Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Airline lost luggage - val d'isere skiwear clothing hire?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello
A friend has just arrived in GVA from the US, heading to Val d'isere, but the airline left all (his and her) luggage back in NY. The airline won't be able to deliver it until tomorrow evening earliest. I checked online and couldn't find any skiwear hire alternatives in Val d'isere; does anyone know anything to the contrary or recommend a one day solution?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dt007 wrote:
.... recommend a one day solution?

The pub? Very Happy Very Happy

Seriously, that must be massively annoying. I'm in the process of packing for our trip to La Plagne on Sunday and I have split my sons and my clothes across 2 bags and 2 ski bags. That way we should have something to wear if Jet2 leave a bag or 2 in Edinburgh.

I would have thought that (a) the airline would have a liability up to a certain amount that may enable them to purchase some cheap gear (is there a Decathlon or such en-route) or (b) their travel insurance would probably cover more. However, I know a lot of US citizens who travel without insurance so if they are in that camp it won't help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. The airline might cover something but they won't know until they speak to the airline directly when they arrive at the hotel (they are on the way now). The people at the airport are typically only contractors so I assume can't process the claim. If they were driving themselves I would suggest stoping at a discount place, but they are in a transfer mini.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dt007, One of them could jump off the transfer bus in Bourg Saint Maurice, do some shopping then get the public bus up later.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think I remember seeing ski wear for hire at SnowBerry...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dt007 wrote:
The people at the airport are typically only contractors so I assume can't process the claim.

The handing agents at the airport should have processed the claim and advised what their rights are. It sounds as they they were fobbed off.

I've benefited a number of times from delayed luggage. On at trip to Singapore we knew that our bags would not arrive as our connection from Edinburgh to Heathrow was delayed and we literally had to run through Heathrow to make the flight to Singapore. They were about to shut the gate but let us board. On arrival at Singapore we went straight to the baggage desk and they confirmed that our bags hadn't made it and were on the next flight. They gave us a tidy sum of cash and some toilitries. I can't recall how much they gave us but it was enough for us to buy clothes for the evening (we had arrived late afternoon) and next day. At 8:00 am the following morning there was a knock on the bedroom door of the hotel and the porter was standing there with all our luggage. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks will tell them to check snowberry, assume they offer it in-resort.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, it's some "convention" - if the airline screw you, they pay. They may try to minimise it, but if you're reasonable then they will legally have to foot the costs. One reason why some insurance things are pointless - the airline pays.

I've borrowed snowboarding clothing and hired equipment when I've had my gear mis-routed. The airline pays reasonable costs, including for underwear and other stuff if you need to buy that. For BA, they have an Indian call centre, so their customer service is like a slap in the face. However the law is the law and I just threatened to issue proceedings to make them pay. Other airlines have better customer service.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This happened to a friend who came to see me in Avoriaz once for a weekend, and arrived Friday night sans baggages - thanks to the worlds favourite airline.
He called a well known credit card provider who packaged travel insurance with their card.
It was unbelievable: The provider, lets call them Floyds TCP [ Gold Premium ] to protect their identity, said that the policy did not provide for luggage replacement assistance until the customer had been without the luggage for 48 hours - really useful for short breaks!
My friend argued the toss with them for a good 30 mins, before they agreed to provide GBP50 emergency cover.
My friend was able to buy a pair of ski-gloves.
Luckily I rustled up some old Thinsulate gaiters, and a 1986 Nevica coat, and some friends of mine in the resort who run Absolute Sports lent him some skis, boots and poles.
The airline were as good as their word, and did deliver his baggage to the hotel.
It arrived Sunday at 4pm - half an hour before his transfer back to GVA.
It was really bad how the airline fobbed him off to his travel insurance provider, and then they fobbed him off with the 48 hours nonsense.
It's interesting to know that the airline foots the bill, as this was definitely not how thaey had painted it to my friend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was caught in a similar situation and stopped off in Bourg and bought new kit at the discount shop up the main street (on the left going up the hill, approaching the barracks). I think the jacket was 15 euro the trousers 10 and the gloves another 15. Since it was sunny used sunglasses instead of goggles.

When the zip on my son's jacket broke in Tignes, the market sold jackets at a similar low price. I am not sure what day and where the market is in Val d'Isere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had our luggage stolen one year on the way out from the transfer bus which resulted in a combination of hiring equipment and buying (keep receipts) in Bourg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the Montreal convention is what you need: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_Convention ... but most North American airlines will offer you the compensation immediately.

British Airways once suggested when they had delayed me at LHR for 24 hours that unless I could produce receipts for my food, they would not pay for it. I pointed out that a small claims magistrate would be most unlikely to expect me to prove that I had in fact needed to eat. Yeah, the airline which likes cattle class customers so much they'll deliberately pretend they don't understand the international law they work under, only speak to you from India, and only pay you what they owe if you know how to issue proceedings. BAd.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Happened to me once. Salopettes, gloves, ski socks, mask in hand luggage. Wear ski jacket on plane.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Think I will do what @dobby says on my next trip. Imagine if they take more than a day getting your bag to you. Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mike-H, in Norway last year it took 3 days to gets bags to someone! That's the problem with flying to a small airport with very few arrivals.
snow conditions
Interesting - friend of mine flew from Heathrow to Edinburgh with BA last year where we were meeting for a golf weekend. And indeed he did, unlike his clubs. He then bought new golf shoes/trousers/polo shirt (at way over the odds prices) and hired clubs. Kept receipts and put in a claim - all paid back without any argument.

Guess they will always try to fob you off on the grounds many people will just accept it but if you ignore them and put your claim in they usually pay-up.
snow conditions
That montreal convention link is a great one. Printing it now for my trip on Thursday. I could re equippe for a few days on $1693 each!!
snow conditions
Hi re Montreal convention is it the “special drawing rights “ you can use to cover your additional costs whilst luggage is lost?
snow conditions
@csmith, You have already bumped one ancient thread on lost luggage, no need to do it for another.
latest report
@rjs, does it matter? He has searched and founded what looks relevant
snow conditions
Quote:
Salopettes, gloves, ski socks, mask in hand luggage. Wear ski jacket on plane
This. But not forgetting ski boots in hand luggage too wink

We've had checked-in luggage going missing too many times (especially trans-Atlantic, when connections have been involved) to take a chance on sticking ski kit (skis excepted) in the hold.

Last winter, one of our group missed two days of a six day, hut to hut, guided ski tour when all of his kit and clothes didn't turn up at Innsbruck. He ultimately had to hire all the gear, including clothes, and book a local guide to catch us up along the way... rolling eyes At least he got there in the end.
snow conditions
Gaza wrote:
Dt007 wrote:
.... recommend a one day solution?

The pub? Very Happy Very Happy

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
dobby wrote:
Happened to me once. Salopettes, gloves, ski socks, mask in hand luggage. Wear ski jacket on plane.

Our luggage has been delayed at least seven times on Transatlantic ski trips over the years; and at least 3 times in Europe Shocked . We've now stopped counting, TBH... rolling eyes

For that reason we now do as dobby does - and travel with our ski clothes (plus ski boots) in our hand luggage, while wearing our ski jackets.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy