Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney la Trinite-Review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a review of an exceptionally good weeks skiing

Resort-Gressoney La Trinite

Country-Italy

Domain-Monte Rosa

Basics Wanted to attend a Snoworks Backcountry course which involves a combo of using instructors and guides over 5 full days then a free ski day at the end if you want longer.

Who? Solo trip, all sorted DIY. Snoworks offered to arrange accommodation and whilst the hotel looked and was really nice looking it was just a bit pricey/good for me travelling solo I don't want or need much!

When? 31/1/15 to 8/2/15

Accommodation For the princely sum of 400 Euro I stayed in a B&B.

Lift-System My only real gripe about the area. The 2 main lifts out of La Trinite are 2 man sloooooow chairs and at times could be tedious. Otherwise perfectly fine with a blend of gondolas, telecabines and faster chairs.

Snow Arrived to sunny but cold weather I believe there'd been a bit of snow that previous week but nothing on the levels that parts of France were getting. Then it snowed A LOT! It was pretty special really, I've never skied that depth of snow and skiing trees in up to 5 foot plus of powder was awesome. The week ended with a sunny yet busy day.

Terrain The immediate area is Blacks and Reds and some of the reds have steep pitches but had tracks to miss out the steep bits. I believe Champoluc has the most variety to offer. The run down to Alagna is long and a real thigh burner. Skiing up and down into the different areas on piste gives you that sense of travel which I like from piste skiing if you fancy a day out clocking up some mileage.

Off piste This is what brought me to the area I'm not a hard-core off piste skier but looking to develop. Earlier in the week when the weather allowed we did some of the well known off piste routes, I can't remember all the names of all the routes or couloirs we skied but remember Ghecheti, Leisch Canyon, Malfata? and Bettaforca? Then when the snow came in we stuck to doing laps of the trees just above Gressoeny La Trinite and were still putting fresh tracks down at 1600hrs. My face was hurting from having a huge grin on my face all day......

The Resort La Trinite is a small collection of accommodation, but around what seems to be an old traditional village (evident from the church). There are a couple of bars and restaurants. Those who want banging apres need not apply! We'd end our days in one of the huts on the mountain for apres beers and plates of Italian, meats and cheeses provided when you were drinking. I'd return but possibly choose Stafal as a base. It's as quiet but IMO the link to the area better.

Conclusion Probably my best week on skis-the snow of course may have given me rose tinted spectacles! However it's something of a Goldilocks resort for me, quiet on piste (minus sunny weekends), new snow doesn't track out quickly, high picturesque mountain scenery, great food and value eateries with a friendly Italian welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Bene, now added to my 'must ski' list
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bene, sounds great. It might be useful if you could add some thoughts on the course, and the level of skiing required - which would be of interest to quite a few people. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was amazed at how quiet, good, cheap and uncrowded MonteRosa was.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, Ah yes I thought about maybe doing a separate review but I shall add it here.

Course Review

I've done a half day courses with Snoworks previously. The backcountry course appealed as it's full days so as a solo skier I was happy to have others of a similar level to ski with through the day then crash at night.

In total it was 2.5 days of instruction and 2.5 with a mountain guide. The time spent with the instructor was spent skiing off piste but also working on technique to tackle steeps, powder, and trees.

I've not done a great deal of skiing I think around 10 weeks now or much off piste. There were much technically better skiers than me on the course. However I'm fit and psychically strong and willing to listen and have a go! The groupings depend on the ability of the skiers on any given course i.e. on one week you might fall into a lower or higher group than you normally might. I was in group 4 for lessons and 5 for the guiding, generally compared to the half day courses I'd done there were a lot of strong and experienced skiers-no doubt attracted by the off piste nature of the course.

Info on levels here: http://www.snoworks.co.uk/levels.asp

Which group you're in is down to numbers and your personal aspirations. The terrain wasn't necessarily any more difficult as you moved up groups (In some cases it was) rather just the speed at which we were going. A first was a drop out due to not being up to scratch/the required level. In this environment I felt for the guy but the needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few (one) and the instructors/guides just didn't feel comfortable they could be taken into the sort of terrain in safety. Fair enough I thought. A couple of older chaps who would ski me off the mountain also retired earlier some days when there was an opportunity for an 'out'.

My guided group was perfectly balanced, as we all seemed to fall as much as each other! But went at a comfortable pace for everyone. The instruction is top notch, and for anyone who has skied with SW's before it's more about 'ski philosophies' rather than demonstrating various techniques. It works for me, I've not had huge amounts of formal tuition but let me loose and I can get down a variety of terrain, in variable conditions, as I've been taught how to control my speed and react to what's under my skis. Some people have aspirations to be instructors, I'd probably struggle to demonstrate good and proper technique but for me I just want to be able to enjoy more of the mountain and feel I'm on the right track.

Our guide was Chamonix based and knew the area well. I really, really, enjoyed this element of the course. As I've found as a novice, Off piste isn't necessarily scary or difficult but requires a different mental and physical approach with someone who knows the area and can read the conditions, and ultimately keep you safe. That's not to say we didn't do some hair raising stuff! This was once the guide had seen us ski and felt confident enough our skiing was up to it. I always thought guiding was for really good skiers only. What this format allows you to do is experience guiding but with others of a similar level our group inc me was only 4.

Overall the course was awesome. There are a couple of providers out there that offer similar set ups but I'll be sticking with Snoworks, as a solo skier I feel very at ease with them, plus they offer a wide variety of courses and locations. They have backcountry in St Anton, Courmayeur and 3V's in addition to Gressoney as well as adventure trips to Japan, NZ, South America, and currently a trip going on in Turkey. There's plans to add Iran to the itinerary next season too. Another thing to add for me is as well as improving my skiing it's as much about the experience.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy