Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My video (a beginner) - advice and critique please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, here's a video of me skiing last season after my first week on the snow. Next weekend we're heading back to the mountains and I would really appreciate any good tips and advice you can give me based on this video... I hope it's clear enough.

Thank you!

http://youtube.com/v/XwFybHq_rFA
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi there @chenav and welcome to snowheads Very Happy,

You look confident skiing down the piste and keep a constant rhythm when turning.

The main thing I see is that you are turning using your upper body. The upper body (hips/shoulders) are turning to pull the skis round but you should actually be aiming for the skis to turn first.

Try a drill such as holding the poles up and keeping something on the edge of the piste (e.g. a tree) visible between the poles then try to turn the legs in the new direction without turning the upper body.

Another main issue is that you are leaning inside the turn (inclinating) where you should be aiming to angulate the body.

A drill to fix that is to drag both poles keeping them in contact with the snow at all times. When dragging the poles keep the hands in front with the baskets dragging roughly in line with the boots. You can even stretch a little downhill at the end of the turn to exagerate the angulation and get you in a better position for the following turn.

Have fun on holiday! Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not at all bad for just one weeks skiing.

You have the typical problems of someone who's maybe not been taking lessons:

- Using your shoulders and upper body to make the turn happen.
- Sitting back on the skis (skiing in the back seat) rather than being up and forward
- Not enough movement in the transition phase (where you finish one turn and get yourself in position ready to start the next one).

A good start would be to watch Darren Turner's videos here on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia/videos

I'd also suggest getting some lessons when you go skiing. Instructors are great at working with you to iron out the problems, particularly important before they become too ingrained.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really nice, you have enough control to have great fun. A few good lessons would turn you into a very nice skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What @born2ski said: concentrate on keeping your upper body pointing down the hill independent of your legs - known as upper/lower body separation - and also practice the (brilliant) double pole drag drill to improve angulation.

That should keep you going for a week. Lots to learn, but overloading yourself with too much technical stuff can be a hindrance when you're starting out, and other stuff may come naturally - for someone with just one week of skiing, you're impressively good on that video.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi guys, thanks a lot for your replies!

Just for the record, regarding lessons, I did take group lessons for my week in Austria last year, which gave me a lot of confidence, but I also benefited greatly from "private sessions" with my fiancee which is a more experienced skier. I also spent quite some time watching Darren's videos before the trip. Smile That said, this time around I think I'll definitely take a couple of private lessons to improve the technique.

So, basically you all gave the same two important tips - keep the body pointing downhill and work on angulation. And of course, stop sitting on the skis... I'll do my best to implement those in the next vacation. Thank you!! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy