Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid April skiing-short list of destinations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My wife and I are looking at doing a week long trip on the 11/12th of April, either DIY or with on a package-whichever works out best.

If we DIY I'd be looking to book the flights ASAP as they tend to only go up in price. We want this to be a holiday, with skiing being the focus but also nice accommodation with good facilities, my partner particularly likes skiing in Austria, not top of the list if we get nice accommodation but an attractive base would also be desirable . We could rent a car and stay in a location where we could access a number of areas but to but brutally honest don't much fancy getting up and driving every day. I'm pulling together a short list of places that should be reasonably snow sure or at least still open, and if DIY could book some of these places which are fully refundable if the conditions deteriorate.

My wife is a pretty solid intermediate, and has done limited off piste. She's confident on any pisted run but prefers long challenging preferably uncrowded red runs! I'm reasonably advanced as per the Mrs happy on anything on piste, done quite a bit of off piste-enjoy touring too.

Val Thorens. An obvious choice if the conditions are good a lot of the other valleys should still be accessible? New Club hotel has a decent deal on, considering it's AI, and includes a lift pass and tuition seems good value. I've only been to the 3V once being based in VT at the start of April, it was warm and sunny all week, on piste was great but off piste was baked.

Cervinia. Not been and the resort seems to lack the typical charm I've come to associate skiing in Italy with, but it's high and is linked to Zermatt which I've not skied and always wanted to. Reasonably big area when factoring in Zermatt.

Obergurgl. Not been but for being non-glacial is very snow sure. 110KM of pistes and access to Solden for a day gives plenty for a week.

Obertauern-It's high and it's in Austria and that's about all I know!

Finkenburg. An instructor I recently skied with recently made this recommendation, charming little area with access to a large ski area according to him. I assume Mayrhofen is reasonably OK at this time of year?

EK. Been before but only based in Tignes.

Ischgl. Not been but seems to tick all the boxes for skiing at this time of the season?

Any others I should add to the list/dismiss?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there- biased but Chamonix- April skiing usually lovely in La Tour/Grand Montets- also having a car makes life much easier-plenty of non-skiing activities given that it is a proper town & lots of resorts within an hour incl Italy/Switzerland.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bene wrote:
Val Thorens. An obvious choice if the conditions are good a lot of the other valleys should still be accessible?

All the other valleys finish 24th April, obviously the links opening are dependent on snow cover/conditions.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not aware of places that are "fully refundable" Puzzled

Book the flights and car/transfer now. Then a week before find accomodation according to conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, Plenty of places you can book now with no cancellation charge-T&C's apply but certainly a weeks notice for no charge or even 24hrs isn't uncommon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Add the Arlberg to your list, been the past 5 Aprils and always had top to bottom skiing, despite two very lean years in the alps...

http://greghilton.co.uk/easter-skiing-at-stuben/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les 2 Alpes, even if spring arrives early you have glacier skiing right up to 3600m
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 to L2A; far more extensive high-altitude skiing than most resorts, and very easy to download if the lower slopes are horrible. And if conditions are right you can have a day at La Grave!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bene, Davos
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Paradiski would be worth adding to your list. It's got two glaciers (on in La Plagne and one in Les Arcs) so it's a good end of season choice and it's open for another week after your holiday so still very likely to be in good condition . . .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bene wrote:

Finkenburg. An instructor I recently skied with recently made this recommendation, charming little area with access to a large ski area according to him. I assume Mayrhofen is reasonably OK at this time of year?

Cheers

Mayrhofen/Finkenberg plans to close on 12th April, so likely OK for Easter, but not later.

http://www.mayrhofen.at/en/101008/101009/101016/Ski-pass-prices.html

He must be referring to the extensive Hintertux Glacier at the end of the valley, which according to this is open all year...

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/skiing/opening-hours.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@luigi, For some reason Da Hoff is closing early this year, we were still riding powder on Easter Sunday (20th April) last year.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bene, book flights to Geneva. Gives you loads of options.

Chamonix f'rinstance with the MBU pass gives includes days in Courmayeur, Verbier and "Evasion Mont Blanc" for variety if wanted.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy