Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

frozen feets

Poster: A snowHead
Problem with cold feet at the moment - and I don't mean slightly chilly man-up-and-get-on-with-it cold, it's numb white flesh verging on frostbite cold. Today's wheeze was silk undersocks and footwarmers, but there's not enough space in the boots for the warmers and the toes just get squished and cold again. Next, I will try leaving footwarmers in the boots for an hour or so before going out, so feet go into warm boots to start with.

Any other suggestions? Anyone know of any magic warm socks? I already have decent (Falke) socks, so it's not like I'm skimping on them. I haven't had this problem before (or not consistently anyway), though I have managed to get chilblains most winters, so I may have buggered about with the circulation in the toes I suppose.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boot heaters are very good, although not a cheap option. I have a set by Thermic, although I think there are another couple of options available. Having had stage 2 frostbite in both big toes I know its no laughing matter, nor the simple application of Rule No. 5
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neoprene type boot covers??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suffered from this last week for the first time. Mates reckon it was we were extremely high (3600) and although the sun was shining it was around -18.

First hut stop foot was out of boot and I didn't move until warmth and full circulation was present. I was quite worried with the feeling of cold and onset of numbness. But after this warm up it didn't affect me again all day and I reckon this was because we were at a lower altitude the rest of the day?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar, are those going to work with board boots? Where does the battery pack go?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went for a set of boot heaters this year - probably also Thermic, can't remember but fitted by CEM on a trip to Bicester in October, they were somewhere around £200 so bit of a deep breath required but I have really suffered in the past so finally went for it, particularly as we were going to be in Vermont at New Year, and it was -18C and my feet stayed nice and warm. Also using them all the time here too in France and they have made a world of difference to my comfort. I cannot see how I could fit the teabag type warmers into my boots. We have boot warmers/dryers in the chalet so always put the boots on them as soon as we get back in the afternoon/evening and then put them on when we get up in the morning, or someone remembers, and I then put mine on even if we are going somewhere in the car while they are warm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I get cold feet very easily and my right big toe goes numb in the blink of an eyelid! I even sleep in bed socks in hot summer weather. One trick I learned was to always put thoroughly warm feet into thoroughly warm boots. I made the mistake of leaving my boots in the car one night over the new year week, consequently had cold feet all day, not good!

I know my issues are of poor circulation so I tend to do a lot of moving my feet and legs around rapidly, before putting my boots on. Much to the amusement of anyone watching

Laughing

If my feet start the day warm, they tend to stay warm!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Lizzard, an arrangement something like this:

The heating element sticks to your current footbeds inside the boot (or you can get new footbeds with a built-in heating element, and then the cable to the battery pack follows a convenient route to the top of the boot (in ski boots this works well between shell and liner, but maybe in front of the tongue for snowboarding boots?). Battery pack has a clip which will attach to the top of the boot in some way.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sidas have brought out a custom heated liner that looks pretty good. I was all set to give them a go in Les Arcs, but they didn't have the stock in the shop. Will definitely be going for them when I get my new boots, as I suffer with very cold toes. The teabag toe warmers were good for me, but only until I get sorted properly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Lizzard, "sounds" like you may be manifesting Reynaud's. PITA. Hands too or just feet?

A. If you can check, do your feets change colour.

B. See your GP (or French equiv)

C. The OH uses Sidas heated insoles which have smalled batteries than those mentioned and work quite well.

In extremis you can always upgrade to heated motor bike socks,
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@under a new name, no, just feet. Though my mother seems to get Reynaud's, and my bitten hand has taken over a month to heal - I put this down to cold, but possibly my circulation could be better. The first and second toes on the right foot go numb and white - it's my front foot, so spends most of the day strapped in, while the other one is let out to deal with lifts etc.

I was getting terminally cold feet while out and about in general, but spending a stupid amount on a pair of Sorel Caribous seems to have cured that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ALQ wrote:
Neoprene type boot covers??

This^ they work really well, in Canada in minus30 degrees we were also using the tbag type warmers between the neoprene boot glove and the shell of the boot, kind of like double glazing for your feet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Lizzard, I had an issue a couple of years back, turned out my boots weren't totally dry before I put them on, just a hint of moisture made my feet very cold.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Numb and white sounds likevReynauds @Lizzard, I'm afraid.

But I'm not a doctor snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Saw some heated socks in a ski shop window in Chamonix last week. Either Sidas or Conformable? Pricey, though if they work, money will not matter!
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
Problem with cold feet at the moment - and I don't mean slightly chilly man-up-and-get-on-with-it cold, it's numb white flesh verging on frostbite cold. Today's wheeze was silk undersocks and footwarmers, but there's not enough space in the boots for the warmers and the toes just get squished and cold again. Next, I will try leaving footwarmers in the boots for an hour or so before going out, so feet go into warm boots to start with.

Any other suggestions? Anyone know of any magic warm socks? I already have decent (Falke) socks, so it's not like I'm skimping on them. I haven't had this problem before (or not consistently anyway), though I have managed to get chilblains most winters, so I may have buggered about with the circulation in the toes I suppose.

Yes there are heated Socks too. Just got some as mine get cold. They are made by Thermic (like boot heaters) and Lenz. Got mine from here. http://www.skiequipmentuk.co.uk/brands/therm-ic/ Note you can get heated jackets, hats, boots, gloves and socks. The batteries are going to be heavy though if you go for everything Shocked The heat is adjustable so you can have the front foot on high and leave the other off. Lenz have an app for you phone to control the heat !

I got some Thermic ones and will be trying them on Saturday.

Edit to add adjustments possible
snow report
£160 for a pair of socks! Laughing Still, if it prevents the toes dropping off it could be worth it.
ski holidays
Lizzard wrote:
£160 for a pair of socks! Laughing Still, if it prevents the toes dropping off it could be worth it.

That is for the set (batteries etc) and you can then just get the socks by them selves which is cheaper for the extra pairs.
snow conditions
@Lizzard, hmmm, I think heated liners a better idea...
ski holidays
@Lizzard, Custom heated liners were 230 euros in the shop (inc fitting). They are girly pink though
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:

Once you have the starter pack additional socks are around 70 euros. Still pricey I think and my concern is how long would a pair of socks actually last. I know they are guaranteed for maybe two years, however if they are worn every day??? (and washed every night)

I currently use BootDoc socks, which although costly I find are the best around but don't give a great deal of insulation. I think it is important to have fresh dry socks each day for warmth and hygiene reasons but I know some that will wear the same socks for three or four days.

I have issues with cold feet too. All my boots are fitted with heating. I don't notice my feet warming up when switched on, but more importantly I don't feel the terrible cold. My boots are custom fit, so changing to thicker socks or considering other options can be tricky. My issue is caused by my low pulse, although the BP is fine, so it's important to have perfect fitting boots and footbeds to stop any pressure points.
ski holidays
I have boot heaters.

Daughter has Lenz socks. We certainly don't wash them every night.

its really important to dry your boots out at night. Remove the liners. Neoprene boot gloves also work quite well
latest report
Another ski boot heater user here: Hotronic E3. Over £100 but appreciate them every day I ski, particularly for coaching in the snow dome where I can be standing a lot. Modern close fitting race boots with thin liners aren't warm!
latest report
My feet are the warmest when I ski only with a panty hose on my feet. Make sure my feet have enough room to wiggle my toes, feet don't get wet from sweat, which is the biggest factor in cold feet, they get wet and cold, and never warm up again.
latest report
Well, ta for all the ideas everyone. I think I will look into heated socks or liners, as I'm not convinced the extra insole will actually fit in the boot along with the foot. Anyone know if the custom liners could then be transferred into a new boot at a later date?
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Well, ta for all the ideas everyone. I think I will look into heated socks or liners, as I'm not convinced the extra insole will actually fit in the boot along with the foot. Anyone know if the custom liners could then be transferred into a new boot at a later date?

I don't know about other systems but the Hotronic fitting is a thin element stuck to top of existing insoles in the toe area, then a liner over entire insole. Doesn't take up much room.
ski holidays
@Lizzard, teh SIDAS system is designed to live alongside (at least ) SIDAS custom insoles http://www.sidassport.com/en/our-products/winter-sports/heating-components-85-2.html
ski holidays
+1 on the thermic socks. After taking abuse all week due to the cost, I used them for the first time last weekend in -15˚ Zell am Ziller and they worked perfectly. No uncomfortable cables and the highest setting is too hot if left on for more than 10 minutes. The middle setting lasted the full day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Lizzard, Just a thought, but are your boots dry when you put them on? Dry boots have made quite a difference to my feet.
ski holidays
I bought my wife heated footbeds as she always has cold feet and she hated them. She saw these http://www.whizzski.co.uk/online_shop/kosy_boot_pro on someone at the Chill Factore in Manchester and, though I think they look a bit daft, the lady wearing them swore by them. Guess what she's getting for her birthday next week? Very Happy
snow conditions
I would heat the legs with layers so it keeps the blood warm to the feet rather than buy carry all that electronic gear.
Suppose you can turn it off and on where with layers you just vent with a zip.
snow report
Make sure that boots are fitted correctly. A classic error is to over tighten to help compensate with poor technique. Whilst it may not stop the issues completely, correct fitment, care when doing them, up can help circulation and warmth.
snow report
@Lizzard, French boot fitter told me the custom liners can be fitted a couple of times, but better to fit with the boots you're sticking with
snow report
@Lizzard, are you vegetarian?
latest report
@Tirol 164, yes, I have to say I found this out when I got new shell only ski trousers - underleggings and smartwool underpants made the difference to foot temperature without changing socks or boots.
snow report
I have also noticed my toes getting cold when off piste in snow that flows over the boot...seems to conduct away the heat, perhaps breaking up the close thermal boundary layer and also preventing the sun getting to my black boot shells.

There's a tip for boot buyers...forget fancy light colours, go for black. (or will they then black-body radiate...need to google...)
latest report
Quote:

@Lizzard, are you vegetarian?

Why, do vegetarians have cold feet? Puzzled
ski holidays
@Lizzard, bacon sarnies were specifically designed to keep the feet in tip-top condition. Nothing else comes close.
snow report
@Lizzard,
Im more concerned that you are snowboarding now. I hope you still find the time to strap 2 bits of wood on your feet. Very Happy
latest report
@Timg60, I did try it earlier this season and it felt very strange indeed, I have to say. Didn't get cold feet that day though, interestingly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy