Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

should I look for new liners or get new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
sorry numptie question.

I have a pair of mid range salamon ski boots (sorry cant recall model) which are 10 trs old. Im quite happy with the boots, nowt wrong with them and find them comfortable after previously enduring agony in ski boots.

I probably average over the years 7 days skiing a year, Im a large chap so the ski boot liners have lost a lot of their support.

Im thinking new liners would be fine but has boot technology changed that much I would be better getting something fresher, can I even get new liners for an old boot?

Help please??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This has been dicussed here numerous times before. I wouldn't put a new liner in a 10 year old boot shell as the plastic has most likely degraded.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2312661&highlight=degradation#2312661

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=8769
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I tried to get liners after mice ate mine...cheaper to buy new boots i'm afraid... new boots great !! some great technolgy at the moment and they are not expensive !!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@scotabroad, I had the same dilemma recently and went along to Lockwood's with the boots, thinking I'll buy a new pair but after a discussion with one of their boot fitters who went out to the workshop and returned with a new pair of liners which he moulded and fitted to my old boots and . . . all for £35.00!!!

Decided to keep boots and have had two trips with them already, as good as new!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Technology for "ordinary" alpine boots hasn't changed much if at all.

Foam fit liners £210 from slushnrubble - not top of the range Tecnicas as example, £349

So you could re-liner them. After 10 years though? Some plastics definitely degrade. Some not so much. I'd probably get new boots, from a good boot fitter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@scotabroad, if you have ordinary feet and ordinary requirements you could probably find a decent end-of-season bargain price for complete new boots.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
But just make sure that at least you dona shell check.

70 day boots, bought 10 years ago will feel very different from properly sized boots bought tomorow!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
with a 10 year old pair of boots, I would go for a new pair.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@scotabroad, surely the key question is do they still co-ordinate with current jacket and sallopettes

If not then new is clearly the way to go..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a new pair rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would go with new boots. If you wait until end of season you will be able to pick some up for around £150 half price. I had the same problem last year - my 10 year old boots had extensive work done on them for fat feet so I was hesitant to change boots, however I took the plunge and Snow and Rock did all the "alterations" required for free. The new boots are so much better than the ones - chalk and cheese.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I managed to get a pair of brand new liners for my now 14 year old rossignols via Snowheads (thanks again Snowyowl Smile ) for the cost of postage.. The seller had bought fancy liners so the ones that came with their boots were going a begging.

If your boots are a popular model it's possibly worth looking on snowheads/gumtree as someone may be selling the liners or boots + liners relatively cheaply. A lot of folk buy the kit then never use it so you can often pick up stuff that's in really good nick for not too much money.

I'm delighted with my new liners as it feels like wearing new boots again. I spent last week playing in the powder in Avoriaz and my ancient boots seemed fine - they've probably done 20-25 weeks skiing now and I reckon I'll get a good number more years yet.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 10-02-15 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
All good advice, esp Bertie Basset's Smile they are black and I see black is the new black in sallopettes this year. I had a really close look at the boots last night, they over winter in a scottish cupboard so theres not a lot of UV and heat in there, as is most of the scottish skiing I have done! Smile I have to say they still look pretty good, they are still glossy which is a sign not a lot of UV damage, and I am a pretty careful skier depsite being a heavyweight, I dont think they are ready to disintegrate tbh. But I hear whats being said above, I will investigate both options if a ready to hand liner comes along that isnt half the price of a new boot then fine, but otherwise a fine excuse for a new piece of kit "But dear, I need these to ensure my safety" could be useful Smile ciao!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I loved my Head FRs but new liners were only £30 cheaper than my new boots. I would go new boots unless you can find some bargain liners.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i use any excuse to buy new boots Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Now the proud owner of a pair of red Fischer Viron 12 CF boots Smile recommend Blue in Tisos shop north of Glasgow, two hours I was in there!!
ski holidays
@scotabroad, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Well-done that man!!

I bet you have a massive smile now.
snow report
a nervous smile as the missus still has to find out....
latest report
@Bob,
Quote:

I bet you have a massive smile now.

It'll fade after he's been wearing them for a couple of hours on the mountain Very Happy Very Happy

Three cheers for rental boots - Most comfortable boots in the world!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy