Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Max vertical

Poster: A snowHead
Hi what is the max vertical anyone has managed to ski on lift served train in a day, I know it depends on resort but would be interested to know
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
9800m
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends where we ski...In the Alps, Mrs MA and I usually ski 20,000 - 30,000 feet vertical each day. Our record is 35,000. Comparatively, in Scotland (slow lifts/queues) we'll normally do anything above 10-12,000 ft.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've never been on a train so tall I needed a lift to reach it. Sounds like an interesting idea, though
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
never been on the tube? loads of lifts to trains Wink

quick look at endomondo suggests ca. 35,000ft but i only looked at the one with the longest distance. most are probably 20-30kft
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In the 2 weeks this season, max is 12195m on one day according to SkiTracks. So just made it to 40,000ft.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
you used to be able to track this using your lift pass, certainly in Saalbach. and Schladming...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HERE YOU GO....

http://www.skiline.cc/home
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bob, Thanks for the link. I checked my own info using skiline and it shows a very different set of numbers from Ski Tracks with regard to vertical drop. Given that skiline is linked to my lift pass then I assume that it is more accurate but the difference is very significant indeed although the degree of variation does vary quite a lot resort to resort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict wrote:
Comparatively, in Scotland (slow lifts/queues) we'll normally do anything above 10-12,000 ft.

And that's actually 20-24,000 ft on skis too wink

An interesting comparison though, as I'll also ski 30,000+ ft vertical most days in an Alpine resort, but it never feels like I'm skiing a great deal more than on a day blatting about a Scottish ski centre. Of course, there are far fewer turns required on their motorway pistes ...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just more civilised.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On my trip in January this year, according to skiline, my biggest day was 7930m - and that was almost 1000m more than the biggest day I had ever recorded previously, 2 days before. 1400m more than any I had recorded on previous trips.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ascend/descend is, at least for me pretty much same no matter if measured with watch (gps and baro), phone (gsp) or skiline.cc. Max until now was 18.000m, but normally more around 13-14.000m.
@Bob, skiline.cc is pretty good to check your own stuff, but those "records" are just not real. Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My longest day was around 15500m of uplift, and close to 100km travelled.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Our max from 7 seasons of using various measuring devices is 15435m vertical in 3V and max distance skied 77km but not both on the same day. An average day in 3V is 11-12000m of vertical and 60km+ skied but it depends on the snow conditions and time of year (crowds?). No other ski area allows as much vertical as this but it may be that we know the 3V so well.
ski holidays
@bobbev999, don't know which app is best.who knows which app is best...But yep I assume that resorts know their own geography..
I don't think its meant to be taken seriously..
ski holidays
Did Everest twice in a day (16000m) in the 3V - first to last lift - worked out the old fashioned way from the height gained on the piste map.
latest report
Is there a site for tracking your lift pass at Alpe d Huez?
ski holidays
It might be more fun to discuss least vertical in one day e.g. two greens followed by an afternoon in the Folie.

Or possibly not.
ski holidays
@dogwatch, Or up and down in the Gondy wink
latest report
Mine was 17,708 vertical metres with 137km distance, the resort was Dorfgastein and it was fairly quiet so need to waste valuable skiing time in queues .
My legs ached a bit after that day Skullie

My least was 381 vertical with 2km.....the Apres was good though !
snow report
@Kooky, An epic record Madeye-Smiley
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
... worked out the old fashioned way from the height gained on the piste map.

Which seems to me to be, er, cheaper, lighter, and more accurate. All you need to do is find the fastest lift, check the vertical on it, and have the ability to count.
snow report
@Kooky, That's awesome but please don't tell me that we're going to try to break that record tomorrow Smile
ski holidays
@Kooky, or how about the charity height of Everest event in under 3 hours Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@bobbev999, She didn't mention that?
ski holidays
Mine is measured on a Suunto wristwatch/altimeter - so no idea of distance travelled.

Least vertical is about 1000 ft - when the Yad Moss (Nth Pennines) lift is off and we skin up for a couple of runs. Still good fun - always just nice to be out sliding about in the hills Smile.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy