Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chevril, VDI, for an offpiste newbie...yes or no?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, I have my annual "boys trip" coming up at the end of March, and I have the chance to go heli-skiing. The run is called Chevril in Val, under the watchful eye of well known poster Steve Angus. I'd love to do it, but don't know if I'm biting off more than I can chew.

Me...I'm 40, reasonably fit and getting fitter in the gym. I've been skiing about 10 years and consider myself a pretty competent piste skier. I'm pretty quick, perhaps not technically perfect, fairly confident, and I'll happily ski reds pretty well, with a more cautious approach on blacks, but I'll pretty much get down anything. Had a really good week in VDI in December, enjoying my new gym-grown ski legs, apart from one crap "off" day in the middle of the week when I kept getting knackered for no apparent reason. Normal service resumed the next day. The other guys I'd be going with are broadly similar on piste, one skier and three boarders. My skis are Head Integrale 005 170s.

Trouble is, I've done very little off piste. Probably not much more than an hour in my skiing life. I've had a few powder days, some where the conditions (on piste) go from pow to piste and back again, and I'd manage to sometimes get the pow skiing to "click" for a few turns but would then often have difficulty "changing modes" depending on the changing conditions. A bit like being in the wrong gear and taking a while to change into the right one, I guess.

I'm also aware that my skis are very piste focused and are probably not suitable for Chevril, and I'd probably need to hire something fatter for the day.

Now, I'd love to do the run, but I'm worried that I'm just going to hold everyone up and get peed off with it...with no way back. Steve will check everyone's skiing before the day to make sure they are up to it. The boarders are naturally going to be better off piste than I, and the other skier is much better off piste than I am. Problem is, I really need to make a decision before we go out there so we can book the helo(s) etc.

So, would a reasonably fit, reasonably fearless, fairly experienced piste skier be able to strap some big planks on his feet, and just go for it, and knowing there is no way back, make this the perfect opportunity (under Steve's instruction) to actually get this nailed and be a semi-competent off piste skier by the time I got to the bottom? I do actually pick stuff up pretty quickly...I skied a black at the end of my first ever week's skiing aged 30 something, and I do other things like sailing high performance dinghies, mountain biking, that kind of "hurt yourself easily" stuff.

Or, realistically, am I better off getting a few lessons first, as this is just not suitable for a novice in powder, and perhaps have a go another year, and let the good guys really go for it this time?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes. Go for it!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a similar thing a few years ago, not sure if its the same one ? It was called 'Toviere du Chevril' iirc , basically hike from top of the Toviere, past the weather station (mickeys ears), quite a steep rocky climb in places and then ski down to le lac' and a heli pick up back into Tignes or Val.

If same then I would probably say go for it, sound like you will be tested out first anyway, the toughest part is the climb..

Run down is fairly steep at the top but mostly red/blue terrain for the rest. A really good half day 'tour' ! (And beer will never have tasted as good Wink )

eta - Its not the famed Mickeys ears couloir you ski but a more gentle run further across !
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How much is this costing. Reason I ask is because for me you'd probably get better value for me doing some general guided off piste. This sounds like something you'd get more out of with a little more experience.

That said if the others were intent on doing it and I was in your shoes, I would do it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First and foremost I would book a few lessons before this trip so that an instructor can assess your ability - a morning doing simple off piste would be a good starter. It is a fabulous run and has the feel of being away from the madding crowds with the added excitement of the helo ride - especially if it is through the La Daille Gorge.

However, do not get overcome with powder fever - it may not be - depending on the snow it may well be chopped up, it may have suffered melt and refreeze - there is n way of knowing what he conditions will be like. By the end of March it can be quite warm (the start around the Mickeys Ears Peak is at 2800m) so the only way your instructor will know is to speak to others that have done it. That said it could be powder or the avalanche risk could be to high to do it. Also I wouldn't get hung up on booking helos etc - any booking that the ski schools do will be tentative on conditions for both skiing and helo flying. They will also check in again before you commit below the traverses which give you access to Val or Tignes. Although it will appear that you are alone down the hill you are likely to find a number of groups waiting at the quarry for the helo - it is unlikely to turn out for just a few of you - its profit relies on a number of shuttles
wink . It is not unknown for there to be a bit of a 'bus queue' to develop down there, its how things work up here in the mountains.

Oh and just a point of order - its not heli skiing - that is illegal in France. You have a climb up followed by a helo taxi ride from the bottom of the slope back to base.

But if it all goes to plan - you will spend €90-100 and really have something to remember.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 5-02-15 17:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Skiain, TBH, you'd be best to talk to Steve about this - he will have (or will form over time) a view on the strength of the group and whether anyone is likely to be out of their depth.

As others have said, don't bank on it being powder! I am sure Steve will use all his experience to find the best snow on the descent, but it could be remarkably piste like if it hasn't snowed for a few days and/or you have got into spring conditions. Even if the ski down is a bit of a chore, the heli pick-up will be fun.

I did something similar a few years back in Alpe d'Huez with some friends who are not great off piste but were up for a bit of an adventure. It wasn't the quickest descent of my life but everyone had a good time. Definitely worth it IMV
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy