Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Restaurant in Chatel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've spent quite a lot of time in Chatel over the last four seasons and mostly eat at home however we do like to go out once in a while. we've been to the usuals - Le Pierrier, Fiacre, Poya I wondered if Snowheads could let me know their favourites. I always wonder about the hotel restaurants and whether they're worth a look?

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.renardhotel.com/

very nice, a little out of town towards Linga.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In La Chapelle (5KM down the valley) http://restaurant.michelin.fr/restaurant/france/74360-la-chapelle-d-abondance/hotel-les-cornettes-de-bises/2book4b
Each time I have been it has been absolutely fantastic (probably why it is in the michelin guide) - you WILL NEED TO BOOK. I had the EUR33 menu on Saturday night (But they start @ 23), I have never managed to finish a meal there as the food is sooooo good and the portions so generous. No idea how they do it for the money. There are some really nice touches, like the special dessert you need to order when you arrive, which is served flambé accompanied with indoor fireworks, and a woman with a hury-gurdy who sings at your table while the waiter serves the special dessert. Also, if you need to venture downstairs to visit the bathrooms, take a few minutes to follow the corridor round to the right. The display cases start off pretty standard, but get wiereder as you go along the corridor, when you get to the end , go up the stairs and carry on - it gets a bit creepy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@alj, It really depends what you want. Give us a clue - haute cuisine? atmosphere? local specialities? cheap and cheerful?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@DJL,

Well over a 7 week stay - 4 weeks in Jan and three Feb/Mar we are happy to try most. We had a great (reasonably) meal in Poya a couple of weeks ago and earlier on went for burgers and pizzas at L'Oxxys - happy to explore.

@WindOfChange,

This sounds like a very interesting option - not sure about the hurdy-gurdy!!

@Hyst,

Thanks for the option

Look forward to hearing about others - always good to take a chance to something different
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I meant reasonably expensive meal at Poya 50E with wine......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A few options:

Le Cerf in Hotel Macchi has the "best" food - in a Michelin star kind of way. Bil to match but it is a top quality establishment. Top tip if you are in the village and fancy a coffee. About 50 cents more than everywhere else but served with a homemade biscuit or little cake and really classy surroundings

La Ripaille near Linga ia a very simple place with decent food that is not too expensive and the staff seem genuinely pleased to see you.

Les Cornettes (as above) is famous locally and rightly so. Take a big appetite. Salade Savoyarde is a fantastic starter.

Our current favourite is the Clos Savoyard in La Chapelle (near the Cret Beni lifts). Hot stone or brasserade where you coook your own meat or any of the local specialities.

I like Le Vieux Four on the road up to the Super Chatel bubble but Mrs DJL has gone off it a bit. The set lunch at about E15 is great value.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DJL, thanks great suggestions. Sounds like Les Cornettes is a must. We're heading back out on the 21st Feb for 3 weeks so will try to incorporate at least one of the above into our trip Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the risk of subverting this thread (apologies alj if that happens).

We're off to Chatel soon, but are pescatarian (fish eating veggies). Any recommendations of that sort?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The trout with almonds in Les Cornettes is v.good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@LittleRob, Cornettes has plenty of fish options. At least one on each of the fixed price menus and they are good (acording to my daughter who often chooses one).

Le Kandahar near bottom of Bechigne usually has a Filets de perche special.

You should be OK though being France they dont really understand vegetarianism of any hue.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
though being France they dont really understand vegetarianism of any hue

Yes. Been there, done that wink

We've been going to France several times per year (Winter, summer and random times in between) for a long time now, so we're well used to the token bit of ham in a salad. It was more by way of specific recommendations, since once again this forum has revealed itself to be an amazing fund of knowledge.

LR
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mountain restaurants a bit less likely to provide a decent option than the village ones. Cheese baguette might become a bit much after a while! Rastaurant Plaine Dranse usually has a good French onion soup and a few salads.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will try to post a full TR later, but had a very good meal at The Grizzly in Châtel. To be honest we only went because there were 11 of us and we couldn't get a table elsewhere, but the food was good, and the service friendly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy