Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selfie stick vs. ski pole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The trend for selfie stick GoPro-ing appears, in my mind at least, to have led to rather an odd phenomena where people elect to use a selfie stick (and thus have another thing to carry round all day) as opposed to utilising one of the long, handled poles already in their possession to which to attach their GoPro. Am I missing something here as to why a selfie stick is so much more advantageous than a clamp onto a ski pole?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes and no.

Ski poles (except some very long xc poles) are generally not quite long enough to allow you to get all your ego including head and feet into the frame. They are also quote heavy to hold out.

So my poles are all longer that your ski poles.

Using a short additional pole... I don't understand that, ask someone who does...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son has a short pole that he clamps the GOpro to, but not for taking selfies, it allows him to get the camera closer to whoever he is filming. It's actually the handle half of a telescopic kids Leki pole that the kids grew out of, and it's short enough to go in a rucksack. However, as he rarely skis with poles anyway, he isn't taking it in addition to any other poles!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The small telescopic poles are great for getting the gopro closer to the action and can be pointed in any direction you want. They also reduce a lot of the bumps and shakes you'll otherwise get. Much better than hand holding the gopro or using a fixed mount for many types of shot.

They also close down to be small enough to fit in a jacket pocket so you're not really carrying anything extra. Just try not to land heavily on that side or youi'll end up with some nasty bruising. I guess some people might not just use them to film skiing in which case carrying a ski pole around all day would seem a bit of a hassle.

Advantages over a ski pole in use? The main one would be that the gopro sits on the end of the pole so you can film with the gopro pointing away from the pole without any of the pole ending up in the shot.

Each to their own but they're less than a tenner so hardly over the top for a useful accessory.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy