Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dilemma on ski boot size

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
So I'm a bit of a cheap-skate.....or should I say cheap-ski....anyway I've seen a pair of ski boots that I really like on Ebay Mondo 28...........my present boots are ancient and were bought in the 1990s and suit my wide foot however the Mondo on them is 27.5, I wear size 8 1/2 to 9 shoes ( UK). My question is will I be really risking injury by using this size as they are slightly above the recommended size..

Any advise much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Unlikely to be risking injury but if they too big, then they are (a) too big, and (b) too big. Would you buy ordinary shoes the wrong size? Do yourself a favour and buy boots which are the correct size.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@musicman, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead If it isn't a silly question, how can you "really like" a pair of ski boots which you haven't tried on and which appeare to be the wrong size? Pretty colour?????
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
So if these were some shoes to match a dress that someone was going to wear for one night i'd say go for it.

But you are (a) going to be wearing these for maybe 8 hours a day, 48 hours of a week (b) are the way of connecting your feet to the ski.

So you will reduce control if the ski, so will ski shitter. But its OK they will look cool.

You will end up going to a fancy fitter, getting them adjusted to fit. That will cost what u r saving on eBay.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

You will end up going to a fancy fitter, getting them adjusted to fit.

my limited understanding of ski boot fitting would suggest there is absolutely no way of "adjusting" boots that are too big.

But, of course, they might not be too big. It all depends. One size X boot will fit fine, another size X boot won't. Like shoes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd say 28 would deffo be too big for an 8.5-9 show. My other half is a 10.5 shoe and skis 27.5.

When I started out I bought boots in the sales the same size as I hired because it was cheaper and no worse then hiring but 5 trips later I've had to replace them with a professionally fitted pair. The hire place was close but I ended up 4mm shorter and 8mm narrower in the new pair. Fit and performance greatly improved once I wasn't skiing in slippers.

Slightly too small can be made bigger but you can't really make big boots smaller. I'm sure a bootfitter will be along soon, but I'd be worried you will end up throwing good money after bad and not so cheapskate after all...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for some of your prompt answers, its nothing to do with looking cool that's just plain daft.... I note some of you guys are saying how can you like them if you haven't tried them...of course I know that's true...perhaps I should have phrased my question better. They are Salomon boots...and suit a wider foot my current ones are a little tight...I did bye the way have my feet measured. Thanks all, particularly PAM W and LAMPYGIRL.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:

my limited understanding of ski boot fitting would suggest there is absolutely no way of "adjusting" boots that are too big.

You have kids don't you? Then you'll know that you start with putting at least three pairs of socks on before they try boots on and they finish with the boots 2 or 3 years later in stockings. Otherwise you'd be bankrupted buying ski kit all the time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@davidof, I rent boots for kids. And I got the impression the OP was an adult. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
simples. too big
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

You will end up going to a fancy fitter, getting them adjusted to fit.

But, of course, they might not be too big. It all depends. One size X boot will fit fine, another size X boot won't. Like shoes.

I think it depends where is too big. But I also think you'd be left with a compromise. If the right boot is a 27.5 and you go to a fitter with a 28 I'd expect them to tell you. But if you go with a 28 that's too long but correct width and a 27.5 that is correct length but too narrow then there may be things they can do with either. HOWEVER I think they would say either change boot or expand the 27.5 rather than try to pad the extra space out in 28 which will then compress over time.

But I think too big shrinking will be a compromise. I certainly wouldn't buy a big boot thinking I will need to go to a fitter with any boot i buy at some stage and they will sort it. They may be able to improve it but it won't be perfect...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musicman wrote:
Thanks for some of your prompt answers, its nothing to do with looking cool that's just plain daft.... I note some of you guys are saying how can you like them if you haven't tried them...of course I know that's true...perhaps I should have phrased my question better. They are Salomon boots...and suit a wider foot my current ones are a little tight...I did bye the way have my feet measured. Thanks all, particularly PAM W and LAMPYGIRL.

I think what we are saying is you should go blind folded into a boot shop and try them all and pick the boot that fits, with the right flex for your skiing etc. That might be a salomon, that might be a cheapo brand you've never heard of. That might be something else. Buying boots on the netvis a 'made at least in a hire shop you can give the boot back and say try me with bigger or smaller or same size different brand.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
get the red ones.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@davidof, I rent boots for kids. And I got the impression the OP was an adult. wink

Works just as well for adult mates who have size 7 feet and you only have an old pair of knackered size 9 boots to lend them and erm some 208cm Rossi 9s skis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone.... I've decided I'll stay with my old boots until I can get the exact size....and save buy new next year!!
ski holidays
@musicman, You want to check your actual 'mondo' length, I was taught the following . . . place a piece of A4 paper short side against a vertical (wall, door frame etc. Place your foor on the paper with your heel snug against the vertical and place your weight into that foot. Get someone to mark on the paper the longest point. Repeat with other foot.

ALL this does is give you your Mondo size (in my case 27.5 on both feet), and there's NO substitute for a visit to a good bootfitter. But at least you will have a starting point. Manufacturers have different 'break points' . . . even or on the half . . . in their shell sizing and that's another reason to visit the fitter as he, she or pie monster will measure all your personal aberations and find you not just the size you need in differing ranges but also a boot that will be and stay your friend for life . . . or untill you decide that blue and poo brown is an evil combination and 'must' be changed.
Good luck.

Oh . . . and cut yer nails/get a pedicure before you go . . . it will be much apreciated
latest report
Mondo is supposed to be the length of your foot in cm.
We have Salomon rental boots at work, and we give out 26.5 as 8's, 27.5 as 9's, 28.5 as 10's. It seems to be fairly accurate. The sizes ending in zero as opposed to .5 are supposedly a bit narrower, but the shell length is the same, so on that basis a 28 would be narrow, and too long! Staying with the old boots seems like a good plan.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy