Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Holding out for last deals

Poster: A snowHead
This is my first time hanging on til the last to book. Ive got holiday I was keeping back for skiing i need to use by the end of March so was thinking of booking week from 7th off and just seeing what comes up. Would prefer something all included but looking at the cost am starting to consider otherwise, it doesn't seem to be as cheap as I was hoping for. (Still looking around 750/800 each, i know its pretty much peak season.) Fairly open on resort have been looking at La Tania, Sestriere, Morzine as looking for big area where we can guarentee snow and like a bit of atmoshphere but wont be out smashing beers all night everynight.

Does anyone have any advise on where is best to find deals and if I'm just being way too fussy?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will need to wait 'til a few days before, usually they appear on Monday/Tuesday before departure, for the best TO deals...the reason they get discounted is because only a few people are flexible enough to be able to do them...others who want to book a month in advance are likely to pay a higher price to get it sorted. 50% (or more) off brochure price would be a good deal, you'll be getting it for close to cost price. These will likely be just one room left, so only for 2 people. They want groups to book in advance.

If the conditions remain good, there won't be as many deals that week as later in March, as there's more risk of it getting spring-like by then. Of course there's always the chance that everything you might want will be sold out...and you'll only be left with the dregs of accommodation and resort choice.

It's been a while since I did a March late deal, so I can't be too authoritative as to how it might play out this year. One thought I have is that the early season was so bad, quite a few will have put off their trips until Feb or Mar, so availability might get tighter.

You could always DIY if there's a few of you, I posted a good deal on another thread for those dates:

luigi wrote:
@BinkiBelle, Wow, that was a quick change of mind! wink

Just had a quick look...I found Easyjet flights from Liverpool to Grenoble for £41 return on 7-14th Mar...Grenoble car hire with HA from £106 pwk...1 Bed apartment in Vaujany on booking.com (linked to Alpe d'Huez) (less than 60 miles, 90 mins from airport) for £281 for the week...so you could have all that for around £170pp divided 3 ways...costs of hold bags, fuel, food & skiing on top...how cheap do you want it? Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, you're not way too fussy but way too early!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I use web sites that combine many tour operators - alpineanswers, lastminuteskideals, iglu etc etc - when I find a good chalet / deal I google it to see whose it is - then contact them direct and haggle!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dippy, How does that work out for you? What have you haggled in the past? Lots of these guys advertise inghams and ski total (i.e. the same company).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Most of the 'haggling' I have achieved is with the smaller tour operators - (self drive) they tend to be a bit more flexible!
Always travel in Jan and March - avoiding all school hols etc.
Usually have a small group - 5-9 people (ish) so if we have a single/odd one - wont pay a single supp for them.

However - will be looking for complete package (flights transfers catered chalet) for sons for next month - again in quieter weeks.
Have never been unable to find something to suit - always usually plenty of choice.
Just last week advised a friend to keep an eye on alpineaction - she was very happy with her last minute deal!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the responses everyone.

@luigi will just be the two of us so are completely flexible really. I was wondering about the effect the early seasons failings would have.

I seemed to get a really good deal completely by accident last year and now am basing this year on that. But like I say have found deals for approx 700 quid but don't want to risk going too late if the conditions get worse just to save money.

I'll keep an eye on alpine action thanks for all your tips guys
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My boyfriend and I have had awesome time skiing in Slovenia. The ski-center was cool, the hotel staff was very kind and the food was great too. We flew with EasyJet to the Airport Ljubljana, from there on the hotel arranged everything for us. We spent only 370 EUR for the three-days-package for each of us, including all transfer from and to the airport, skiing tickets for three days and also all transfer to and from the ski-center whenever we wanted. Cause we took half-board, we got fresh breakfast and delicious dinner every day. And my baby of course put it over the top: he proposed to me <3
http://youtube.com/v/zSAkeNeL8S0
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tomf05 wrote:
Thanks for the responses everyone.

@luigi will just be the two of us so are completely flexible really. I was wondering about the effect the early seasons failings would have.

I seemed to get a really good deal completely by accident last year and now am basing this year on that. But like I say have found deals for approx 700 quid but don't want to risk going too late if the conditions get worse just to save money.

I'll keep an eye on alpine action thanks for all your tips guys

Every season plays out differently...I've been paying around £300 for low season Jan/early Feb catered chalet deals (flights, transfers, share a twin room, food & wine) in recent years...I've skied Arabba, Zermatt, Lech, La Rosiere...in 2009 Canazei for £215...great value, some booked the week of departure, some a few weeks in advance, keep your eyes peeled and jump on a deal if you see it...prices have been creeping up due to inflation, TO's shrinking operations, pound weakness, but this year it has strengthened!!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just bottled it.

I have been doing dummy bookings with the site everyday for 18 people. (There is only 2 of us)

Today was the 1st time I couldn't complete it flying from manchester.

(I could from LGW).

So it looks like the easyjet flight to LYS is getting full Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@laura011, are you spamming your hotel?!? wink

Or do we all get an invite to that wedding?? Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just got 449 for tignes (actually was 549 plus 100 lift pass). I am sure if only 2 of you and you hold out to last 7 days you will get way beneath 700
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dan100, 100 lift pass? How?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
*highjack*
I'm in the same boat, looking for some deal 21st March - 28th but in all honesty have no idea how to even go about it. Any tips greatfully received, i've been searching the usual TO stuff and laterooms and get a mix of 'crap accom' to 'suite at 22k for a week' somewhere in the middle would be ideal.... (not financially in the middle)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Levi215, you should find plenty of ideas on this thread http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117590&highlight=
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
*highjack*
I'm in the same boat, looking for some deal 21st March - 28th but in all honesty have no idea how to even go about it. Any tips greatfully received, i've been searching the usual TO stuff and laterooms and get a mix of 'crap accom' to 'suite at 22k for a week' somewhere in the middle would be ideal.... (not financially in the middle)

Check on Igluski...chalet deals currently from £400 on there...Google the accommodation name to find out which TO they belong to and then get on the phone and haggle direct, see if they'll do a BOGOF on liftpasses or something.

It might work better if you can hold off booking until the week of departure, the prices usually drop further and you'll know whether and where the snow's still good. That is a slack week as it's late season, but before the final hurrah of the Easter hols, Igluski are advertising 1,620 Chalet holidays in 157 properties for that weekend, let alone any HB, B&B and S/C deals.
snow report
HB hotel deals for 21st starting at £215 to Andorra, £307 to Austria, but watch the snow conditions.
snow report
pam w wrote:

I'm not entirely convinced by this. We have found if we are looking at a specific holiday (or a couple,of them) that 5-6 weeks prior has been the optimum time. Granted I am talking of particular holidays rather than anything, but even looking at anything I think we've always done better those few weeks before. We are in Scotland so less choice of flights I guess may play a part, but we also check put Mcr/Newcastle.

We been watching holidays for a couple of years now (I am talking Crystal here) and they can fluctuate back and forth within days of each other.

Our deal this year £408 ( that includes our Royalties discount) pp for the all inclusive at Grande Claviere from Glasgow. No ski hire pass etc in that, basically a room, half board, afternoon tea thing, packed lunch and a free bar from 4.30 to 10.30.

We go 22nd March, we booked about 3-4 weeks ago. Since then it has went up by over £100pp.
ski holidays
Quote:

and a free bar from 4.30 to 10.30

Presuming they mean pm, that sounds like the definition of frustration - you're just getting going after a nice steady 6 hours drinking and then they start charging for it! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Gilly28 wrote:
pam w wrote:

I'm not entirely convinced by this. We have found if we are looking at a specific holiday (or a couple,of them) that 5-6 weeks prior has been the optimum time. Granted I am talking of particular holidays rather than anything, but even looking at anything I think we've always done better those few weeks before. We are in Scotland so less choice of flights I guess may play a part, but we also check put Mcr/Newcastle.

We been watching holidays for a couple of years now (I am talking Crystal here) and they can fluctuate back and forth within days of each other.

Our deal this year £408 ( that includes our Royalties discount) pp for the all inclusive at Grande Claviere from Glasgow. No ski hire pass etc in that, basically a room, half board, afternoon tea thing, packed lunch and a free bar from 4.30 to 10.30.

We go 22nd March, we booked about 3-4 weeks ago. Since then it has went up by over £100pp.

You're probably right if you are looking for something in a specific resort and need a regional flight. You got a good deal there esp. if you are going to make use of the free bar, I liked Claviere. I remember the Grande, it was the only place showing the footie.

Most last minute deals tend to be from Gatwick or Manchester and you will have to be flexible about resort. 50% off brochure price is a good target.
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Quote:

and a free bar from 4.30 to 10.30

Presuming they mean pm, that sounds like the definition of frustration - you're just getting going after a nice steady 6 hours drinking and then they start charging for it! Evil or Very Mad

Haha, the 7 year old has usually had enough by then!
ski holidays
LOOKING FOR SKI BUDDIES FOR EASTER
Hi all, single intermediate skier, male 28 y/o teacher looking to join a group for 4-7 days. Flexible on where and when over Easter - just really want to go!
If you have any spare spaces or know any top tips that would be amazing thanks Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy