Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Alpine Club or BMC for insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm after a policy that covers my whole family for off piste skiing/ski touring
Membership of both of these organisations fits the bill but the cover provided by the AAC has lower maximums , I believe up to 25000 euros maximum to get you off the mountain and 10000 euros medical expenses.
Bearing in mind how expensive a helicopter evacuation could be ( I have touring trips planned to the lyngen alps in norway and the bernese oberland,Switzerland this season) and how costly medical bills could be, does the collective think this is sufficient cover ??
The BMC policy seems to be more robust and have higher maximum claim limits (£100000 search and rescue,£10million medical expenses) but there is approximately £300 difference in the annual premium.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 6-02-15 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@bobhitch, I have gone with AAC for the last few years but have never had cause to claim. On the rescue stuff, I'd investigate whether you are actually charged for helicopter rescue in the places you are visiting. If you are in the wilds in France, for example, rescue is a public service. Not sure what is the case in Norway or CH
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Arno- does anyone know the answer to arno's point as to whether rescue is a public service in Switzerland or Norway or whether its as expensive as everything else in these two places Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@bobhitch, no problem - and thank you for reminding to renew my AAC membership!

I think Switzerland can be pretty expensive but I'd be surprised if you got to more than 25K
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We go with AAC (we use it for summer stuff, reciprocal rights in huts etc as well) - from what I have gathered the limits are adequate for "normal" destinations within Europe as long as you have your EHIC as well.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RobinS wrote:
We go with AAC (we use it for summer stuff, reciprocal rights in huts etc as well) - from what I have gathered the limits are adequate for "normal" destinations within Europe as long as you have your EHIC as well.

+1 for AAC
bobhitch wrote:
...but the cover provided by the AAC has lower maximums ...

Get in touch with them if you need an extension to the cover limits: When we were touring in NW Iceland (Hornstrandir) we contacted them and they gave us an optional weekly rate for additional cover - I didn't bother in the end, but it was available if required.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+2 for AAC
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bobhitch, I don't know the Norway stuff but as far as medical costs go in Switzerland you only really need your E111C card.
The Swiss will charge you a flat fee of 92chf for hospital treatment, whatever it is, per calendar month. If you can afford that £65 "excess" there is no need for any medical insurance.
Heli rescue is not cheap, I was helied off a mountain a couple of years ago and they charged 85chf per flying minute....so if you need a hovering lift out...ouch!

Check for Norway...they are a sensible country and operate within E111C so maybe have something similar.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What's the membership fee for AAC ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm an AAC man myself too - but only as they allowed me to insure myself after my trip had actually started - the BMC were fussy about that for some reason
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
What's the membership fee for AAC ?
£46.50 for the year, including insurance, reciprocal-rights in huts etc http://aacuk.org.uk/p-membership-2015
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bobhitch, I have had AAC before but these days have normal ski insurance. Comparing BMC with AAC is not like for like. Even the AAC website says "NB this cover is primarily for mountain rescue, it is NOT comprehensive travel insurance". I really would not rely on AAC and an EHIC card. 10k euro medical cover is nowhere near adequate should you end up in a private hospital and it is not always certain you get to a state hospital in my experience.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The AAC cover is restricted (except for mountain rescue) to trips not exceeding 8 weeks. So far I have managed to live with this restriction by returning to the UK during half term week. However next season I shall be looking for continuous cover for the duration of the ski season; does anyone have a recommendation?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As far as I can see only chapter 2 is limited for the first 8 weeks, the mountain rescue part is all year as far as I can make out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rescue is all year round, medical cover is more than adequate with EH11, but only runs 8 weeks as above.
AAC is by far the best way to do a season, or CAF...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy