had a lot of boots at reduced prices. Decathlon is worth a visit too, and talk to one of the sales people. For under €200 you can probably find something, if your feet aren't too difficult (Decathlon in Albertville sort their boots into narrow, medium and wide - not rocket science or technical bootfitting but a good start).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alulacheery, not really. They tend to also be wider and softer. Neitegr of which is helpful other than to the sales person who's after an easy commission.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, i went into the 2 places in Isola that sell boots today, they only had 2 pairs suitable for me to try on. Neither did and shell fit and when asked the only boot modifications they offer are heat moulding the liner if necessary - which Decathlon & Go sport also offer. First pair I tried on felt pretty good, I have to say - Rossignol Kiara 80s - but as all they did was measure my feet (in socks) then dump me in the boots I don't exactly feel overwhelmed with confidence!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@alulacheery,
Just remember that the liners will compact with use so a boot that is really comfy in the shop may well feel like wearing wellington boots after a few days of skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@speed098, Yes, that was my intial thought, it felt very snug but I suspect my what I actually need is a 22.5 boot in a 104 last (tiny yet enormously wide feet over here!) and from looking on the internet that narrows down my options considerably. The other pairs I tried were Lange and atomic but only in 100/102 lasts and in both 22.5 and 23.5 were instantly painful around the middle of my foot. I am going to pay a visit to a big box store tomorrow and do a shell fit to see. I was going to ask to do a shell fit in store, but somehow ended up feeling rude so didn't!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Familiar with the local area but not the shops (I get my boarding stuff in the UK), but have you tried heading to Valberg? The resort site suggests they've got quite a few shops there, this place looks like it might be worth a shot?

Isola is my comfort zone too, you've got good taste Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@alulacheery, hop on a cheap flight and get thee to SOLE Bootlab in Chamonix.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@call me dave, No, Still only Isola for me, I've had to make solo trips for my last 3 trips to the mountains so am not brave enough to branch out on my own yet, they are starting to recognise me at the Cow Club for lunch Sad but I am aware I can get the bus from Nice Ville to Valberg also, I was so disappointed with the fittings at Isola, but the one good thing is that the pair I did find to be most comfortable are available to hire from the shop for a days skiing, so will probably do that next, then maybe take a trip to Valberg.

@under a new name, Fingers crossed it won't come to a flight but I have read good things about Sole bootlab on here, that will have to be a last resort/special treat I fear when I get to at least 3 or 4 resorts for 8euros return on the bus Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@alulacheery,

If you do ski at Valberg would be interested in your thoughts about the resort. Have been considering going there with the kids.
snow conditions
@speed098, will do, I can give my very limited opinion on the greens! Fortunately my friends will be able to give you a more rounded view. I'll have an ask as I think a couple of the guys went there occasionally last season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy