Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which tour bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some touring bindings for the missus
She has only ever done a walk up a gentle green but quite enjoyed it
So looking for lightness and ease of operation
Look XM
Marker tour
Have been a couple of avail options
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will she use them for resort skiing as well as touring? What model of boot does she have?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lots of threads here on Marker binding (which I personally like and have on one pair). However, I bought my daughter the Atomic version of the Salomon AT equivalent because it came in a smaller footplate size than the Salomon. It is also marginally easier to engage and disengage as you can use your ski pole (as opposed to the Marker where you have to use your finger to pull the release switch. Like the Marker she can use her non tour boots with it. Weight is obviously way higher than Dynafit (or variants) but she doesn't skin for more than 1 hour at a time so not really an issue.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If buying the Atomic / Salomon / Look bindings check if they are the MNC or WTR version. Multi Norm Compatible = Works with nearly all boots. Walk To Ride = Only works with alpine boots and boots with WTR soles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Marker bindings should work with nearly all boots, but in practice some boots with touring soles are too deep to fit in (My girlfriend's BD Shivas being one of the boots that don't fit). This can be solved by grinding the soles down a bit on a belt sander. I'm not certain, but I suspect that this problem is more of an issue with smaller feet sizes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
She does all resort Sking
The touring would probably just involve a gentle walk up a groomed run on a non skiing day or maybe some really lightweight back country
Her boots are oldish salomon alpine 22.5
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmm, slightly tricky to make a recommendation because it is likely that if she decides that she wants to do more skinning (on piste or off piste) she will want to get new boots with a walk mode. Would be a shame to find out that the boots which fit her best don't work with her bindings.

Best option would be to buy some new boots and some new bindings at the same time, that way you can check any incompatibility problems before buying.

As to bindings, the Marker F10s are lighter than the Salomon or Tyrolia frame bindings, but offer very similar alpine binding like performance. The F10s had some problems with breakages in their first generation, but that's all fixed now. See my comments above about compatibility with touring boots.

Salomon Guardian 13s are good bindings, but heavy. They are available rebadged as Look or Atomic bindings. Again see my comments above about compatibility with touring boots.

Tyrolia Adrenalin 13s look good on paper, but I've never seen a pair.

Fritschi Scout / Freeride. An old design that is starting to look out of date compared to newer less sloppy bindings.

Tyrolia Ambition 10. Have played with a pair in a shop and i suspect that they are no less sloppy than the Fritschi Freeride, despite being more modern.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Eek, just noticed she has size 22.5 feet...

Guardians go down to bsl 260mm. Markers to bsl 265mm. Fritschi to bsl 260mm.

Choice of boots with a walk mode might be limited in a size 22.5, so my earlier comments about buying some touring boots might be irrelevant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For a gentle walk up and light touring Markers F10 or 12 or Barons should serve her well, they are not very light but ski like normal alpine bindings and take normal alpine boots. I don't like Fritschis for resort skiing unless in powder. Very sloppy and ramp is very high which makes skiing hard pack a bit "interesting".
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy