Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Passo Tonale versus Val di Fassa

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all , me and the other half are thinking of having a ski holiday in the April half term and fancy one or the other of above. Have been to Passo before and remember it being ok at the time, but too long ago to really remember if I fancy it again. Me an the missus are in our mid fifties and looking for cruisy/easy blues and reds. Personally I always prefer to try a new place, so I would plump for Val di Fassa. However consulting the piste map it looks a little bit harder to get around than passo..... Any advice on both resorts would be appreciated and very welcome. We are not too bothered about night life or après to be honest, and the resort we are looking at in val di Fassa is Canazei
Thanks all again in advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i think that passo is a little bit better because of high altitude...
but val di fassa is a very good resort. You have many options...especially Moena...my favorite...also from Canazei you gan to Passo Pordoi which is also high...i think Canazei is better...
but when in April? first 10 days or late April?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know Passo Tonale but reviews have left me unenthusiastic. Passed through Canazei last week. I imagine that provided you are near the lift up from Canazei you'd be fine (I don't think you can ski down to Canazei). We took the lift down and caught a bus from Canazei a short way along the valley to Alba, a lovely spot with lots of cruisy blues and reds and quiet, because it's away from the main Sella Ronda area. Once up the cable car from Canazei there's loads of skiing.

That area has a lot more to offer than Passo Tonale, really.

Someone who knows Canazei better will be along soon, I'm sure and can probably comment on how snow sure Canazei is in April. Am a bit puzzled by your reference to "half term" - wouldn't that be Easter hols. Unless you're teachers you'd be better off going earlier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all for the replies...... Yes Pam you are right it is the Easter hols, would like to go earlier but as my partner works in a school it's the only time we can go...... Hopefully get some more info about both resorts before we make a choice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks turms, looking at the 4 of April, hoping snow will still be good
Also think that there is a glacier at passo?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
it is possible to ski down to canazei, but possibly not in April, and the piste kind of runs out a bit of a walk from the main road / bus stop, and iirc not right by the gondola. depending on where the hotel is it may or may not be convenient. for those elsewhere on the sella ronda linking in to val di fassa for a day (ie Alba - Pozza), i'd go down the gondola in future, but it was fun descending what is basically a road in untracked powder.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check when lifts close but Canazei and Campitello are great. Lift linked to the Sella Ronda, decent ski buses but major issue would be timing as it's pretty late in the season for lifts rather than snow...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kabby, according to the dolomitisuperski website the season ends on the 12th April but there is the following note

1 The end of season date may vary in some valleys. We cannot guarantee that all lifts will be functioning until the end of the season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe somewhere to book at the last moment rather than in advance, that late?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all so much for taking the time to reply, appreciate all your comments and advice, maybe better to hold fire till nearer the dates....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can anyone tell me how these 2 resorts compare in terms of nightlife? My friend is keen on Passo for the high altitude and being snowsure. I think it will be a bit quiet apres-wise.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want that region, high and nightlife then Livingo would be the obvious choice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lanewalk, Canazei has a few bars. It's no Ischgl, but the Rosegarten is quite popular and there are one or two others I think. The skiing in the Canazei bowls is quite high and pretty snow sure, unless you are planning to go very late season. You can use the gondola if you're unable to ski all the way back down, but generally piste management is good and the runs will be open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apres is very quiet and skiing in Tonale is limited in April as the run to Ponte di Legno might be closed. If you're looking for a change and...
Quote:
looking for cruisy/easy blues and reds

... why not try Cervinia. High altitude, glacier skiing and the chance to ski in Zermatt. Also a livelier apres scene than both Tonale and Fassa.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wouldn't bother with either. Passo is dead. For access to the Sella Ronda, spend a little more and either stay in the Val Gardena valley, or maybe Arabba. It'll be well worth a little extra. Val Di Fassa is worth checking out, but the other's are way better as a base.
ski holidays
Thanks very much for the information. You have confirmed my concerns about the aprés in Passo so my friend and I have decided to go for Alpe d'huez.
snow conditions
I have been looking at these two resorts also and maybe some of you can answer my questions as my research of the area leaves me puzzled at times. I have skiied Austria, Italy (alps) and France and particularly like ski welt and milky way areas due to their huge linked areas as I enjoy setting off in the morning and aiming for somewhere to lunch and then ski back before doing a different route the next day.

At the moment i will be going away with my two teenage boys (16) and (13) as OH is staying at home with new baby. leaving 19th or 20th March. Really trying to work out how much of the sella ronda is linked as not really wanting to get buses. Also considering catered chalet in ADH or L2A as no the areas well. Any advice appreciated
snow conditions
For cruisy blues and reds, Alta Badia is really good, as is Civetta above Alleghe and over into Zoldo. I've not been yet but Falcade looks nice too and ass someone else suggested Alba over to Pozza di Fassa is lots of fun. How good the snow will be is anyones guess - I believe both are about the same height. The beauty of the Dolomites is that it's very interconnected - if there's not a lift there's generally a link bus or taxi service. For example from our place you could ski more or less interuppted to the end of Alpi di Suisi (although getting there and back might be more of an issue in a day rolling eyes If you want a bit of info about the various areas, take a look here as I've written some general guidance on most of the areas, although I still have to do a few areas: http://www.casa-alfredino.co.uk/skiing-information/ Dolomiti Superski is the largest area covered in one ski pass. If you're happy to do a 20-30 minute drive in the morning you can easily never need to ski the same area twice. The pass is cheaper than elsewhere, the huts and food are generally excellent and good value and the pistes are kept extremely well, far better than anywhere else I've skied. The only question is how much snow there will be and as I say that's anybodies guess! We're in a small quiet village away from the slopes but the advantage is you can get to Marmolada in 5 minutes (and from there Arabba in one lift) and Alleghe/Civetta in 10 minutes and you're centrally located to get to nearly all the areas. Even Cortina is only 45 minutes away which is pretty much the furthest you'd want to go!
snow report
@mikeelsa, If you like Skiwelt & Milky Way you will love Sella Ronda, we have done all 3 but Sella has the most varied choice of runs/days out. If you pick accommodation near a lift on the Sella Ronda Then you can ski 400km of piste using the main Sella route to get to the area you fancy each day & the only bus we use all week is to the Hidden Valley ( well recommended). Our base of choice is Selva 1st & Arabba 2nd but anywhere near Sella would do.
snow report
Tonale is high, snowsure but the easier slopes are south facing. The north facing bit is very steep.

The Main Dolomites ski area far bigger, prettier, classier and with far more skiing. They are also generally lower so not so great at Easter.
snow report
My memories of Passo is that it was a very limited ski area with not a massive choice of blues but still an enjoyable trip. Stayed at Grand Paradiso which was a lovely hotel.
snow conditions
I loved passo but i was a complete beginner and thats what id say its best for. Its got a cool snowpark in the middle for jumps, ramps etc and it does night skiing twice a week. Night life, i dont think there is much but im so tired after skiing all day, after dinner i go to bed. For price it was excellent value. I had a right good time anyway, i wont be going back this year as i covered every single run except the glaciers and want to experience something new.
snow conditions
nice advice Casa and gives me a better idea of what the sella ronda is all about. i like the sound of it. Budget is also an issue with a new baby in the new house and looking to spend £2900 for the three of us half board with passes so arabba and selva might not be an option.
ski holidays
had a quick look might manage selva, arabba looking out the price budget
ski holidays
@mikeelsa, I've got a guide to Val Gardena in the works and will do a blog about the Sellaronda too at some point soon. Just go to get around to it! Alas our place you have to drive to get to the slopes but it's pretty ideal to get to lots of different places quickley which is why I bought it - well that and the ice climbing Toofy Grin Then hopefully around christmas I'll get a chance to ski Falcade and Falzarego and the other bits of Civetta to fill in the gaps. Its a huge area and if you can bear a 20 minute drive in the morning you really can ski something new every day...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy