Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Choice of Freeride Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have just been recommened this forum !! I was after some advise over choice of freeride skis. I am just back from a week in Tignes getting the legs warmed up before going to Breck for 2 weeks and I tried a pair of Line Assassin MTX pro and they are so much better than my skis it is time to splash out.

I was hoping to get some opinions on the best skis, so far I am considering the following, I really want a pair of skis that are twin tips or as much as the assassins are. :-

Scott Atec Pro's
Scott Santiago Missions (Not sure if they are twin tips ???)
Salomon 1080 Foils (Tried the old 1080 and they are too soft for all mountain or my weight)
Line Prophet 80's ( new verison of the assasssin MTX pros as far as I can see but not sure about the colour !!!)

I try to spend more time off piste than on and would be an advanced skier of around level 8. I am 6'4" and 80kg.

Has any one tried any of these this year or are there others I should be considering ???

I tried last years Dynastar bid troubles whilst in tignes and preferred the Assassins.

Cheers

Andy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andy, Welcome to Snowheads.

I'd go with the Line Prophet's from that list...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads buzzmonster snowHead

I ride pocket Rockets which I love but if u found the 1080's too soft, PR's probably would be too.
U might want to add the K2 Seth pistols or Seth Vicious to your list to check out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowheads,

Head Madtrix Mojo's
Dynastar Legend 8000 or 8800
Stöckl Stormriders XL

basically 5 pages of skis to choose from here (but there are many more freeride skis available)

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/index.php?cPath=1_53_163&osCsid=490988c777bab6c7f9ade11979ea9313
I've no connecton to Telemark-pytenees it's just they stock a lot of freeride skis
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am a big fan of Voelkl, their wood cores are second to none and they have a bomber reputation amongst ski bums/freeriders. Wood is such a good material for skis, when you ski off psite you skis take a lot more abuse, a wood core will last longer. I skied with a guide last year who visited Voelkl....they make their world cup skis on the same production line as Joe Blogg's skis unlike many other manufacturers.

I guess you need to find a sidecut that works for your weight and purpose, there is the trade-off between flotation v edge to edge transfer. I am 72kg, 6'2" and bought skis with 115/84/105 after I demoed over two seasons. You are quite heavy (plus you might also be wearing a backpack with gear) so a stiffer ski is probably better. The Teutonic brands (voelkl/atomic/blizzard) are traditonally stiffer skis than say French skis.

Best thing is to DEMO as many skis as you can.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowman wrote:
I am a big fan of Voelkl, their wood cores are second to none and they have a bomber reputation amongst ski bums/freeriders. Wood is such a good material for skis, when you ski off psite you skis take a lot more abuse, a wood core will last longer. I skied with a guide last year who visited Voelkl....they make their world cup skis on the same production line as Joe Blogg's skis unlike many other manufacturers.

No they don't, they make the volume skis in China.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ise, I do not think that the guide went all the way to China .....in any case on my Voelkls it says "Made in Germany". Not that there is anything wrong with skis made in China, I am sure the Chinese know how to glue some layers of wood and stuff together.

I know that most volume skis are made in the Far East, but in this case we are not exactly talking about their volume range such as 4 and 5 stars. The skis ski bums and freeride experts ski on are not really that sort of skis and are probably still being made in Germany. Btw I read somewhere (I think it was on Peter Keelty's site, not the Voelkl site) that they actually get their wood cores from their own tree plantations in Germany which should help quality control.

No, I am not connected to Voelkl in any way.
snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hey i spent the summer in nz on a pair of prophets, we didnt get too much snow to play about with but i still had a blast on mine, would recommend them, they are a very versatile ski. having said that i havent tried any of the others on your list so i couldnt compare then. I understand that they are largely the same ski as the assasin mtx pro though so if you liked those, you will probably enjoy the prophets just as much. whatever you get have a good time in breck
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for the responces - tending towards the Prophet 80's but struggling to fins a demo pair in Breck at the moment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
buzzmonster,
Try and find a pair of Elan 666's and then try and wipe the smile of your face Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just got my Aztec Pro's today, took about 10 days to get from the states to Australia....can't wait to get them into some Himalayan powder
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy